Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Little Jesse

Default Re: New here & need a bit of help !

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    What a great update!
    I saw the "armage" video as well, that's adorable!

Read the posts, and a cat was mentioned.
    FYI..........Cat bites and EVEN cat saliva is deadly to squirrels, there
    HAS to be NO interaction.

Thanks for the update and the video!
    Yeah we do have cats but they're so laid back they dont pay no attention to her at all. And when she's not being held by one of us she's safe in her cage in a spare room with door closed.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to JayB from:

Nancy in New York (10-19-2016)

Woohoo food is in. !
    Any tips on how much I should be mixing of each of the 3 pouches to her formula ? She seems to like the Hi-Protein Blocks I got her too !!
    Thank You
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Blackmore View Post
    Woohoo food is in. !
    Any tips on how much I should be mixing of each of the 3 pouches to her formula ? She seems to like the Hi-Protein Blocks I got her too !!
    Thank You

My computer is running really slow so it may be a while before I reply IF you reply.
    What 3 pouches are you talking about?

Henrys healthy vitimins,Calcium and Healthy Protein. It came as a MBD package

Henrys healthy vitimins,Calcium and Healthy Protein. It came as a MBD package
    Was that picture posted before, because if it was..............I never even saw it.
    You have to call Leigh (at Henrys' where you bought it) on this one, I've never used it. Did this come with the kit?
    If so, are there any instructions? Probably not if you're asking on the board.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

JayB (10-19-2016)

Yes the pic was there when I made the post. Jessie is doing amazingly well already she's trying to run around on the spare bed and bouncing around in circles in her nice clean cage lol so cute.
    Ok I'll give her a call.
    Thanks

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to JayB from:

Nancy in New York (10-19-2016)

Yes the pic was there when I made the post. Jessie is doing amazingly well already she's trying to run around on the spare bed and bouncing around in circles in her nice clean cage lol so cute.
    Ok I'll give her a call.
    Thanks

You have NO idea how thrilled I am that Jessie is doing so well.
    You've brought her a LONG way.

EDIT: I wonder if it was because I was having computer problems before.
    perhaps the photo didn't load for me.
    You were probably wondering what I was talking about when I said "What 3 pouches?"

Heres a vid of how she walks could this be a birth defect ? Or does this definitely look like mbd
    https://youtu.be/5ZLJcIvu4tE

Heres a vid of how she walks could this be a birth defect ? Or does this definitely look like mbd
    https://youtu.be/5ZLJcIvu4tE

Well there definitely are "problems" with her back legs a little.

BUT I see something in her face that almost makes me wonder
    if she could be a "dwarf" squirrel.

You mentioned her being cold at 8 weeks when the heating pad shut off, which I thought was
    curious, as they typically can thermoregulate at that age.

Another typical trait of a dwarf squirrel is that they are extremely picky when it comes to food.

2 days ago his heat pad somehow got unplugged & same with the heater we have in the room, he was super cold to the touch & again could hardly move
    Dwarf squirrels need constant (low) heat because they can't thermoregulate their body temperature.

Let me get some more eyes on this from members that HAVE dwarf squirrels.

Dwarf squirrel hey hmmmmmmm. Like an actual dwarf squirrel or like a "little person" dwarf squirrel... lol not sure how to say it without offending anyone.
    I see tons of this kind but what I googled dwarf squirrel I didnt see anything familiar. So I think you were right with Fox. Her mom was pretty big !

