Thread: Curdled Milk Vomit- Warning for other rehabbers

cphilips Guest

Unhappy Curdled Milk Vomit- Warning for other rehabbers

Hi guys,

Professional rehabber with bad situation. I have a 80 and 110 g pair of siblings, I got at 62 and 85 g. They've had only yellow mucous discharge diarrhea since intake. They were also a severe emaciation (both eyes open and very mobile). We've done a smear, confirmed and treated coccidia and roundworm and finished that treatment with no improvement to the diarrhea, also did a week of metronidazole before the smear.

The last few days I tried Proviable probiotics and L-glutamine, since the smaller one wasn't gaining well, in the Esbilac. I've also tried a few days of Saccharomyces

Bring to the now emergency: As a last ditch I was trying to transition from Esbilac to goat's milk Esbilac and, in a moment of hubris, combined the two for my introduction, instead of just slowing intro-ing the goat milk. I made the two formulas and combined the fluids at 3 Esbilac: 1 Goat's Milk Esbilac, then 1 Esbilac:1 Goat's Milk Esbilac.

Now my projects that I love so much are vomiting curdled white yogurt. Big kid still wants to eat and just heaves every so often, little kid is bright if you handle her, but doesn't want to eat or be bothered. I haven't been offering more formula, just flavored Smart water which neither took me up on. They have water and soft Lab Rat Chow available, I Sub Q'd them when things started to go wrong.

SO any thoughts on next step? and also... don't anyone else combine these formulas! It's a bad idea!

Basically I've got some bad guts on my hands. My plan is no action till tomorrow (maybe more Sub Q), unless someone has a miracle belly-calming-get-it-all-on-track idea.

Default Re: Curdled Milk Vomit- Warning for other rehabbers

Poor little bubs...tummy aches stink! Personally, I don't use the Esbilac Goats milk, but that is how I transition from one formula to another. If they are having issues on Esbilac, have you tried Fox Valley 20/50? I would hydrate with homemade pedialyte. I would try homemade hydration fluid. (1 cup warm water, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt.)
    Quote Originally Posted by cphilips View Post
    Hi guys,

Professional rehabber with bad situation. I have a 80 and 110 g pair of siblings, I got at 62 and 85 g. They've had only yellow mucous discharge diarrhea since intake. They were also a severe emaciation (both eyes open and very mobile). We've done a smear, confirmed and treated coccidia and roundworm and finished that treatment with no improvement to the diarrhea, also did a week of metronidazole before the smear.

The last few days I tried Proviable probiotics and L-glutamine, since the smaller one wasn't gaining well, in the Esbilac. I've also tried a few days of Saccharomyces

Bring to the now emergency: As a last ditch I was trying to transition from Esbilac to goat's milk Esbilac and, in a moment of hubris, combined the two for my introduction, instead of just slowing intro-ing the goat milk. I made the two formulas and combined the fluids at 3 Esbilac: 1 Goat's Milk Esbilac, then 1 Esbilac:1 Goat's Milk Esbilac.

Now my projects that I love so much are vomiting curdled white yogurt. Big kid still wants to eat and just heaves every so often, little kid is bright if you handle her, but doesn't want to eat or be bothered. I haven't been offering more formula, just flavored Smart water which neither took me up on. They have water and soft Lab Rat Chow available, I Sub Q'd them when things started to go wrong.

SO any thoughts on next step? and also... don't anyone else combine these formulas! It's a bad idea!

Basically I've got some bad guts on my hands. My plan is no action till tomorrow (maybe more Sub Q), unless someone has a miracle belly-calming-get-it-all-on-track idea.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

island rehabber (08-16-2016)

I never use the goat milk product....... this might be the issue, I would suggest you try the Esbilac with Probiotics only and see how your little ones does. Hugs and Good Luck.

I had a little one come in 2 wks ago that looked great at intake and did all the things new intakes need to have done, hydration and slow start to formula, but when we got to 100 % full strength esbilac, he did the same thing, vomited curdlled milk. Too gross. Thought I had a bad batch of esbilac or allergic and switched to plain goats milk with yogurt and cream formula. He had a huge belly thought it was bloat and days and days of misery, after trying everything in the book, took him to vet. his liver was shutting down due to strong possibility of heat stroke. Vet took 2 ccs of fluid off abdoman and said he needed protein. Would not have thought he would make it but he is Alive and well now.

So what am I offering to you with this posting.

