Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thriving 7 (?) week old, deteriorated RAPIDLY and passed....

Default Re: Thriving 7 (?) week old, deteriorated RAPIDLY and passed....

Be very careful with the cages that have collapsible panels. If they move just right (or in this case, wrong), they can pinch and break little paws and fingers.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DarkLies212 from:

TypeAMommy (09-12-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by TypeAMommy View Post
    Hi Sara,

t. My friend who owns a pet store, who has a zoology degree, and says she's rehabbed dozens of squirrels, thought he was more like 8-9 weeks from these milestones, but he is terribly small for that age IMO.....aaaaanddd since talking with her initially, I have realized that some of her advice is not exactly.....textbook.
    One person=ONE person's experience

so I think I'm just going to treat you guys ( TSB )as the Church of Squirrel from now on and only listen to you!
    TSB =
    100's of rehabbers with years & years of proven experience....

Name:  SCRAT.JPG
Views: 34
Size:  507.3 KB << click on pic

brightened your photo---careful of PINCH points at corners.... squirrels have--in the past--gotten "hooked"( and injured) on exposed wire connections....

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stosh2010 from:

TypeAMommy (09-12-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by ALittleNutty View Post
    I know it was asked but if it was answered I didn't see it. Exactly which Esbilac are you feeding? It should be the powdered puppy formula with pre and pro-biotics.

at them climbing out of the cage and into the pouch.

I would put age right around 6 weeks.
    Hi! Yes, I am feeding POWDERED Esbilac Puppy: 1 part powder, 2 parts formula.... that first night, the only pet store that was open only had the canned liquid, so they did get those two cans as well...

I have ferret-proofed, cat-proofed, dog-proofed, and baby-proofed...didn't think I would ever be squirrel-proofing! But yes, the escape artist bag lover thing was interesting....

Scrat took 12 ml of Esbilac just now btw.

On another note, any ideas why some of my pictures are uploading upside down??

Quote Originally Posted by stosh2010 View Post
    One person=ONE person's experience

TSB =
    100's of rehabbers with years & years of proven experience....

Name:  SCRAT.JPG
Views: 34
Size:  507.3 KB << click on pic

brightened your photo---careful of PINCH points at corners.... squirrels have--in the past--gotten "hooked"( and injured) on exposed wire connections....
    Thanks! Should I be putting something in those corners to avoid the pinch points??

Thanks! Should I be putting something in those corners to avoid the pinch points??
    I build my own cages --over the years-- as needed...
    So I have never had a factory made wire cage...
    Perhaps tying long strips of material in and out of the corners... until the connectors are hidden???

Others... with wire cage experience will also advise---soon.

He does look like a small 6-7 weeks. I have one now with an injury just about the same age (almost 7 weeks) that is only 115 grams; came in at 90 grams 6 days ago. The others here his age are over 200 grams now.

Extra fat (like avocado: No skins or pits! Only provide the meat), adding Fox Valley Ultraboost to the formula or even using a half Esbilac and half Fox Valley 20/50 are all things that will help him make up for lost time. And of course the hydration in between feedings for a couple days I would think...

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    He does look like a small 6-7 weeks. I have one now with an injury just about the same age (almost 7 weeks) that is only 115 grams; came in at 90 grams 6 days ago. The others here his age are over 200 grams now.

Extra fat (like avocado: No skins or pits! Only provide the meat), adding Fox Valley Ultraboost to the formula or even using a half Esbilac and half Fox Valley 20/50 are all things that will help him make up for lost time. And of course the hydration in between feedings for a couple days I would think...
    Thanks! I actually bought avocado based on some internet sites, but that pet store friend I mentioned about had a heart attack when I mentioned it so I didn't give it to them, but will now! Also, I thought one of this site's stickies said NOT to use Fox Valley anymore?? Finally, Spanky, can you post pictures of your similar age babies??

Thanks! I actually bought avocado based on some internet sites, but that pet store friend I mentioned about had a heart attack when I mentioned it so I didn't give it to them, but will now! Also, I thought one of this site's stickies said NOT to use Fox Valley anymore?? Finally, Spanky, can you post pictures of your similar age babies??
    You can use FV 20/50 ONLY. Not the 32/40. Confusing, we know

Hi! Yes, I am feeding POWDERED Esbilac Puppy: 1 part powder, 2 parts formula.... that first night, the only pet store that was open only had the canned liquid, so they did get those two cans as well...

I have ferret-proofed, cat-proofed, dog-proofed, and baby-proofed...didn't think I would ever be squirrel-proofing! But yes, the escape artist bag lover thing was interesting....

It sounds like these kids weren't properly hydrated in those crucial moments after first being rescued. A couple of questions-

Do you know if the woman who found them put them on a heating pad prior to hydrating? Was there a heating pad under their cage and were they able to get off of it when needed?

After the canned formula, did you see any signs of diarrhea in Ulysses or in the cage?

Is the powdered Esbilac the one with Pre- and Pro-biotics?

Last fall, I had a boy come in at 4-5 weeks old, had him until he was about 11 weeks old. Not sure if he fell out of a tree or was rejected by mama- he was found laying on a sidewalk next to a busy intersection; no injuries. He seemed fine and healthy except he always looked a little funny- not quite Down's but his head-to-body ratio wasn't normal and he didn't develop as fast as my girl, who was a week or so older than him, from another litter. At 11 weeks, out of nowhere, he went from eating/playing/acting/looking fine to dead in 2 hours. It was seizures and the vet thought they were a result of meningitis. I'm not saying yours had the same problems as mine but rather that there are, unfortunately, certain conditions/problems that come up acutely, whether they're a result of hydration, nutrition, or some pre-existing condition that doesn't manifest until triggered by... something....

I hate to ask, as I know this is experience has been difficult - I'm so sorry - but do you recall hearing any signs of distress overnight? (I ask because their seizures aren't usually quiet). Did you see any signs of head tilt when you put them to bed that night? Any teeth grinding or problems with balance?

Other than a disease process, I am with the other members here, questioning organ function due to dehydration.

Quote Originally Posted by stosh2010 View Post
    I build my own cages --over the years-- as needed...
    So I have never had a factory made wire cage...
    Perhaps tying long strips of material in and out of the corners... until the connectors are hidden???

Others... with wire cage experience will also advise---soon.

I have this exact same cage and used it at first. I read the thread about the pinch points and cut long strips of 1 1/2 wide fleece and wrapped every corner from top to bottom tying more length on the strips as i went. It worked very well.

Finally, Spanky, can you post pictures of your similar age babies??
    Sorry, I have been pretty busy lately.
    Here is a group of 5.. 2 are 8 weeks and around 270grams, 3 are 7 weeks old and around 230 grams:

Rocky is a healthy, bushy tailed 6 week old beauty weighing in at 175 grams:

And this is Eye Guy who has an injury to his eye.. he is the one I mentioned that is underweight at 125 grams:

Attached Images Attached Images    

14. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

cava (09-14-2016), DarkLies212 (09-14-2016), Nancy in New York (09-19-2016), PennyCash (09-14-2016)

Maybe I missed it, but you meant one part powder and two parts water right? I know ppl have already said it, but pedialyte can only be used for 24 hours. After that, the salt does more harm than good. Avocado is fine. No seed and no skin. That part is poisonous.
    Spiky hair means dehydration or usually malnutrition.

How is he??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12