Thanks for the heads up Nancy. Ya know, I've surfed this thread and always landed on pee or poop I vote dwarf--perfect, bumbly, precious DWARF! Check out Mel's Joey and my Punkin and Tula. There's also Kensington, Peanut and Peepers (tho they go back aways) There's a section in "special needs squirrels" There's a lot to learn about these little gifts and TSB likely has more info than anywhere on the web. In fact, when I was blessed with my first sweetheart, Kensington, the only reference I found re achondroplastic dwarf squirrels was here at TSB (thanks to Maura and Nancy). They actually make up about 10% of the squirrel population but seldom make it to rescue and often the finder has no idea they are different as tiny babies and they need special care to thrive. They're not your average teeny with average teeny needs. Any one of us who have or have had dwarf babies will be soooooooo glad to talk to you live and in person. I'll PM my phone number to you. Your little one is unique and comes with her own range of abilities and disabilities. Be VERY careful about her climbing and wanting to be up high (like any squirrel). She doesn't grip well (look at her hands and watch how she holds things). She can fall and they don't fall normally--they fall like squishy rocks. Watch out for aspiration. Their tongues are kind of large and swallowing is sometimes hard for them. I'm real lucky that my girls will drink from a waterbottle. Some won't. My girls have found something that they will consistently eat. It is NOT on the healthy squirrel diet list but at least they eat. Some are suicide-aly picky. She will age fast. She may develope patchy fur or bald spots. She will make you lose your religion, turn prematurely gray, and break your heart but she is a miracle and you are blessed.

15. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

cava (10-22-2016), JayB (10-20-2016), Nancy in New York (10-20-2016)

If she is indeed a fox that means she's a native species to BC which means I can take her to a vet without them calling a conservation officer to be euthanized ?

OMG! This definitely walks like a dwarf squirrel, and because it's a fox squirrel it would be a larger dwarf than a grey. My Joey walks the same way. Their joints are not formed correctly so they sorta waddle when they walk. They don't have superb climbing abilities or balance, but my guy can climb up a limb in his cage to get to different levels, but everything is super padded in case he falls. Dwarf squirrels have a multitude of issues, but are the sweetest little creatures around. If you look in The Nursery section on The Squirrel Board you can read about Punkin, Tula and Joey. All are dwarf grey squirrels. I never even knew dwarf squirrels existed until I was raising Joey and he didn't seem to be growing the way he should. Send me a private message and I'd be happy to give you my phone number and we can talk.

18. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

cava (10-22-2016), JayB (10-20-2016), Nancy in New York (10-20-2016)

I think Jesse is a "dwarf" squirrel. That walk, foot motion and position, the ears and baby looking face. A special squirrel who will give you lots of love but also will need some extra special care. Chickenlegs, who posted above, is one of our resident dwarf squirrel experts and will be a great resource for you!. Mel too!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

JayB (10-20-2016), Nancy in New York (10-20-2016)

If she is indeed a fox that means she's a native species to BC which means I can take her to a vet without them calling a conservation officer to be euthanized ?
    I would still be concerned about them euthanizing her because she is not releasable. If you aren't sure you have the time or energy to care for her, please let us know and we may be able to find someone who will take her.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

JayB (10-20-2016)

Yah she cant grip onto things that you think she should. And she cant balance on her hind legs to even eat so she kinda has to push her block or whatever shes eating into a corner so it doesnt move on her when biting it.
    Hmmmm if it is a birth defect maybe thats why mom abandoned them ? We thought maybe she got eaten or hit by a car, we see at least 2 a month dead on the road near our house.

NO.
    I would never trust a vet with ANY squirrel if you aren't licensed.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

JayB (10-20-2016)

Don't know BC wildlife laws. Might want to check that out first! In Virginia, you are supposed to be licensed to have and raise squirrels. Some vets have a don't ask/don't tell policy but then there are the others --and of course, just because you're a vet doesn't mean you have any experience with wildlife or specifically, squirrels--or even more specifically DWARF squirrels. Maybe someone here at TSB has recommendations.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chickenlegs from:

JayB (10-20-2016)

Thank you Chickenlegs and Mel for weighing in so quickly on the pm I sent you!

Yah she cant grip onto things that you think she should. And she cant balance on her hind legs to even eat so she kinda has to push her block or whatever shes eating into a corner so it doesnt move on her when biting it.
    Hmmmm if it is a birth defect maybe thats why mom abandoned them ? We thought maybe she got eaten or hit by a car, we see at least 2 a month dead on the road near our house.

I'm SO glad you posted this video.
    Your little one has been a mystery to me, until I saw
    her in full body in motion.

I thought it strange that this little one got SO cold after
    the heating pad was unplugged. Now we know why.

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

JayB (10-20-2016)

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast