Thread: Please help bloated 3 week old baby not peeing or pooping

Exclamation Please help bloated 3 week old baby not peeing or pooping

Hoping someone here can help me! I'm going out of my mind with worry. I have a 3 week old orphaned baby who seems very bloated. He's not peeing except for little droplets here and there, and hasn't pooped since 11pm last night

I've stopped his formula (esbilac powder diluted with water) and today he's only had one 3cc syringe of his diluted formula and a 3cc syringe of sugar water. I've given 0.1ml simethicone and have been doing the warm water soaks with massage every twenty min with no results. Is there anything else I can do??? Pic attached. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  524.7 KB

Also: how often can I safely give him the gas medicine?

Default Re: Please help bloated 3 week old baby not peeing or pooping

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowTailSquirrel View Post
    Also: how often can I safely give him the gas medicine?
    How much does he weigh?

Can you post a picture of his belly from a side view?

He's 88g. This is the best side view I could get at the moment, he's a wiggler. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  513.6 KB

Simethicone/Gas Drops: You should be okay to give him 0.2ml. This is a relative "safe" drug and WMB does not have guidance on frequency other than "as needed". I have used it every 4 hours but would even use it more frequently if I were "frantic".

Can you provide some back ground... how long has the squirrel been in your care? Are you adding anything to the Esbilac (besides water, 2 parts water to 1 part Esbilac powder)? How often are you feeding him, and how much?

Thank you so much! I will give more of the gas meds then.

I think where I messed up was adding 1/4 tsp heavy whipping cream to the esbilac & water mix. I won't be doing that anymore! That's the only thing I can think of that might have caused this...

I've been feeding 3-4cc every 3 hrs. He came in on Sunday from a neighbor who found him. Attempted to reunite with mom unsuccessfully so I've had him since. His ear was infested with maggots but that's been taken care of with capstar and ivermectin.

Do you think it's safe to give him maybe 1cc sugar water? Afraid of him becoming overly dehydrated waiting for this bloat to go down. He last had liquid at 8am.

Had he been peeing and pooping before?
    President--Meemor Anonymous,
    Mary...
    MISS YOU NUT, LOVE YOU FOREVER.
    BEAN, NOW IN HEAVEN BUT FOREVER IN MY HEART,
    I AM A BETTER PERSON FOR HAVING LOVED YOU.
    BUDDY...YOU WERE MY BEST FRIEND AND I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER.
    PEANUT...YOU CHANGED ME FOREVER..AND TOOK MY HEART WHEN YOU LEFT.
    I WILL MISS YOU FOREVER AND A DAY.

He had about 2 really good pees since I've had him, and the rest have been just little drops here and there. He was pooping infrequently. His last poop was at 11 last night and nothing since.

Thank you so much! I will give more of the gas meds then.

I think where I messed up was adding 1/4 tsp heavy whipping cream to the esbilac & water mix. I won't be doing that anymore! That's the only thing I can think of that might have caused this...

I've been feeding 3-4cc every 3 hrs. He came in on Sunday from a neighbor who found him. Attempted to reunite with mom unsuccessfully so I've had him since. His ear was infested with maggots but that's been taken care of with capstar and ivermectin.

Do you think it's safe to give him maybe 1cc sugar water? Afraid of him becoming overly dehydrated waiting for this bloat to go down. He last had liquid at 8am.
    His last poops were dark brown / black "mommy poops"? It is typical that is takes some time to gets things moving and transition from mommy's milk and dark poos to Esbilac and the yellow/golden poops. Sometimes a full days (and even more on occasion).

Were you feeding full strength Esbilac (2 parts water, 1 part Esbilac powder) or diluting is more for the transition? Also, are you mixing the Esbilac up in advance (many hours)? If not, he may be having a hard time digesting the Esbilac since it takes a while for it to fully dissolve in the water. Mixing up at least 4 hours ahead of feeding really helps the powder to dissolve and makes it easier for baby to digest. I would agree with leaving the heavy cream out. Once their eyes open I transition from Esbilac to a half Esbilac and half FV 20/50 (for extra fat).

Rule of thumb for feeding is 5%-7% of body weight each feeding. At 88grams that would be about 4.5ML - 6ML every 3 - 4 hours.

Have you dealt with maggots in their ears before?

