Thread: 1 1/2 month (?) baby squirrel not suckling just got today

Default 1 1/2 month (?) baby squirrel not suckling just got today

Hey guys! About 3 years ago I raised 3 babie sqirrels from pinkies to adults. With help from TSB.... Love you guys! I work at an animal hospital and someone brought a baby squirrel in. Yadda yadda yadda.... She's dehydrated and skinny. I warmed her up and then tried to hydrate her orally with LRS. I defiantly got her to take some but not a lot, probably 1cc. Her eyes are opened it looks like they may have opened a week ago, maybe less. I gave her .25cc dextrose earlier. I'm giving her esbilac but she will not suckle. She also sneezes every once in a while mainly during feedings. I just put a tiny bit into her mouth and then she swallows but she falls asleep while I'm doing it. She isn't dying. She just wants to sleep when I'm feeding her. She will not suckle at all. I'm using a 1cc syringe. I need help lol

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to jessiebeans from:

redwuff (08-20-2016)

Default Re: 1 1/2 month (?) baby squirrel not suckling just got today

Maybe try a different nipple. How warm is the formula? Is should be very warm but not hot. Sometimes it takes a bit for them to figure it out. I've got a pinkie that took 3 days and she still won't suckle consistently through the entire feeding. I'd also check inside her mouth and see if there is anything that doesn't look right? Hopefully others have more ideas.
    Squammy to: Jordyn & Parkyr -Southern Flyers

2016 Babies - Sweet Pea & Chance

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,
    Screech, Fiona, Porgy & Bess

RIP: Itty Bitty, Rascal, Whisper

Passion4Trashin on eBay ~ Click the link below to find great deals!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    or here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Passi...6044929?ref=hl
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    passionfortrashin@gmail.com
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ALittleNutty from:

UDoWhat (08-20-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by jessiebeans View Post
    Hey guys! About 3 years ago I raised 3 babie sqirrels from pinkies to adults. With help from TSB.... Love you guys! I work at an animal hospital and someone brought a baby squirrel in. Yadda yadda yadda.... She's dehydrated and skinny. I warmed her up and then tried to hydrate her orally with LRS. I defiantly got her to take some but not a lot, probably 1cc. Her eyes are opened it looks like they may have opened a week ago, maybe less. I gave her .25cc dextrose earlier. I'm giving her esbilac but she will not suckle. She also sneezes every once in a while mainly during feedings. I just put a tiny bit into her mouth and then she swallows but she falls asleep while I'm doing it. She isn't dying. She just wants to sleep when I'm feeding her. She will not suckle at all. I'm using a 1cc syringe. I need help lol
    What is her weight? What strength is the Esbilac? Warm formula as ALN said.

Often when they have been out and are in rough shape when they come in, and seem depressed, I will put them on Baytril right away. I feel that it has saved the life of a few that would have died if I had not given it. It seems like the stress allows a pneumonia to set up that does not present until hydrated.

Trysh

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

Milo's Mom (08-20-2016)

Something bad is happening. She is very weak all of a sudden and her head keeps turning to the left and bobbing. She looks like she is taking a turn for the worse. How much baytril do I give per gram. I didn't weigh her. I have work in the morning so I will have everything available then. What do we think about SQ fluids?

I'd go ahead and sub-q. Sounds like she is crashing and with these little ones they can go fast. She might not have until morning. I hope others will stop in that have more experience with severe cases.

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,

http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

Why do I do this to myself?!? Ok I'm gonna try SQ I gave her dextrose and more LRS.

Thank you guys! She seems to be doing a little better

Quote Originally Posted by jessiebeans View Post
    Thank you guys! She seems to be doing a little better
    That's great! If you feel she's rehydrated I would try again with the formula. If she's not fully there you could mix the Esbilac at a 3:1 ratio of water to powder just for a few feedings and then move to full strength.