#1. babies have been severely compromised with, ugh!, roundworm and coccidia, both take huge toll in intestinal health. Healing will take time but the intestines are one of the quickest healing body parts we have trying to think what is the most easily digestable food. Do you have any Critical Care by Oxbow (fine grind) just to meet nutrional needs and easily digestable.

I do like the goats milk formula for anybody that is struggling (not GM esbilac) with intestinal issues. I hav eheard that it is very easy to digest and I often start out my pinkies on it. It is 3 parts goat milk, 1 part creme, 1 part yogurt.

Of course you know that with diarrhea, need to hydrate. If I have a compromised baby that does not want to eat, I will put a drop at a time in their mouths to see if they will at least swallow. I will do that as long as they wil work with me. If they just let it run out of the sides of the mouth, then it is prayer time.

Hope you can use something from this.

Trysh

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to redwuff:

Grinderhead (08-17-2016), SammysMom (08-17-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    I had a little one come in 2 wks ago that looked great at intake and did all the things new intakes need to have done, hydration and slow start to formula, but when we got to 100 % full strength esbilac, he did the same thing, vomited curdlled milk. Too gross. Thought I had a bad batch of esbilac or allergic and switched to plain goats milk with yogurt and cream formula. He had a huge belly thought it was bloat and days and days of misery, after trying everything in the book, took him to vet. his liver was shutting down due to strong possibility of heat stroke. Vet took 2 ccs of fluid off abdoman and said he needed protein. Would not have thought he would make it but he is Alive and well now.

So what am I offering to you with this posting.

#1. babies have been severely compromised with, ugh!, roundworm and coccidia, both take huge toll in intestinal health. Healing will take time but the intestines are one of the quickest healing body parts we have trying to think what is the most easily digestable food. Do you have any Critical Care by Oxbow (fine grind) just to meet nutrional needs and easily digestable.

I do like the goats milk formula for anybody that is struggling (not GM esbilac) with intestinal issues. I hav eheard that it is very easy to digest and I often start out my pinkies on it. It is 3 parts goat milk, 1 part creme, 1 part yogurt.

Of course you know that with diarrhea, need to hydrate. If I have a compromised baby that does not want to eat, I will put a drop at a time in their mouths to see if they will at least swallow. I will do that as long as they wil work with me. If they just let it run out of the sides of the mouth, then it is prayer time.

Hope you can use something from this.

Trysh

And by "hydrate" she means with pedialyte or homemade rehydration - they NEED the electrolytes especially with either vomiting or diarrhea.

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Mommaluvy (08-17-2016), redwuff (08-17-2016), stepnstone (08-17-2016)

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo is offline Licensed rehabber specializing in squirrels and bunnies, Ohio

If you are concerned they aren't getting enough calories during the transition time, I often add nutri-cal to the pedialyte or homemade pedialyte. It's gotten many a mouse through their non-digesting stages.
    SQUIRRELS RULE AND BUNNIES TOO!

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to squirrelsrule&bunniestoo from:

Anne (08-17-2016)

cphilips Guest

So glad to have received so many responses!

It's sometimes just nice to know there's a team available! Turns out it may not have been truly life threatening. Both kids are looking okay today. Demanding syringe feedings and just giving dirty looks as they got "only" pedialyte, rather than all out refusal.

So..... I had a start in the night as I considered every possible cause that the formula transition went so poorly. And came to an "oh I hope not" theory that I can't believe didn't occur to me in the moment. That being that my Goat's milk powder was expired. And... it was... it expired in April. It's stored in a freezer but if I'm going to jump to a conclusion, that's a pretty clear target for what went wrong, not the mixing of the two Esbilacs.

So we're back to where we started, maybe a couple steps back since we lost the weight gain and any progress we had so far. Still mucous yellow discharge, still skinny, no more vomiting and eating well.

I got a brand new container, and went ahead with transitioning them slowly onto the Goat's Milk Esbiliac, just to see if sensitivity to the original formula is a factor. We should be on full strength by end of today. I'm still looking for probiotic or other supplement thoughts for tomorrow and moving forward. Should I put L-glutamine back in the mix? Anyone messed with that? Could I offer the Nutrical freely? Anything else good for just calming the gut down (since I'm mostly seeing slough) while the good flora reestablishes? How were you able to increase the protein for the squirrel dealing with the liver issues?

They now also have Emeraid Omnivore available to them and seem to eat a bit. I've also been getting them to eat more of the soft chow by mixing with baby food. So maybe it's just a waiting game until they're on the solid foods. Is there a baby food that may help? Maybe pumpkin? I've not tried pumpkin with a kiddo... only adults.

THANKS GUYS!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.