Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby squirrel biting blanket repeatedly & self mutilating front paws

Squirrel Girl Guest

Default Baby squirrel biting blanket repeatedly & self mutilating front paws

I have been rehabbing baby squirrels since 2011. Another rehabber just sent a video of what this little squirrel in her care is doing. He is just biting a blanket over and over and over not resting at all. When she picks him up he is biting on his front paws. I have seen self mutilating due to nerve damage but this is completely different. Have never seen anything quite like this. One person brought up rabies. Since it's almost impossible for a squirrel to even contract rabies I disagree. Anyone out there??? Help!!!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirrel Girl from:

Shewhosweptforest (08-23-2016)

Default Re: Baby squirrel biting blanket repeatedly & self mutilating front paws

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Girl View Post
    I have been rehabbing baby squirrels since 2011. Another rehabber just sent a video of what this little squirrel in her care is doing. He is just biting a blanket over and over and over not resting at all. When she picks him up he is biting on his front paws. I have seen self mutilating due to nerve damage but this is completely different. Have never seen anything quite like this. One person brought up rabies. Since it's almost impossible for a squirrel to even contract rabies I disagree. Anyone out there??? Help!!!
    Not Rabies! Hungry?

Got pictures or video?

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Daisey007:

Shewhosweptforest (08-23-2016), UDoWhat (08-23-2016)

Default Re: Baby squirrel biting blanket repeatedly & self mutilating front paws

It sounds like this could be associated with pain.
    What's his age, and when does he stop biting....while eating/resting?
    How long has she had him?
    Is there a history on this little one?

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Daisey007 (08-22-2016), Shewhosweptforest (08-23-2016), Spanky (08-22-2016)

Squirrel Girl Guest

I have a video - don't know how to post it though!

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Squirrel Girl:

Daisey007 (08-23-2016), Shewhosweptforest (08-23-2016)

I have a video - don't know how to post it though!

You can email it to me and I will see if I can post it.

Put squirrel in the subject line.
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 08-22-2016 at 10:33 PM. Reason: removed email address

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Here is the video of the little guy:

12. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Daisey007 (08-23-2016), Nancy in New York (08-22-2016), Shewhosweptforest (08-23-2016)

Thank you Spanky so much for posting this, I was having one heck of a problem.
    I have never seen that either.
    Clearly there are neuro issues.
    How long has she had this squirrel, and what's the history.
    His little eyes seem so large, like he's afraid.
    Poor little angel.

14. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Thank you Spanky so much for posting this, I was having one heck of a problem.
    I have never seen that either.
    Clearly there are neuro issues.
    How long has she had this squirrel, and what's the history.
    His little eyes seem so large, like he's afraid.
    Poor little angel.
    Oh my, that's so sad! He almost seems angry... and perhaps in pain too. What if he's gently wrapped where he can't bite his hands and put into a very dimly lit room, will he sleep?

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Daisey007 from:

Shewhosweptforest (08-23-2016)

I agree with Nancy....I'd say he has neuro issues...and because of that he's confused....most likely in pain....or just extreme anxiety because he's confused so do you have anything you can give him for pain? He looks rough...his fur is very spikey.....almost like he just had a bath....poor lil bub is in extreme distress
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Shewhosweptforest:

Daisey007 (08-23-2016), Nancy in New York (08-23-2016)

Nerve damage to the shoulders or neck
    area would cause baby to do this.

Was this baby cat caught around the neck????

Scurry Central
    living and loving squirrel

20. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lilidukes:

Mommaluvy (08-23-2016), Shewhosweptforest (08-23-2016)

Just guessing...but if the baby fell (eg. from a nest) and injured his jaw or teeth, maybe he would bite things like he was teething ????

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stosh2010 from:

Mommaluvy (08-23-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Shewhosweptforest View Post
    He looks rough...his fur is very spikey.....almost like he just had a bath....poor lil bub is in extreme distress
    Exactly, he does look very spikey.
    Can you give some history on this little one?
    How he came to you, his diet, how long you've had him,
    and if you have a vet that knows squirrels?
    Thank you for helping him, he's a tiny little one, cute
    as can be.

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

My opinion is Head trauma .

I have seen this once in an eyes closed baby.. She bit anything she could get till the swelling went down. Me, nipple, blanket, siblings ... I was just mentioning her in another thread. She fell 50 ft onto a dead sibling... So we knew it was not likely rabies.

As far as rabies.. Anything is possible but it's not probabal. UNLESS you are in an area where there is epidemic. If your up in Penn.. And she drops dead then I would have her tested but if she has not bitten a human then I would not euth to test her. If she has not been attacked by a critter then I would not consider it much at all.

