Thread: (NC Seeking Help) Squirrel with a broken leg

HappyDaleRabbits Guest

Default (NC Seeking Help) Squirrel with a broken leg

Hi! As you can probably tell from my username I'm not one who normally deals with squirrels much less a squirrel with a broken leg. I can't tell where exactly it's broke because it's a wild squirrel. He's still moving and biting apparently. He bit my father-in-laws hand when he tried to bring him in, he also managed to run under another car. So he's moving, I'm not sure about eating seeing he just got here, he does have a bowl of water and apple in the trash can with him *He's in a huge black trash can that was used for fermenting hay if I'm not wrong. So it has holes drilled all over and a lid laying on top barely covering it. We were planning to move him into a rabbit hutch until he got better but I don't know if that's a good idea or not.

Default Re: Squirrel with a broken leg

If the can is plastic, he can defiantly chew through it!! I think a rabbit hutch would be a much better alternative. Perhaps you could place the entrance of it over the top of the trash can, that way his only route of escape would be into the hutch. Not sure if the logistics of that would work or not, but it might be worth a try. Thank you for caring enough about this injured one to help him. Do you have a squirrel friendly vet you could take him to?
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

HappyDaleRabbits Guest

I can't afford a vet sadly. I have a rabbit cage outside that half 1/2" hardware cloth on all four sides (Thankfully I haven't replaced the wire yet) I doubt I could set the cage on the can but she don't seem to be in any hurry to get out. Last I saw she was clinging onto the side of the trashcan. I posted on my rabbit forum as well and was told if it was a mature male I'd know so I can only assume since there is no testicles it must be a girl. I was thinking about getting some thick gloves and picking her up if we do move her into the cage.

But what do I do with her leg? What do I need to feed her? Do the same herbal remedies for rabbits work for them? Because I had a 8lb (Not fully grown) rabbit squeeze through the hole in his cage after his feeder fell out. It caused his right testicle to pop back up in him as well as he pulled a muscle or pinched a nerve. Not sure but he wasn't moving his hind end much. I gave him Willow branch and leaf (pain reliever as well as an anti-inflammatory if I'm not wrong) and I gave him Dandelion which if I'm right helps with healing. It took about 2 months for him to heal and he is completely fine now.

Also are there any vitamins I need to give her? I saw in another person's post from much earlier that they needed vitamins and some oil on a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread? Like I've said I mostly deal with rabbits and have never been this close to a squirrel even.. Any advice on my situation would be appreciated because I have no idea what to do.

There might be some rehabbers nearby that can help you or take this squirrel in. Thank you for caring! Do you have any infant ibuprofen by chance?

I don't know about the bread or peanut butter suggestion or the herbal meds. Hopefully someone who does know comes on soon. In the mean time, do you have any fruits or lettuces you could provide?

If you'd like to see if we can find one of our members in your area that may be able to assist, please provide your general area (city or county).

The 1/2" hardware cloth is good, the normal "chicken wire" I have seen used in most rabbit hutches is definitely not good... he/she will try to chew their way out and make a bloody (literally) mess of their mouth and snout.

As for diet, generally tree squirrels are veggie eaters versus grass eaters. As a wild he will be more apt to eat the things that are around... like the dandelions, dogwood berries, hickory nuts and you can always experiment with "household" veggies. Radicchio, avocado (only the meat, no skin or pits should be given) and apples are always a favorite.

HappyDaleRabbits Guest

I live in Burnsville, NC and I've just got one that's just 1/2" hardware cloth. The rest of them are all made with 1/2"x1" galvanized steel that's made specifically for rabbit cages. As it turns out James (He is my step-father in law and also the one who found the Squirrel) he has apparently owned a squirrel before. We don't have any baby ibuprofen. We're guessing it's a she since it looks full grown in my opinion and has no testicles *When you have rabbits you know what furry little nuts look like lol* She's moved, I made DH go get hay for her and we made her a nice soft bed, she moved into the middle of the can into the hay and appears to be asleep. She looks like she is very disappointed from the way she is laying, curled up in a ball with her head down... She has an apple with her and I think they are going to offer her some scratch (We have a turkey, 2 geese & Goats, about 50-80 chickens and some ducks) I tried to move her earlier to see if I could put her into the cage and she made a unhappy sound at me which I at first thought was my mother in law pranking me. She was not pranking me.

I am not having luck finding anyone any closer than about 3 hours (I would be remiss not to mention that is approx how far away I am). Would you mind if I added "N.C." to your thread title? That might catch someone's attention that may be nearby.

HappyDaleRabbits Guest

If you can add I'm from NC please do whatever will hopefully help. She seems to be doing very good seeing there is no bone sticking out and she is moving around.

OK, will do. Can you post some pictures so we can see how that leg looks? Maybe someone will have advice....

You can e-mail to squirrelhelp @ uysinc.com (without spaces) if you have problems posting them and I will post them here.

Default Re: (NC Seeking Help) Squirrel with a broken leg

Sissy is in North Carolina and knows a wide network of rehabbers.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chickenlegs:

cava (09-27-2016), DarkLies212 (09-27-2016)

HappyDaleRabbits Guest

Default Re: (NC Seeking Help) Squirrel with a broken leg

I had such a busy day yesterday I didn't get around to telling everyone that she had passed over the night. I kinda figured she would because she stayed tense with fear the entire day, never ate, kept knocking over her water so we moved it away from her, IMHO her leg looked shattered. Whatever was broke I doubt could've healed. She was in a lot of stress and being handled by humans at all was no help. I'm just glad she had a nice warm bed to pass away in. Thank you guys for all your help! I probably won't be getting back on after this seeing I don't own Squirrels. But I really did appreciate all of your help and if I ever run into a squirrel again this is definitely where I'll be Thank you again for all your help!

Members who have read this thread: 1