Thread: 6 week old flyer may have aspirated

dfcest2006 Guest

Default 6 week old flyer may have aspirated

I have an approx 5-6 week old flyer. We have had him for 2 weeks now following his destroyed nest due to hurricane hermine. He has been doing very well and eating great and never too fast. I have been using a 1ml or 3ml syringe with a nimble at the end of it. This morning however, the syringe lunged forward too fast, as it was stuck (it was jot in his mouth at the time) squirting milk in Dude's face. He sneezed for a few seconds and seemed to be fine after that. I have read everywhere to listen for clicking but haven't heard that yet, thank the Lord!
    My question is, should I try getting a hold of some antibiotics if I do start to hear clicking? Should I take him to the vet even though he is acting normal? Should I give him preventive antibiotics (don't want to cause it messes with good bacteria). We love Dude the and want to take the best care of him that we can <3
    Look forward to hearing advice

Default Re: 6 week old flyer may have aspirated

If you just blasted the babies face/mouth and nose with formula, you should be OK. It has to go into the lungs to cause aspiration pneumonia. I would not treat him with antibiotics as a preventative measure. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try to find antibiotics (Ciprofloxacin/Baytril/SMZ-TMP) to have on hand just in case. Of course, if you have vet access you can get AB's if and when you need them.

I would not use a 3cc syringe for a flyer. You need O-ring syringes because they are MUCH smoother and don't seize up like the larger black rubber plunger syringes do.
    Do you have a weight on your baby? What formula are you using?

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

ALittleNutty (09-18-2016), Mel1959 (09-18-2016)

dfcest2006 Guest

Thank you so much!
    I've been feeding him goat milk esbilac. I mix 3 parts water to 1 part formula each part 1/4 tsp he's just now up to 2 cc per feeding.
    I was using a syringe like the one picturedthat I got from a neighbor. The ones I ordered have not arrived yet. I plan on using only this type in the future! You are absolutely right about the seizing up. We were out of town over the weekend and the 3 cc was my backup in case (which ended up happening) the other one wore out. Home now and waiting on the delivery.
    Thank you again for your encouragement and advice
    Attached Images Attached Images  

dfcest2006 Guest

Thank you so much!
    I've been feeding him goat milk esbilac. I mix 3 parts water to 1 part formula each part 1/4 tsp he's just now up to 2 cc per feeding.
    I was using a syringe like the one picturedthat I got from a neighbor. The ones I ordered have not arrived yet. I plan on using only this type in the future! You are absolutely right about the seizing up. We were out of town over the weekend and the 3 cc was my backup in case (which ended up happening) the other one wore out. Home now and waiting on the delivery.
    Thank you again for your encouragement and advice

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.