Thread: Adult Paralyzed Squirrel Still Aggressive! HELP!

llg6789 Guest

Exclamation Adult Paralyzed Squirrel Still Aggressive! HELP!

Hey guys! About a week ago my neighbor found an adult squirrel dragging himself out of the road and only using his two front feet. We believe he fell out of the tree onto the concrete and paralyzed his back end. Since then his back legs twitch but he still has not regained feeling. If he doesn't regain movement then I will have no choice but to keep him. I have absolutely no problem doing that but he is still very aggressive. He doesn't seem to be in pain anymore but he is still very wild. I was wondering if anyone had any tips as to how to train him and how to get him to be less aggressive. Basically wondering what to do. I don't want to release him because I know he will be taken up by a hawk within a minute.
    Thanks so much
    Gail

Default Re: Adult Paralyzed Squirrel Still Aggressive! HELP!

Since he's still being very aggressive is there any chance he's rabid?

You will have to give this squirrel time to get use to you and your scent before he might come around and trust you. If you can gain his trust through talking, feeding and just being near by he may calm down, but it's not guaranteed.

**His aggression is NOT a sign of him being rapid, simply him being a squirrel and fearful of you the human. In fact it's extremely rare for a squirrel to get rabies, let alone survive it if they contact it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frances View Post
    Since he's still being very aggressive is there any chance he's rabid?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by llg6789 View Post
    Hey guys! About a week ago my neighbor found an adult squirrel dragging himself out of the road and only using his two front feet. We believe he fell out of the tree onto the concrete and paralyzed his back end. Since then his back legs twitch but he still has not regained feeling. If he doesn't regain movement then I will have no choice but to keep him. I have absolutely no problem doing that but he is still very aggressive. He doesn't seem to be in pain anymore but he is still very wild. I was wondering if anyone had any tips as to how to train him and how to get him to be less aggressive. Basically wondering what to do. I don't want to release him because I know he will be taken up by a hawk within a minute.
    Thanks so much
    Gail
    Pictures always help. He may have been clipped by a car an lucky to survive...

Typically we would recommend you treat with prednisone, the sooner the better. Do you happen to have access to any prednisone?

What has he been eating and drinking since you found him?

(And if you could share where in Georgia (City or county?) we might be able to locate a member that might be able to lend a hand (meds/knowledge/support)).

llg6789 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
    You will have to give this squirrel time to get use to you and your scent before he might come around and trust you. If you can gain his trust through talking, feeding and just being near by he may calm down, but it's not guaranteed.

**His aggression is NOT a sign of him being rapid, simply him being a squirrel and fearful of you the human. In fact it's extremely rare for a squirrel to get rabies, let alone survive it if they contact it.
    ok that's what i was thinking but i wasn't sure if that was normal. it makes total sense for him to take a while to get used to me i just wanted to make sure there is hope that he won't always try to bite me. it's not like i try to pet or play with him now. i clean his case and give him food and water and talk to him but that's about it. i don't want to push it and possibly hurt him more or even myself. how long does it typically take for an adult squirrel to get used to humans?

llg6789 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Pictures always help. He may have been clipped by a car an lucky to survive...

Typically we would recommend you treat with prednisone, the sooner the better. Do you happen to have access to any prednisone?

What has he been eating and drinking since you found him?

(And if you could share where in Georgia (City or county?) we might be able to locate a member that might be able to lend a hand (meds/knowledge/support)).
    He doesn't have any injuries puncturing his skin or anything. only the paralysis and i think he also fractured his right wrist. when we first found him there was a little blood but that was just from a scrape and it's already completely healed. he's been eating walnuts and ive had to give him water through a syringe since he can't lift himself up to drink from a bowl. he used to be aggressive toward the syringe but now he is very accepting of it.

Is he urinating on his own???

This is very very important to know. Old urine
    left in the bladder will lead to a UTI and death
    if left untreated.

He needs to be in a quiet place with no dogs
    or cats.
    Scurry Central
    living and loving squirrel

llg6789 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lilidukes View Post
    Is he urinating on his own???

This is very very important to know. Old urine
    left in the bladder will lead to a UTI and death
    if left untreated.

He needs to be in a quiet place with no dogs
    or cats.
    I know he is pooping and i'm pretty sure he's urinating but not 100%. he is in a safe place away from my dog.

That level of inability to care for himself would require a lot of care and him eating a very healthy diet that will help him heal. He can't lift his head up to drink from a bowl?

Can you post a photo?

Also, where in Georgia so someone might be able to lend a hand and possibly meds, as was mentioned above.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.