Thread: Some questions about Revolution/Stronghold

Exclamation Some questions about Revolution/Stronghold

I'm hoping some of you wonderful, knowledgeable people will be able to help me out with this. My husband and I need to catch a young, wild squirrel who needs our help (which means bringing it indoors). More about that here: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-use-some-help!

Anyway, we're a bit paranoid about fleas, mites, lice, ticks, etc. as we're renting an apartment and absolutely can not risk our home becoming infested. The squirrel doesn't have much fur (poor thing!) but it does have some and we've seen it scratch itself from time to time.

Is Revolution for kittens available without a prescription in the U.S.? Here in the UK, it seems that "Stronghold" is similar to Revolution (if not exactly the same?), but I haven't been able to find a place (yet) where it's available without a prescription from a vet. Here's a link to it here in the UK:

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/pet-meds-pres...ns-15mg-p-8993

So, my questions are:

How likely is it that a squirrel that doesn't have much fur has fleas/lice/mites/ticks?

What's our best course of action to prevent our home from becoming infested if the squirrel does have any of the above?

If we can get Revolution for kittens or Stronghold for kittens, would it be safe to use on a really tiny 6-7 month old squirrel that has very little fur? (It's somewhat larger than an adult rat and our guess is that it weighs somewhere between 200-350 grams.)

Also, how much should we use and how often? Where should it be applied?

Thanks in advance!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ekorre from:

squirrelgirl30 (06-21-2018)

Default Re: Some questions about Revolution/Stronghold

More info on Stronghold (don't know if it's the same as Revolution):

A colourless to yellow ready to use solution of selamectin. Stronghold is presented in a single use plastic tube for cutaneous (spot-on) administration to dogs and cats.

Each tube contains (respectively):

Stronghold 15 mg (this is the one we would get - it's for kittens):

0.25 ml 6% selamectin

Stronghold 30 mg:

0.25 ml 12% selamectin

Stronghold 45 mg:

0.75 ml 6% selamectin

Stronghold 60 mg:

0.5 ml 12% selamectin

Stronghold 120 mg:

1 ml 12% selamectin

Stronghold 240 mg:

2 ml 12% selamectin

Do you have Dawn dishwashing liquid? If you will make a warm water solution with a drop or two of Dawn and wipe the squirrel down gently, avoiding eyes and mouth of course, you will see any fleas or lice drop off and die. Squirrel fleas are not like dog/cat fleas at all; they are species specific, and they are much slower than dog/cat fleas. Frankly I have never heard of a home becoming infested because of a squirrel. If you want to be extra careful, look for a product made by Zodiac called Flea & Tick Spray, and treat your furniture and carpets with it once. It's excellent stuff and you can get a good night's sleep not thinking about infestation.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Ekorre (08-22-2016), squirrelgirl30 (06-21-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    Do you have Dawn dishwashing liquid? If you will make a warm water solution with a drop or two of Dawn and wipe the squirrel down gently, avoiding eyes and mouth of course, you will see any fleas or lice drop off and die. Squirrel fleas are not like dog/cat fleas at all; they are species specific, and they are much slower than dog/cat fleas. Frankly I have never heard of a home becoming infested because of a squirrel. If you want to be extra careful, look for a product made by Zodiac called Flea & Tick Spray, and treat your furniture and carpets with it once. It's excellent stuff and you can get a good night's sleep not thinking about infestation.
    Thanks for the advice & information! Nope, no Dawn dishwashing liquid here. We have an unscented natural dishwashing liquid called Bio D that we use.(http://www.biodegradable.biz/product...-liquid-750ml/)

I have a feeling this squirrel is going to be too freaked out in the beginning to let us do much of anything...let alone try to wipe it down, but I hope I'm wrong.

Should we use the Revolution/Stronghold at all on the squirrel? Is there any risk in doing so?

I'm doing my best to make sure we have everything we need before we attempt to catch it and this is a big concern. We need so many things that simply are not available here in the UK....

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ekorre from:

Quote Originally Posted by Ekorre View Post
    Thanks for the advice & information! Nope, no Dawn dishwashing liquid here. We have an unscented natural dishwashing liquid called Bio D that we use.(http://www.biodegradable.biz/product...-liquid-750ml/)

I have a feeling this squirrel is going to be too freaked out in the beginning to let us do much of anything...let alone try to wipe it down, but I hope I'm wrong.

Should we use the Revolution/Stronghold at all on the squirrel? Is there any risk in doing so?

I'm doing my best to make sure we have everything we need before we attempt to catch it and this is a big concern. We need so many things that simply are not available here in the UK....
    Revolution is Selamectin which is the same active ingredient in Stronghold. You can use just a drop on the back of the neck or even give a drop orally (like on a nut).