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

PennyCash (08-30-2016), ShadowTailSquirrel (08-30-2016)

Hydration is usually beneficial to keep things moving. Sending thoughts of

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    His last poops were dark brown / black "mommy poops"? It is typical that is takes some time to gets things moving and transition from mommy's milk and dark poos to Esbilac and the yellow/golden poops. Sometimes a full days (and even more on occasion).

Were you feeding full strength Esbilac (2 parts water, 1 part Esbilac powder) or diluting is more for the transition? Also, are you mixing the Esbilac up in advance (many hours)? If not, he may be having a hard time digesting the Esbilac since it takes a while for it to fully dissolve in the water. Mixing up at least 4 hours ahead of feeding really helps the powder to dissolve and makes it easier for baby to digest. I would agree with leaving the heavy cream out. Once their eyes open I transition from Esbilac to a half Esbilac and half FV 20/50 (for extra fat).

Rule of thumb for feeding is 5%-7% of body weight each feeding. At 88grams that would be about 4.5ML - 6ML every 3 - 4 hours.

Have you dealt with maggots in their ears before?

Yep they were that darker color. I was diluting the formula mix with extra water to transition, but I didn't know about preparing the formula hours in advance so I fear that might be the main cause of all this. I feel awful! Thank you for informing me!

This was my first maggot experience...I spent hours sucking them out with a dropper before treating with the capstar and ivermectin. No signs of them since...knock wood! Yuck!

Quote Originally Posted by PennyCash View Post
    Hydration is usually beneficial to keep things moving. Sending thoughts of
    I'm just worried about adding water on top of the bloat, but you think it's ok to offer a little until the bloat subsidies more?

And thank you! I seriously never thought I'd be thinking about and hoping for poop & pee so much in my life lol

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ShadowTailSquirrel from:

PennyCash (08-30-2016)

His ear was infested with maggots but that's been taken care of with capstar and ivermectin.
    How did you dose the ivermectin.
    This is highly toxic if not dosed correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    How did you dose the ivermectin.
    This is highly toxic if not dosed correctly.
    My vet actually dosed the ivermectin when the capstar I used didn't get the job done

Can you share the story of how this baby was found?. I just had a baby with what I thought was horrible bloat and it turned out that he was in liver failure due to heat stroke. His thread is Mikey.

Trysh

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

PennyCash (08-30-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    Can you share the story of how this baby was found?. I just had a baby with what I thought was horrible bloat and it turned out that he was in liver failure due to heat stroke. His thread is Mikey.

Trysh
    Just read Mikey's thread, so happy to hear he made such a great recovery!

This little one fell from his nest, but was caught immediately by my neighbors. They set him out to see if mom would come get him with no luck. I don't know if he was out long enough to get heat stroke, but I suppose it's possible unfortunately. I had him at the vet Mon and had an x-ray done. Nothing looked off, but would something like that even show up in x-ray? He wasn't bloated yesterday, just today after his first series of formula feedings.

Btw, still no pee or poop. Very worried! I've heard diluted apple juice might help? Is that something worth trying? Still doing soaks and gas meds.

Apple juice is good or canned pumpkin (not the pie mix, just plain pumpkin). I would be more concerned about the bloat than the lack of poo at this point...

Did you start him on antibiotics after the maggots in the ear? I had three siblings a week ago with maggots, one little boy who was the worse had a bunch in his ear. I debated about giving antibiotics and did not start them right away and his ear became infected in a few days (and then I did start the antibiotics.. should have gone with my gut originally!).

WOW!?!? Capstar did not get the job done... I don't think I ever heard of that before!

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Apple juice is good or canned pumpkin (not the pie mix, just plain pumpkin). I would be more concerned about the bloat than the lack of poo at this point...

Did you start him on antibiotics after the maggots in the ear? I had three siblings a week ago with maggots, one little boy who was the worse had a bunch in his ear. I debated about giving antibiotics and did not start them right away and his ear became infected in a few days (and then I did start the antibiotics.. should have gone with my gut originally!).

WOW!?!? Capstar did not get the job done... I don't think I ever heard of that before!
    The bloat seems to slowly be going down I think. The gas meds might finally be kicking in, I hope! He even peed earlier! Hoping he's on the mend...

I had initially thought about antibiotics after the maggots, but my vet who administered the ivermectin didn't think he needed them. I'm starting to kind of question that now though. I think the capstar not working is probably my fault. I don't think I gave enough. I thought I'd gotten them, but when I had him at the vet a few more of those nasty little things crawled out of his ear, and that's when my vet went with the ivermectin.