For instance in my state ( Ohio) we would not even quarentine her unless she came from one of the 12 counties bordering Penn. we have had only one chipmunk and like 2 squirrels that had rabies since testing started . They usually don't survive the bite.

How is her appetite?

All that said., I would worry more about head trauma than rabies.
    Stephanie Carlson

St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/

26. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mommaluvy:

Daisey007 (08-23-2016), lennysmom (08-23-2016), Nancy in New York (08-23-2016), Shewhosweptforest (08-23-2016)

Squirrel Girl Guest

I sent an update video he is doing better today- on Metcam for pain.

28. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Squirrel Girl:

Daisey007 (08-23-2016), Mommaluvy (08-23-2016), Shewhosweptforest (08-23-2016)

I sent an update video he is doing better today- on Metcam for pain.
    I have not see it he video t but that's what I treated my girl with. Took her 3 days to stop having seizures and biting her paws and me and everything else. Yeah ! Good job
    Stephanie Carlson

St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/

30. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mommaluvy:

Another video of this little one.. I am sorry it took all day, I am having Internet connection issues...

32. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Daisey007 (08-23-2016), lennysmom (08-23-2016), Nancy in New York (08-23-2016), Shewhosweptforest (08-23-2016)

Poor baby. I don't know what's going on with this little one. Personally I would put him in a larger container with a lot more fleece to hide in and cover the container so he doesn't feel as exposed.

Is there an injury on his left flank just in front of his hip? I noticed it around the 8 second mark on the video. It may just be his fur sticking up. It looks like a dark circle.
    Squammy to: Jordyn & Parkyr -Southern Flyers

2016 Babies - Sweet Pea & Chance

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,
    Screech, Fiona, Porgy & Bess

RIP: Itty Bitty, Rascal, Whisper

Passion4Trashin on eBay ~ Click the link below to find great deals!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    or here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Passi...6044929?ref=hl
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    passionfortrashin@gmail.com
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

34. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to ALittleNutty:

Quote Originally Posted by ALittleNutty View Post
    Poor baby. I don't know what's going on with this little one. Personally I would put him in a larger container with a lot more fleece to hide in and cover the container so he doesn't feel as exposed.

Is there an injury on his left flank just in front of his hip? I noticed it around the 8 second mark on the video. It may just be his fur sticking up. It looks like a dark circle.
    Oh definitely a BIGGER container. Poor little bub needs room to stretch those legs,
    and toys, and fleece, and and and........

Thank you again Spanky for posting this. For some reason, I can't open these OR save them.

36. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

What is this baby's story?? What condition was he in when you got him?? I have to say he looks emaciated, hungry and dehydrated. He is starving. How much and how often is he eating. What formula is he on?? He still needs to be on formula and starting block. How much does he weigh? He looks so tiny to be eyes opened.

Rehabbers please take another look. I am not thinking neuro?? IMO this baby is so hungry and needs formula. He needs to be in a wire cage not a plastic bin. He needs a stuffie and more fleece. Even a hammock. Something to chew on like some block and a water source. I am guessing this baby is 6 weeks old at least and looks more like a 4 week old weight, maybe, if that. If this baby is fed properly I believe he will settle down and you will see a big difference in his behavior. Poor little thing.

38. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to UDoWhat:

cava (08-26-2016), Nancy in New York (08-23-2016), redwuff (08-23-2016), Shewhosweptforest (08-23-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by UDoWhat View Post
    What is this baby's story?? What condition was he in when you got him?? I have to say he looks emaciated, hungry and dehydrated. He is starving. How much and how often is he eating. What formula is he on?? He still needs to be on formula and starting block. How much does he weigh? He looks so tiny to be eyes opened.

Rehabbers please take another look. I am not thinking neuro?? IMO this baby is so hungry and needs formula. He needs to be in a wire cage not a plastic bin. He needs a stuffie and more fleece. Even a hammock. Something to chew on like some block and a water source. I am guessing this baby is 6 weeks old at least and looks more like a 4 week old weight, maybe, if that. If this baby is fed properly I believe he will settle down and you will see a big difference in his behavior. Poor little thing.
    I couldn't agree more.
    I can't even go back and watch the video again, because I just want to cry.
    This poor innocent little baby needs help.
    We are here to help you, just let us know what you need
    for this little one.
    PLEASE let us help.

40. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

ALittleNutty (08-23-2016), Kit-Ten (08-27-2016), redwuff (08-23-2016), Shewhosweptforest (08-23-2016), UDoWhat (08-23-2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1