Thread: *Serious* Possible Head Trauma Adult Female Eastern Grey Squirrel

Default *Serious* Possible Head Trauma Adult Female Eastern Grey Squirrel

Hi Everyone,

A little background info for context:
    My husband and I do animal rescue pretty often but we seem to always discover the animals that are too injured or sick. When we've brought them to the rescue we work with, they have all needed to be euthanized.

The reason for this post:
    There are many squirrels in the park near our house that we see on a daily basis and feed. There is one squirrel (adult female Eastern Grey) we've known for approximately a year now - named her Tipsy. She has always had a head tilt to the left but never had trouble walking, running, climbing, eating, etc. However, recently (within the last week) she's been unable to sit properly as she slowly starts to fall either sideways (to the left) or backwards. She's now also kind of run-hopping slightly sideways. I am pretty sure it's head trauma but she's been living with it fine for almost a year and had only shown a slight head tilt this whole time. I'm thinking she's either injured herself again, or something is possibly causing swelling in her brain and it's subsequently causing her balance to diminish. Today she was slightly better though, she was able to sit without falling over, albeit leaning over to keep upright. She's the only squirrel we've encountered with a head tilt that has symptoms that periodically get worse, then improve, then get worse again.

What I'd like help with:
    If at all possible, I'd like to try and treat possible inflammation before we attempt to trap her because I'm almost certain she'll be euthanized (just based on my prior experience). I read that infant Ibuprofen is safe and commonly used for inflammation in squirrels. Does anyone here agree or disagree with that? Additionally, if it IS safe, could I get some assistance with dosing? The average weight of a female Eastern Grey is in and around 500 grams so that's what I would be using for her weight. As a side note, I've also read that Tumeric, which has anti-inflammatory properties, is also safe for squirrels to ingest in small amounts.

I've attached a few pictures of her sitting/leaning sideways.

Thank you in advance for reading and any assistance you could provide.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Default Re: *Serious* Possible Head Trauma Adult Female Eastern Grey Squirrel

Hang in there till tomorrow when members of the longtime experienced rehab crew on the East coast will again be available to give you specific advice in support for this squirrel.

I can say that there have been similar cases addressed here, some even worse, where squirrels given anti inflammatory sources have recovered fully, others partially, then in captive care to support their still very much vital lives.

In the meantime, here is something you can order online this evening that has been found in rat research to ameliorate TBI in rats. Best given asap after the injury has taken place; yet still supportive following the initial time of head trauma as well.

Methylcobalamin Adenocobalamin Vitamin B 12 from Vimergy on amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/Vimergy-USDA-.../dp/B07HS2T8FS

Though not the level of a narcotic, This bio-identical source of Vitamin B 12, is also a natural pain reducer. Great source to have on hand, you won't be using it up in any case for one squirrel.

Add just one single needle droplet (100th of 1 ml.) (0.01) ml.) = to 25 mcg. from this specific B12 source, onto a food daily. In the case the squirrel refuses to eat, to lend some nutritional support to the squirrel; place 1 needle droplet instead into liquid source like thinned our creamy plain Stonyfield low fat organic yogurt, or "Green Valley" organic vanilla yogurt. Pull up the mixture up into a non-needle feeding syringe aiming at a 45 degree angle just into the edge of the lip behind the incisors to place drop by drop allowing the squirrel to swallow each one before giving another.

I recall a case, where a fox squirrel had a severe head injury, that resulted in a significant head tilt, turning one way as she moved. She was given meds, along with other supportive sources, and physical therapy. And though it took some time, the squirrel fully recovered which then she was released back to the wild. I will see if I can find that thread so you can read through it as to what the rehabber did in support of this squirrel's recovery, and if so post a link to it here. This was just one case of many cases where head trauma injuries having occurred that were given care that recovered. Please don't assume that euthanasia then is the only likely viable option.

Thank you for wanting to go the distance for this squirrel in need!

Since this female squirrel may already caring babies; this presents an increased risk of her losing them if captured.

