Thread: 5ish week old squirrel, diarrhea

Question 5ish week old squirrel, diarrhea

Hi, I have a 5ish week old squirrel I rescued last week. I ran into someone in a pet store and they didn't know what to do. I've done some rehabbing of baby cows, and other small animals so I am doing what I can to help. He's been doing really well, eating great, pooping and peeing on his own. Tonight we started to see some, what I assume to be, bloat. And now some diarrhea. Weve bathed him a couple times and he drinks quite a bit of water while he's having his bath. We had worked him up to full strength milk replacer feeding him 5-6cc's q 4hrs. He weighs 125g. When we saw the bloat we started just giving pedialyte. His poop is a greenish color, it goes between some consistency to super watery. We ran to the store this evening for the baby gas drops and gave him around 1.5 drops (only half of the second drop made it into his mouth). I wanted to check in with the experts to see if there is anything else I can do to help him along. Thank you so very much for what you do!!

Default Re: 5ish week old squirrel, diarrhea

What kind of formula are you using?

to TheSquirrelBoard

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Chelseatuning (09-13-2016), Ekorre (09-04-2016)

Here's a thread you might find useful about diarrhea:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...light=Diarrhea

And one about bloat: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ighlight=bloat

Are you using Esbilac? If so, is it this one? The one in the photo is the correct one to get. Name:  ScreenGrab-Esbilac-cansWeb.jpg
Views: 2706
Size:  179.0 KB
    It should be the powder (not the liquid that comes in a can) and the third ingredient should be "Dried Whey Protein Concentrate".

I'm sure someone who knows more than I do will be along shortly to help. Hope your little one feels better soon!

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Ekorre:

Chelseatuning (09-13-2016), HRT4SQRLS (09-04-2016), Nancy in New York (09-04-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Chelseatuning View Post
    Hi, I have a 5ish week old squirrel I rescued last week. I ran into someone in a pet store and they didn't know what to do. I've done some rehabbing of baby cows, and other small animals so I am doing what I can to help. He's been doing really well, eating great, pooping and peeing on his own. Tonight we started to see some, what I assume to be, bloat. And now some diarrhea. Weve bathed him a couple times and he drinks quite a bit of water while he's having his bath. We had worked him up to full strength milk replacer feeding him 5-6cc's q 4hrs. He weighs 125g. When we saw the bloat we started just giving pedialyte. His poop is a greenish color, it goes between some consistency to super watery. We ran to the store this evening for the baby gas drops and gave him around 1.5 drops (only half of the second drop made it into his mouth). I wanted to check in with the experts to see if there is anything else I can do to help him along. Thank you so very much for what you do!!
    What kind of formula are you feeding?
    Liquid Esbilac could be the cause, we recommend powdered puppy esbilac.
    What sized syringes and are you using a nipple?
    Green poop could be a sign of parasites, does it have an odor?
    Could be overfeeding as well, though it seems you are within the
    "guidelines".
    Not sure what you mean by him "drinking quite a bit of water
    while he's having his bath". Is that the bath water, or are you syringe feeding
    him while bathing?

Start here with this link, it will tell you most of what you need to
    know about baby squirrels.
    http://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

Where in Oregon do you live, we may be able to find you help.

Thanks for helping him, and for finding TSB.

Opps I see that others have posted as well, sorry for the repeat.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Chelseatuning (09-13-2016), Ekorre (09-04-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Ekorre View Post

Here's a thread you might find useful about diarrhea:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...light=Diarrhea

And one about bloat: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ighlight=bloat

Are you using Esbilac? If so, is it this one? The one in the photo is the correct one to get. Name:  ScreenGrab-Esbilac-cansWeb.jpg
Views: 2706
Size:  179.0 KB
    It should be the powder (not the liquid that comes in a can) and the third ingredient should be "Dried Whey Protein Concentrate".

I'm sure someone who knows more than I do will be along shortly to help. Hope your little one feels better soon!

Thank you for your help! I am feeding Essential Pet kitten milk replacer. It was what was recommended to me. I feel like I should go get the esbilac your recommend today.

[QUOTE=Nancy in New York;1177350]What kind of formula are you feeding?
    Liquid Esbilac could be the cause, we recommend powdered puppy esbilac.
    What sized syringes and are you using a nipple?
    Green poop could be a sign of parasites, does it have an odor?
    Could be overfeeding as well, though it seems you are within the
    "guidelines".
    Not sure what you mean by him "drinking quite a bit of water
    while he's having his bath". Is that the bath water, or are you syringe feeding
    him while bathing?

Start here with this link, it will tell you most of what you need to
    know about baby squirrels.
    http://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

Where in Oregon do you live, we may be able to find you help.

Thanks for helping him, and for finding TSB.

Opps I see that others have posted as well, sorry for the repeat.
    [/e

I am using Essntial Pet milk replacer. I am going to get the esbilac today. He poo does stink. Can I give him deformed? What type of parasite could it be?

When I was bathing him he was licking the water out of the faucet.

