"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Default Re: Turkeys!!!! Dieing!

I'm going now, sounds like you're in excellent hands. Good Luck and I'll still be praying for your babies. Just breath, It'll be alright. God Bless you and the babies.
    Pamela Lee

Quote Originally Posted by pamela lee
    I'm going now, sounds like you're in excellent hands. Good Luck and I'll still be praying for your babies. Just breath, It'll be alright. God Bless you and the babies.
    Pamela Lee
    breathing. I got an answering machine (man I hate them things) they make me so nervous..though I am not sure why.. I left him a message ..I will be waiting for a phone call back

Thank you so much for all of your help pamela.

Critter_Queen Guest

I'm praying for your little ones, NG. If anyone can help them you can... You've done everything possible to help them to survive.

Critter_Queen Guest

I LOVE invisible administrators!

thanks critter queen.

I have to go to work right now so I am giving them one last tubing of yogurt and pedialite probios and cayenne (I am tubing them b/c it says they stop eating so I want to be sure it gets in them ..)

My sister is going to peak in on them and then when my mom gets home she will watch them .. I will be home in 2 1/2 hours (its the quickest I can milk 75 cows )

talk ot you all then and thank you all for your support and prayers.

one last thought... should I add some kaytee to my tubing formula?

Acidified copper sulfate is readily available and used to treat blackhead (Histomonas meleagridis). Metronidazole is very effective but harder to find.

Quote Originally Posted by LynninIN
    Acidified copper sulfate is readily available and used to treat blackhead (Histomonas meleagridis). Metronidazole is very effective but harder to find.

ok I am home now I had a weird run in with a coon so it took me a lil while ot get here.

The guy from the mississippi college called and he said USA no longer sells the emetryl. He said to try some sulfa stuff (my dad has the name written down on paper) SO I should get it tomorrow.

I will also look for the acidified copper sulfate thank you so much lynnin

As an update none of the four turkeys are showing critical signs they just have the balck head thing so I will continue my tubing.

anyone have an answer to me adding kaytee to the tubing mixture?

Quote Originally Posted by LynninIN

Metronidazole is branded as "Flagyl". The vet I used to work for prescribed it and we had it on hand. Maybe follow up with another local vet to see if they will sell you some.

Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by skwerls_R_soft
    Metronidazole is branded as "Flagyl". The vet I used to work for prescribed it and we had it on hand. Maybe follow up with another local vet to see if they will sell you some.

Good luck!!

thank you.. I will call every vet again tomorrow. I pray they can help me

anybody know if I should start adding kaytee to my tubing mixture (as a source of food since they starve themselves ?)

Apple Corps Guest

Several treatments - scroll down this linked article - sounds as if some may be available - good luck and so sorry to hear about your lil birds :-(

http://extension.missouri.edu/explor...oultry0002.htm

Mornin' Mandie, How are your baby turkeys today? I have no idea what Kaytee is so I'm no help. I wish I could be of more help, but all I can offer is prayer and support. You know your doing the very best you can and that's all you can expect of yourself.
    Pamela Lee

Gabe Guest

Mandie, what are you tubing them with?
    I would use the FoNS diet for now, that is the same one you used for the starlings. Add a little yogurt to it. Sorry to get on here and read about your turkeys. Hope you find the meds you need.

ok all is calm here.

ok Gabe this is what I am tubing them. Due to black head causing there appetite to decline they dont eat with the same gusto they should and I was told ot keep putting Cayenne and yogurt in them. (the cayenne fights the bacteria/worms and the yogurt helps heal ) SO far this is the longest I have had them go b4 they start getting this transfixed look in there eyes.. then they normally progress to flailing around. (wings and feet and neck) there head starts staying in an almost backwards postion and then they sometimes go int a coma type state and die. Its gruesome.

But I dont want to get my hopes up but I think tubing them helps...

I am tubing them 1 cc of pedialite with cayenne and probios and a cc of yogurt with live cultures. about every 2 hours. I thought adding a bit af kaytee would add osme food content.

I dont think I can get the dog food down to a watery enough state to be able to pass through my tubing. It is very thin.

I am getting off and restarting my vet calls. I will let you know what they tell me.

Thanks Gammas and Gabe yor the bestest friendsI could ask for!

APPLE corps I read the link (the black head part ) and I copied all the med names down and I will ask the vet about those to thank you

Thanks you pamela for your prayers and for sticking right here with me

This is the first forum I actually feel compelled to come to everyday.Its like one big family. because we are all joined together with one common thing LOVE. I just want to thank everyone on this forum for helping me

o boy no vets here carry any of those drugs.. then they askk what is it for? I say turkeys and they say we dont specialize in turkeys no ine in this area does.

But good news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Jumping for joy!

I had an enlightning momment! How about the hatchery I bought my bronze babies and all my chickens from.. so I looked up there website and sure enough WELLA !!!!!!!!!!!

they have the Acidified Copper Sulfate I am ordering some as I type!!!!!!

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo is offline Licensed rehabber specializing in squirrels and bunnies, Ohio

That is great news!
    SQUIRRELS RULE AND BUNNIES TOO!

o ok still working on ordering. The wewebsite is having some glitch! I am trying to order these medsand when I go to check out it tells me thet one female of this species of bird doesnt weigh enough And that there is a required weight for shipping live birds.Um k! SO I called them and I guess it wasnt the same meds as I needed BUT they have two other meds for Turkeys with blackhead. ! its only $27 !!!! so I just gotta get my dad to get the call and order since its his card !

As an exiting side note 3 out of the four turkeys that had the "blackhead" on ther head have gone back to normal heads!!!!!!! I stil want to treat them and have extra stuff on hand just in case. I am soo happy !!! I am still keeping them seporate till afterI treat all of the turks !!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought they would all die.. I am soo relieved.

Critter_Queen Guest

YAY!!!!! :wott :wott ~waving my hands in the air~

I'm glad to hear that your chicks are improving!!!

Yeah, I've been gone all day and just got on here to check on the little guys. I'm so thrilled to hear some good news. I'll keep hoping and praying the babies keep improving. You're doing a great job NaturesGift. Hope you get the meds soon.
    Pamela

thank you both!!! ok her is pics.

this is the "waddle" *I think* of a healthy turkey (the circle dot thing close to her beak

notice its peachy pink?

well here is my last baby with a black head Its starting to clear and the photos fuzzy b/c she wouldnt hold still!

so happy but not getting my hopes up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast