Thread: Found Squirrel

ksantor Guest

Default Found Squirrel

Just found a baby that is sick? hurt? It is raining and getting dark so did not want to leave it. I used a stick to get it in a flower pot, seems to not be using its legs but not sure. I put it in a cage with some peanuts and a t-shirt. I don't know anything about them. I am in Oak Forest IL. Anyone close to me? Can someone call me (708-203-4212) and tell me what to do?

MissDolittle Guest

Default Re: Found Squirrel

Hi, you just called me and I sent you here..hopefully you can find somebody
    near you to help you out. Let me explain some more details you told me on the
    phone but didn't mention here, which are important to the rehabbers:

First off, the stick was used gently to move the squirrel, because she was
    afraid the squirrel might bite. It sounds like a juvenile squirrel that got injured
    on the hind legs and it does not sound good, possibly internal injuries. I also
    suggested to put water into a syringe and try to offer it to the squirrel drop
    by drop and put tshirts in the cage.

Other than finding a rehabber ASAP I am at my wit's end here. It's pretty late,
    but I hope some of the rehabbers are still awake.

FYI
    I just spoke with her a few min ago.( 11:20 pm est ) Situation is serious and needs vet or rehabbeer care fast!!
    I gave basic info....warmth, rest, hydration. She is willing to give the baby to a qualified person.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rebecca <
    SC Wildlife Rehabilitator
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

i talked to her also, she said she'd keep it warm and give it water. hopefully it'll be alive this morning.

i've got my fingers crossed.
    :bounce2thundersquirrel:bounce2

ksantor Guest

Smile Re: Found Squirrel

It's Alive!!!!

YEAH!!!!!!!!
    Like I suggested last night....find a vet in your area, maybe they know a rehabber close by. If no rehabber in your area, than see if the vet (over the phone) treats wildlife FIRST! Some do, some don't. It's best to find out first before you get to the vets office.
    Keep us posted!!! Also read the post about squirrel with paralyzed legs and tail. A good outcome for muffinsquirrels Lil boy Dusty!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rebecca <
    SC Wildlife Rehabilitator
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

Wink Re: Found Squirrel

I have also rehabbed a paralyzed squirrel. He was an adult male that was hit by a car and laid in the peoples garden that found him for two days until they found me. When he came in he was paralyzed from the ribs down, had mange, and was severely dehydrated. It took seven months for his recovery and he came back to about 80% and was released. He only bit me one time on the second day I had him and was such a good boy to work with considering he was an adult when he came in. When he left you couldnt even tell he had ever had mange.

ksantor Guest

Thanks to all who helped!!! Baby looked much much better when we got up, he/she was sitting up eyes open big. A rehabber picked up the sweet baby a little bit ago. When she came and put him/her in a cat carrier baby was not happy, I was when it started RUNNING yes RUNNING with all legs going!! I think baby is going to be ok. I will let everyone know how he/she is doing. Thanks again, I don't think baby would have made it with out you all telling me to do. You saved him/her ..................Kim

MissDolittle Guest

You are a true animal lover! Thank you sooooo much for doing this .
    I would give you a biiiig hug right now if I could .

for caring! It's so nice to hear about the good things that can happen when people do care. Please keep us informed of his/her progress.

Quote Originally Posted by MissDolittle
    You are a true animal lover! Thank you sooooo much for doing this .
    I would give you a biiiig hug right now if I could .
    Yep, I agree... In a small way, you've done a great thing. Your karma hasn't been hurt at all.
    ~ Squerly

TheSquirrelBoard.com

Honesty is chosing to make the right decision...
    Integrity is chosing to make the right decision even when it hurts...

that's AWESOME kim! what a wonderful thing!

i knew you could do it. never doubted you for a second. maybe you should consider becoming a volunteer rehabber under a blanket license, like i am.
    :bounce2thundersquirrel:bounce2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.