Thread: Question on feeding chart

Default Question on feeding chart

I have a 10 week old fox squirrel that is still nursing and eating some solid food. I'm using the FV 20/50 formulae. The weight of the squirrel is 9.8 oz or 277 grams. If I'm reading that dosage chart correctly (5%)it looks like I'm suppose to feed her 14 ml or cc's per feeding. Is this correct ? The syringe I'm using is calibrated from 0.10ml to 1.0ml. So am I to fill the syringe 14 times for one feeding ?

Thanks

Default Re: Question on feeding chart

Quote Originally Posted by Randy14 View Post
    I have a 10 week old fox squirrel that is still nursing and eating some solid food. I'm using the FV 20/50 formulae. The weight of the squirrel is 9.8 oz or 277 grams. If I'm reading that dosage chart correctly (5%)it looks like I'm suppose to feed her 14 ml or cc's per feeding. Is this correct ? The syringe I'm using is calibrated from 0.10ml to 1.0ml. So am I to fill the syringe 14 times for one feeding ?

Thanks
    Here's a 1 cc/mL syringe.
    In order to feed a squirrel 14 mLs you will need to fill this syringe 14 times per feeding.
    Have you been doing that?
    You could also get some 3 mL syringes and use those, filling them
    5 times and the squirrel would be taking 15 mLs then,
    OR fill them 4 times with an additional 2 mLs. if you want to keep him at 14 mLs. per feeding.
    If he is still hungry, I would offer more formula though.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

cava (09-26-2016), DarkLies212 (09-26-2016)

At 277 grams your baby can eat between 14-19 cc of formula,
    therefore, I would do as Nancy suggested as use a 3cc syringe
    to feed your squirrel with........ Good Luck.

I've been feeding Charlie 3 - 4 ml's per feeding, three times per day Since she is also eating some solid food, or starting to ween her off the formulae, I think its enough. But always good to get opinions from folks with more experience.

Many thanks, as always........

You could also leave formula in a bowl for her to eat in between feedings. Now is the time to fatten them up, they are growing fast and need good nutrition.

You can buy 3 ml syringes at your local pharmacy. Say it's for feeding kittens.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy14 View Post
    I've been feeding Charlie 3 - 4 ml's per feeding, three times per day Since she is also eating some solid food, or starting to ween her off the formulae, I think its enough. But always good to get opinions from folks with more experience.

Many thanks, as always........
    We don't forcibly wean our squirrels off their formula, the longer they will drink it the healthier they are..... let them determine when they are ready to stop.

You can start her on a squirrel block called HHB, then in a few weeks add in approved fresh vegetables with limited fruits and nuts.

http://www.henryspets.com/hi-protein-blocks/

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rhapsody:

cava (09-27-2016), DarkLies212 (09-26-2016), Nancy in New York (09-27-2016)