With her present balance issues she is also handicapped when it comes to obtaining sufficient amounts of the natural sources of anti inflammatory foods; along with the form of Vitamin B12 noted prior; I recommend using these three natural sourced, yet proven powerful 'Nutraceuticals' (sources with pharmaceutical like properties), which when combined, lend significant support both the reduction of inflammation and so the pain it promotes in mammals, as well as boost a beleaguered immune system as found in research.

In the wild, tree squirrels, especially breeding mother squirrels, and juveniles have been observed stripping tree bard from their food trees to access the inner living layer of the bark that contains various minerals including calcium, manganese, magnesium, potassium. In late winter when the days begin to warm up, all the species of N.A. tree squirrels engage in scoring the same food trees to access the sap, that they lick up with relish!

In research done in over 150 studies over 60 years, "Pycnogenol. (PYC), an extract of the, 'Maritime (Pinaster) pine' grown under organic conditions, was found to contain high levels of, "polyphenols" which include but aren't limited to the following properties: (anti inflammatory, anti-parasitcal, antibacterial, anti-viral, anti fungal, and analgesic). For these reasons it is at least equal to the pain reducing power of the NSAIDS; save without the negative side effects associated with the synthetic pain relievers.

PYC also has been found to protect the liver and lungs from damage from exposure to toxic Aspergillus fungus. (MTS) a similar source, yet bitter unfortunately, has been recently approved by the FDA for treatment of the same.

https://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Origi.../dp/B00CLYNAUA

(PYC) recently confirmed to be an, "immunomodulator" lowering an overly turn up immune system and elevating a lowered one. Yet when probiotics are added, it became even more supportive of boosting the immune system, key to fighting infections.

For a soil based probiotic source appropriate for juvenile and adult squirrels, recommend, "Pet Flora" by "Vitality Science. This for reason squirrels are soil consumer (geophagy) by which they obtain much of the good bacteria that is vital to support the digestion of their foods, and so the availability of the nutrients that they contain.
    https://vitalityscience.com/product/cat-probiotics/

This last source is a well tested powerful reducer of inflammation, and analgesic, as it addresses the cause of the pain; while boosting the immune system. More veterinarians and equestrians are turning to food grade chia oil instead of using the former go to source, 'flax seed oil'. This is because the flax seed is highly, "goitrogenic", which in rats concentrated sources as the oil is promote the development of thyroid goiter cancer, and in other animals goiters as well including horses.

As a last effort by a fellow member, who explained that they had tried various means to take the pressure off the feet of their horse, that suffered each winter from a painful condition known as, "founder" which at that time had worsened to where their vet recommended euthanasia; I shared what equestrians and vets have noted on the use of food grade chia oil for reducing the inflammation. So with instructions on the amount to give, they gave it to their horse. Within just a few days their horse's pain was significantly reduced. Each winter since where they gave their horse the food grade Chia oil, there has been no reoccurrence of this highly inflammatory painful condition.

The chia oil lends both a nutty taste and aroma to any food it is added to, and works as a base for giving the powders all in one. Add just enough for the dose to support a fluid, yet not runny, nor pasty consistency. Then add the mixture onto a half of an organic (pecan, walnut) kernel, aimed at dosing them twice daily if possible.

https://www.amazon.com/Foods-Alive-A...yABEgIEyvD_BwE

(Never use carrier oil sources for this purpose, they are not suitable for consumption; this even so a vender may then claim otherwise.)

You're probably aware that, 'Raccoon Roundworm' causes impairment of the neurological system,
    which in rodents leads to death. Just in case the impairment isn't from head trauma,
    treating with topical, 'Selamectin / Revolution regular' is advisable.

Wearing a pair of disposable vinyl gloves; place one drop between the shoulder blades, and rub into the fur if possible.

You may need to get this product through a veterinarian. Here is one online website that offers this source:

https://entirelypetspharmacy.com/rev...es-single.html

Again, get the regular version, NOT the, "Plus" version .