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Ekorre (08-23-2016)

Yes, Stronghold is the same as Revolution...... its just sold in other countries under a different name which does not require a doctor's Rx to obtain it....... I order Stronghold from Canada or the UK all the time for my squirrels over 8 weeks old.

11. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rhapsody:

Ekorre (08-23-2016), island rehabber (08-23-2016), squirrelgirl30 (06-21-2018)

Here in the US, we can order what is actually Stronghold through www.Joespetmeds.com. Check to see if you can too. The Revolution/Stronghold I have gotten from them ships to the US from Australia but it is very fast shipping - I have always gotten mine in a week and I couldn't be further from Australia and still be on the planet!

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Ekorre (08-23-2016), island rehabber (08-23-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Here in the US, we can order what is actually Stronghold through www.Joespetmeds.com. Check to see if you can too. The Revolution/Stronghold I have gotten from them ships to the US from Australia but it is very fast shipping - I have always gotten mine in a week and I couldn't be further from Australia and still be on the planet!
    Thanks for the tip, I'll take a look at that site.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
    Yes, Stronghold is the same as Revolution...... its just sold in other countries under a different name which does not require a doctor's Rx to obtain it....... I order Stronghold from Canada or the UK all the time for my squirrels over 8 weeks old.
    Thanks for clarifying that. I've only found one place (so far) here in the UK that seems to sell Stronghold without a prescription: https://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/stro...n-15mg/prd-q5o and it's very expensive (£17.99). Where do you buy from in the UK & Canada? In my research thus far, it seems that most places here absolutely require a prescription (which I can't get).

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Revolution is Selamectin which is the same active ingredient in Stronghold. You can use just a drop on the back of the neck or even give a drop orally (like on a nut).
    Great, thanks for letting me know!

I just wonder if it's even necessary to use it on this little one? The squirrel is incredibly small and has very little fur. I don't want to put chemicals in its fragile system unless I really have to and Stronghold is quite expensive. We'll use it if we need to, but I just wonder if it's overkill? I'm also considering Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth.

Do most of you use Revolution/Stronghold on the squirrels you keep inside?

Have any of you had any problems with fleas/lice/mites/ticks from squirrels winding up on your person or in your home?

I appreciate the help!

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ekorre from:

Have any of you had any problems with fleas/lice/mites/ticks from squirrels winding up on your person or in your home?
    I raised two small babies to adults, they were in my home for 9-10 months. When they were first found, helpless on the ground with eyes closed, they had a few fleas. I removed them, and they never got anything, or caused a problem for me.

The only issue I ever had was a few ants coming to get the crumbs that they dropped when they ate, because they do shred things they eat, leaving messes. I had given them a very woodsy inside environment with lots of leaves and dirt on the floor, so it was just about impossible for me to clean sweep the floor to remove crumbs. I never saw more than a few ants, so I did not worry too much. I knew I could clean it all up when they left.

I did bring in sizeable old wood branches, and they did hatch some insects, which I continued to catch and release outside as I found them in their cage. I probably shouldn't have brought in the dead old branches. I just wanted them to experience fresh branches and dead branches. Live and learn...

That was my experience.
    I feel they are pretty clean animals themselves.

One more note, they do like to mark things with pee. This was surprising at first. Because they were friendly with me, they would climb on me and then pee on me, my back, shoulder, leg, foot. Even on the top of my head when they were on an overhead branch. They had a large walk-in enclosure in the house. The real surprise, was when they were hanging on the cage wire as I approached them, with their white bellies in full view of me, they let out a pee stream covered me front on as I got close to them. :-0 I have made peace with squirrel pee, I now consider it a gift of love.

Hope that helps.

19. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Lighten-Up:

Ekorre (08-24-2016), squirrelgirl30 (06-21-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Lighten-Up View Post
    I raised two small babies to adults, they were in my home for 9-10 months. When they were first found, helpless on the ground with eyes closed, they had a few fleas. I removed them, and they never got anything, or caused a problem for me.

The only issue I ever had was a few ants coming to get the crumbs that they dropped when they ate, because they do shred things they eat, leaving messes. I had given them a very woodsy inside environment with lots of leaves and dirt on the floor, so it was just about impossible for me to clean sweep the floor to remove crumbs. I never saw more than a few ants, so I did not worry too much. I knew I could clean it all up when they left.

I did bring in sizeable old wood branches, and they did hatch some insects, which I continued to catch and release outside as I found them in their cage. I probably shouldn't have brought in the dead old branches. I just wanted them to experience fresh branches and dead branches. Live and learn...

That was my experience.
    I feel they are pretty clean animals themselves.

One more note, they do like to mark things with pee. This was surprising at first. Because they were friendly with me, they would climb on me and then pee on me, my back, shoulder, leg, foot. Even on the top of my head when they were on an overhead branch. They had a large walk-in enclosure in the house. The real surprise, was when they were hanging on the cage wire as I approached them, with their white bellies in full view of me, they let out a pee stream covered me front on as I got close to them. :-0 I have made peace with squirrel pee, I now consider it a gift of love.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks for all of that very useful information!

