Thread: Random diarrhea 5 week old squirrels

Exclamation Random diarrhea 5 week old squirrels

Hello! I've been raising two fox squirrels for a few weeks now. They've been doing great, gaining weight, getting fluffy, opened their eyes a few days ago, and have their teeth. I have them on fox valley formula. They've both had normal bowel movements and they pee every time they've been stimulated. I have a few questions: the little boy (Ned) has had diarrhea for three days now, and now the little girl (pumpkin) has very wet poo. I haven't changed their formula and I give them both 3mL every four hours. Next, I bought Kaytee rodent blocks a few days ago and put them in their box. That's when I noticed the wet poo so I took them out. The diarreah hasn't stopped however. I put a few green oak twigs in their box and a few deer horn pieces for them to chew on but they won't touch them. I'm worried about their bellies, and their teeth growing without them chewing on anything to cut them down. Any information would help!

Default Re: Random diarrhea 5 week old squirrels

Which Fox Valley formula are you feeding? 32/40 or 20/50?

Remember, Mama Squirrel doesn't let the babies do more than peek out the nest hole until they are pushing 10 weeks old, and she doesn't bring hard food to them - so in the wild they are on milk only until they first climb to the ground. We usually recommend placing blocks in the cage at 6-7 weeks but it can take a while before they do much more than hide and pee on them...

They are on the 32/40 and have been since three days after I got them. I saw where some rehabbers keep them on 32/40 until weaning, and I didn't know if it was super important to switch them or not. Should I change that, and should I just keep the rodent blocks in the freezer for a while longer?

Also, should I be adding probiotics to the fox valley formula? I just want to do everything I can for these babies. I've raised other wildlife, but squirrels seem far more fragile.

Usually 32/40 has the opposite affect so I am stumped as to why they have the runs. Most of us are currently using Esbilac with pre and pro-biotics added and at this age many use a 50/50 mix of Esbilac and FV 20/50. Are you washing syringes and nipples in hot soapy water? Are you mixing the formula and letting it rest in the refrigerator for 4 hours before starting to use it? Any change in color or smell of their poop? Just trying to brainstorm what could be causing it.
    Squammy to: Jordyn & Parkyr -Southern Flyers

2016 Babies - Sweet Pea & Chance

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,
    Screech, Fiona, Porgy & Bess

RIP: Itty Bitty, Rascal, Whisper

Passion4Trashin on eBay ~ Click the link below to find great deals!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    or here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Passi...6044929?ref=hl
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    passionfortrashin@gmail.com
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

I wash the nipples and syringes after every feed, and I make enough formula for a day and keep it refrigerated. I warm it up in a hot water bath. And the boys diarrhea does stink. They both went from firm, golden poo, to this watery diarrhea and squishy poo.

Can you share with us how much they weigh?

An how much formula they are getting as well as how often they are getting formula?

I do not know how much they weigh, but they get 3mL every 4 hours

Oh my... if they are 5 weeks old you are likely underfeeding them. Knowing weights is critical to know they are getting the proper amount of formula... like the three bears: Not too much, not too little... but just right. The 3ml would be appropriate for a baby weighing somewhere between 42grams and 50grams, but five week old babies are likely 75grams to 100grams?!? A kitchen scale at WalMart for $15 (+/-) and this is crucial for caring for these little ones.

Diarrhea can be caused by overfeeding, so this is a dilemma. And 5 weeks is usually about the time we transition them from FV 32/40 to FV 20/50.

How are you mixing the FV 32/40?

Well I was worried about underfeeding, but after three mL their bellies are full and plump. I don't want to over feed them and give them bloat. They look healthy and have acted perfectly fine until now. They've continuously grown at a steady rate from how tiny they were when we got them. I know that 3 mL sounds like a small amount, and I have been giving them a little more every feeding so they can steadily eat a larger amount. I'm trying to post a picture of them, but I can't get it to go through.

I mix one part formula to two parts water

If you send the pictures to squirrelhelp@uysinc.com I will post them in the thread for you.

A scale is critical since feeding amount is best determined by their weight.

How much do your babies weigh? --you need to be feeding 5-7% of their body weight every fours, possibly five hours depending on the squirrels at thus age.

I am thinking maybe the wood chips you brought in for the babies to chew on may have upset their tummies, try giving them Immodium-D (a few drops every 3 hrs) and see how they feel in a day or two.