I'm using a 3cc syringe with an elongated nipple.

Thank you!

Go get the puppy today! Kitten milk replacement is a no no.

sorry, you were typing your response the same time I was.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to cava from:

Chelseatuning (09-13-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by cava View Post
    Go get the puppy today! Kitten milk replacement is a no no.

sorry, you were typing your response the same time I was.
    Thank you! I will go get the puppy milk replacer immediately! Would using kitten milk replacer cause these symptoms?

Yes, they absolutely could. Cats/kittens need MUCH more protein than squirrels or most other animals for that matter, so the formula is designed to have that and it is too high protein for everyone else...

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Yes, they absolutely could. Cats/kittens need MUCH more protein than squirrels or most other animals for that matter, so the formula is designed to have that and it is too high protein for everyone else...
    I can't find esbilac with whey protein as the number one ingredient. I did find one that has goats milk as a number one ingredient and I'm going to use that, is that a good idea?

I can't find esbilac with whey protein as the number one ingredient. I did find one that has goats milk as a number one ingredient and I'm going to use that, is that a good idea?
    Thanks for doing your best to help this little squirrel!

The third ingredient listed should be "Dried Whey Protein Concentrate", not the first. You can buy it here: https://www.squirrelsandmore.com/col...nt=18368992775

I'm pretty sure the Esbilac with goat's milk is not the way to go. Perhaps someone who knows more can chime in and explain why.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ekorre from:

The Esbilac you want has a fluffy white puppy on the can of powder.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ques96 from:

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Every baby squirrel I have received that was on kitten formula before coming to me had stinky diarrhea!

No, do not get the Esbilac goat's milk formula, you want the powdered (and not liquid) Esbilac puppy formula. Tractor Supply also usually carries it.. You can use the following temporarily if you have to order the Esbilac or otherwise are delayed in getting Esbilac:

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    TEMPORARY GOAT'S MILK FORMULA:

3 parts goat’s milk
    1 part heavy whipping cream*
    1 part vanilla yogurt

Formula will last 48 hours in refrigerator.

Goat’s Milk
    This can be purchased at natural food stores such as Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods, and at most health food stores that sell groceries. It is a product for humans. Do not substitute commercial formula made for baby goats or other livestock sold at feed stores.

Goat’s milk is available fresh in a carton; evaporated in a can; and as a powdered milk. If you purchase either the evaporated or powdered versions, please blend them with water according to the package directions before using to make the formula.

Heavy Whipping Cream
    This is found in small cartons in the grocery store near the coffee creamers and half and half. Regular heavy cream may be substituted if it is unavailable, but the heavy whipping cream has the highest fat content, and is preferred.

Yogurt
    Yogurt has beneficial bacteria in it that soothes and settles digestion. Full fat yogurt is best, and a good choice that is very widely available is Stoneyfield Yobaby yogurt. However if it is unavailable, a low fat vanilla yogurt may be substituted. Avoid those that have artificial sweeteners in them. Vanilla and banana are both popular flavors, and the sweet taste of the yogurt helps to convince the baby to accept it.

It has been recently discovered that very small pinky squirrels do better with the ESBILAC PUPPY FORMULA, with probiotics, instead of Fox Valley. If the Goat's Milk formula is used, omit the heavy whipping cream for the first two weeks of life.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Ekorre (09-05-2016)

Default Re: 7ish week old squirrel white poop

Hi! Thank you all for your help with the diarrhea, our little dude has gotten past it and has been thriving! However today, for the first time, he had white poop. I weighed him yesterday he is 148gr and am feeding him 9-10 cc's of puppy esbilac every 4 hours. I read it could be because of over feeding, am I feeding too much?

Thank you all so much for the work you do!

Default Re: 7ish week old squirrel white poop

Hi! Thank you all for your help with the diarrhea, our little dude has gotten past it and has been thriving! However today, for the first time, he had white poop. I weighed him yesterday he is 148gr and am feeding him 9-10 cc's of puppy esbilac every 4 hours. I read it could be because of over feeding, am I feeding too much?

Thank you all so much for the work you do!
    White poop is an indication of overfeeding. How often are you feeding?
    The amount is right in the "ball park" but you may be feeding too frequently.
    Are you using the powdered pupply Esbilac?

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

I have been feeding every 4 hours except for overnight when I'll go 6. I am feeding the puppy Esbilac. I've dropped him down to 5% of his body weight which is 7.5cc's, his poop has been becoming less white, it's more yellow brown right now.

That sounds like he's moving in the right direction. You can move it back up but just do it gradually. I usually move up a half cc at a time as long a poop stays in the dark yellow zone.
    Squammy to: Jordyn & Parkyr -Southern Flyers

2016 Babies - Sweet Pea & Chance

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,
    Screech, Fiona, Porgy & Bess

RIP: Itty Bitty, Rascal, Whisper

Passion4Trashin on eBay ~ Click the link below to find great deals!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    or here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Passi...6044929?ref=hl
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    passionfortrashin@gmail.com
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.