I've dealt with a lot of rat pee over the years (they'll pee anywhere - on your shoulder, down your shirt...wherever they happen to be at the time (same with poop). Squirrels are new to me, so I have a lot to learn. I have no problem with messy eating and am prepared to clean up just about anything.

For some reason, bugs love me and I often have allergic reactions - which is part of the reason for the concern about the squirrel bringing fleas/lice/mites/ticks into our home. I want to make sure the squirrel is as comfortable, healthy, and happy as possible and protect ourselves (and our home) at the same time.

It sounds like you created a wonderful environment for those two babies!

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Ekorre from:

Lighten-Up (08-24-2016)

Do most of you use Revolution/Stronghold on the squirrels you keep inside?
    Babies that come in with critters on them can usually be eliminated and controlled with a good bath in Dawn (I do not know if Bio is similar?) and some diligence on in take (i.e. removing any visible critters manually with fingers, tweezers, combs, etc.). I have read that some rehabbers give every squirrel that they intake with Revolution.

I have never had a home invasion of creepy crawlies in treating either
    orphaned babies or injured adults. "Squirrel" fleas are a different type of flea from your typical dog flea and my understanding is squirrel fleas will not infest a dog or cat. Squirrel fleas are long skinny things that seem to "swim" through the squirrel fur and not the far jumping, tiny round specs we see on dogs.

I'm also considering Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth.

DE certainly would be helpful, I use this in my outdoor cages and nest boxes. But I will say that when the little one comes in if you have the options to manually remove critters and bathe them that is the best way to start. If he seems already compromised with lice/mites/fleas whatever, I would strongly suggest the Revolution / Stronghold. It is going to be extremely effective, long lasting and relatively safe as far as "chemical" options. And it can kill / control some internal parasites as well. All the squirrels I release (including the babies when it is time for them to be free) get a dose of Revolution before facing mother nature's nasty little buggers (and yes, it is expensive... but worth it IMO).

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Ekorre (08-29-2016), squirrelgirl30 (06-21-2018)

Thanks for all of that very useful information!

I've dealt with a lot of rat pee over the years (they'll pee anywhere - on your shoulder, down your shirt...wherever they happen to be at the time (same with poop). Squirrels are new to me, so I have a lot to learn. I have no problem with messy eating and am prepared to clean up just about anything.

For some reason, bugs love me and I often have allergic reactions - which is part of the reason for the concern about the squirrel bringing fleas/lice/mites/ticks into our home. I want to make sure the squirrel is as comfortable, healthy, and happy as possible and protect ourselves (and our home) at the same time.

It sounds like you created a wonderful environment for those two babies!
    I realize that it will be harder for you to look over this adult wild that you bring into the house to see if it has any pests. Here's one idea, a guy who works with squirrels told me this:

Begin quote---[[Not sure of the ages, but we give all our squirrels entering our facility a flea bath in Dawn dish washing liquid, submerging them up to their neck in the wash, and then a rinse. This can be a daunting task if they are older and stronger and more wiry. Right after we take them out of the bath we dab the head with a cotton ball whetted with kitten flea spray to kill any that escaped to the head.

For older squirrels, we fill the tub deep enough to where they can't get their feet under them to jump out, put a cup of vinegar in the water, dab their head with flea spray, and let them swim for a few minutes, ( they're good swimmers.) Use a Nit comb on them after the bath to remove dead flea.

For natural control of fleas in carpeting, ( treating the source,) sprinkle the carpet with diatomaceous earth. It is made from the ground up bodies of ancient Diatoms that died thousands of years ago and are mined in ancient sea beds. Microscopically, the powder looks like tiny razor blades, which is the secret to killing fleas. Fleas have an exoskeleton. When they get diatomaceous earth on their exoskeleton, it makes tiny cuts in it, and they start to leak body fluids. They die of dehydration. No chemicals, you just wait a few days and vacuum the powder and dead fleas out of your carpet.

Bill

PS. Make sure your Vacuum has a really good filter, otherwise it creates a cloud of Diatomaceous dust! ]] End quote---

I also wonder if you could eat Brewers Yeast yourself? Fleas are not supposed to like it, and may avoid you if your skin tastes of it. Anyone prone to yeast infections might not want to eat it. I'm not an expert on this, just offering thoughts.

Using diatomaceous earth would help keep ahead of and or prevent if that would give you peace of mind. I think it might be important to get the food grade one, so that it is not toxic to animals; other than the bugs of course.

Thank you for your kind words about my squirrel habitat. I had so much fun creating it. :-)

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Lighten-Up:

Ekorre (08-29-2016), squirrelgirl30 (06-21-2018)