Thread: Squirrel mom for the 2nd Time

Default Squirrel mom for the 2nd Time

so i was last on here back in aug of 2012 when i had 3 grey squirrels(triplets) brought to mo i raised them thru winter and released them folllowing spring....

well last night arounf 7pm my neighbor came over and said a baby had fallen out of the tree and the cats were trying to get it...his wife was guarding the baby till i got over there( they knew i raised 3 before)
    i guessing this one is around 3-4 weeks the eyes are not open yet and ears are just starting to open.weighs 68 grams

the baby seems fine got some pedialyte in him/her not quite sure if boy or girl have to look when i get home......
    its a little on the thin side i was wondering if maybe got pushed out of nest...but ill take care of it either way....

the last time around i used Liquid Esbilac with yobaby yogurt mixed in and it did great for the triplets
    was wondering if i could still use that mixture( new cans of course) i can get the esbilac at the pet store around the corner...i didnt want little one to go for to long with out food

Name:  IMG_0136.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  97.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0131.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  140.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0128.JPG
Views: 40
Size:  132.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0127.JPG
Views: 42
Size:  129.8 KB

Default Re: Squirrel mom for the 2nd Time

You do not want to use Liquid Esbilac you need the power.
    Here is a picture of what you will need.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

ok i will look for the powdered stuff but just to ask
    whats the difference between the liquid and the powder?

What a sweet little squirrel!

Here's some information about formula you might find useful:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...(Esbilac-etc-)

As far as I know, liquid Esbilac (which comes in a can) should never be used for squirrels as it can cause diarrhea (which can be fatal).

ok will def. look into the powdered stuff...
    i used only liquid esbilac back in aug 2012 with the triplets i just mixed in a little water and yobaby yogurt and never had a problem with diarrhea in any of them.
    i can get the liquid from pet store today ,the powder i have to wait a few days bc they are sold out of it and shipment comes in a couple of days
    so what should i do untill then should i give the liquid like i did back in 2012 or hold off altogether and wait for powder

Quote Originally Posted by Xxamyjwilliamsxx View Post
    ok will def. look into the powdered stuff...
    i used only liquid esbilac back in aug 2012 with the triplets i just mixed in a little water and yobaby yogurt and never had a problem with diarrhea in any of them.
    i can get the liquid from pet store today ,the powder i have to wait a few days bc they are sold out of it and shipment comes in a couple of days
    so what should i do untill then should i give the liquid like i did back in 2012 or hold off altogether and wait for powder
    I'm not sure what you should do while you're waiting for the correct Esbilac. Hopefully, someone who knows more will chime in and advise you.

You might want to consider using one of these temporary formula recipes:

From this thread: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...BABY-SQUIRRELS

"Should you need to make another temporary formula (you can find goat milk but no Esbilac), a former member of TSB developed this temporary replacement formula recipe:

Jackie's Goat Milk Recipe:
    1 cup goat's milk
    1/3 cup heavy cream
    1/3 cup dannon all natural vanilla yogurt

Mix well and keep in a covered plastic or glass container in the refrigerator. Replace after 48 hours."

From this guide: http://www.henryspets.com/3-formula-feeding/

Homemade Goat Milk Formula (GMF)*: 3 parts goat milk, 1 part plain yogurt, 1 part heavy cream. Leave out the cream for the first few feedings and then add it in gradually. If diarrhea occurs, reduce or eliminate the cream for a few feedings.

*Do not use homemade GMF for more than 2 weeks, as it is not fortified with vitamins, minerals and protein.

Hope that helps!

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ekorre from:

Xxamyjwilliamsxx (09-18-2016)

Default **UPDATE** new pics

****UPDATE**** New Pics
    well here is Murphy looking like a grown squirrel( roughly 12-13weeks old).... she is doing great eating veggies and block and snacks
    and she loves running around on me lol she loves her mama.... just thought i would upload some new pics seeing as its been a while since i have been on here busy with murphy and working
    Last edited by Xxamyjwilliamsxx; 11-15-2016 at 02:29 AM. Reason: picture size

im not sure why my photos came out sideways when i added them they were the right way and then when i posted the turned sideways lol
    I FIGURED it out they looked like they were the right way but they werenot once i clicked on them
    Last edited by Xxamyjwilliamsxx; 11-15-2016 at 02:48 AM. Reason: figured out pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Xxamyjwilliamsxx View Post
    whats the difference between the liquid and the powder?

Self explanatory, liquid esbilac does not contain the proper nutrients a squirrel requires.

Esbilac - Liquid X
    Ingredients:
    Water, condensed skimmed milk, soybean oil, sodium caseinate, cream, calcium caseinate, egg yolks, DL-methionine, L-arginine, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, lecithin, magnesium sulfate, potassium chloride, monopotassium phosphate, salt, tricalcium phosphate, carrageenan, dipotassium phosphate, dicalcium phosphate, ascorbic acid, ferrous sulfate, potassium hydroxide, zinc sulfate, vitamin A supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin supplement, calcium pantothenate, copper sulfate, maltodextrins, thiamine hydrochloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, manganese sulfate, vitamin D3 supplement, potassium citrate, potassium iodide, folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, biotin.

Esbilac - Powered +
    Ingredients:
    Vegetable Oil, Casein, Whey Protein Concentrate, Dried Skimmed Milk, Butter Fat, Monocalcium Phosphate, Egg Yolk, Calcium Carbonate, L-Arginine, DL-Methionine, Sodium Silico Aluminate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Monopotassium Phosphate, Magnesium Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate, Salt, Dipotassium Phosphate, Calcium Pantothenate, Ascorbic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Folic Acid, Vitamin E Supplement, Silicon Dioxide, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Citrate, Potassium Iodide, Biotin.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator