Thread: Post feed aspiration ?

Default Post feed aspiration ?

TSB. I need your help.

Got a maggot case in 3 days ago. 100 gram. Decent condition of body weight. Not too dehydrated. 2 small wounds on back and neck ( brother was later found next am decapitated )

Got the maggots and eggs treated. Dawn bath, Capstar bath , Capstar oral for 3 days . Seems like shes doing better. Wounds treated.

Fv 20/50 5-7% body weight.

Anyhow.. This am I got done feeding. Was working on pottying. She urinated ans started to poo and I am telling you that at least a full minute maybe two... went by after feeding when suddenly she began to sputter and gag and with that milk started flowing from her nose .

Blue bulb used to pull from nasal cavity.. I thought she was going to die in my hands but pulled out of it.

She is already on baytril for the attack.

Has anyone had post feeding aspiration occur ? Do squirrels vomit? If she makes it through the night I am going to get her to the vet in the am I think..

Any advice.
    Stephanie Carlson

St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/

Default Re: Post feed aspiration ?

I've had squirrels gag and squirt milk from their nose after drinking formula, scares you to death..... I quickly turn down them up side to help release the fluid and hopefully stop it from getting into their lungs.

Sounds like you are already on the right track with her incase pneumonia developes from this episode, so keep a close eye on her and listen for clicking in the chest. Make sure she is on a heating pad set on low while recovering, with lots of fleece to snuggle in.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rhapsody:

Mommaluvy (08-14-2016), UDoWhat (08-14-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Mommaluvy View Post
    Do squirrels vomit?
    Research suggests a squirrels system is not designed to vomit, not that they can't. However, it usually follows with serious consequences.
    I would suggest what you observed was regurgitation. There is a difference.

Regurgitation in GI tract is due to esophageal mobility disorders or relaxed/weakened esophageal sphincters, whereas vomiting is due to triggering of the vomit center in the medulla oblongata.
    Vomiting is preceded by nausea; regurgitation is not.
    There are many receptors that can be stimulated to trigger the vomit center, but regurgitation cannot be stimulated by such receptors.
    Vomiting involves forceful contractions of the abdominal accessory muscles, but regurgitation involves less forceful contractions and does not involve abdominal and accessory muscle contraction.
    Regurgitation occurs in small amounts, whereas vomiting sometimes includes entire bowel contents. This leads to dehydration and ion imbalance in vomiting, but not in regurgitation.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Mommaluvy (08-14-2016), PennyCash (08-15-2016), UDoWhat (08-14-2016)

It may have been regurgitation ...

She kept lunch and snack down fine and seemed stronger than ever. I held her a bit after the feed and potty and gave her scritchies afterward cause I was afraid I would put her back in and it would happen in her container and I might not catch it this time.

I am curious when you mention weakened sphincters. On do the wounds is on the side of her throat and the other at the shoulder base of the skull...
    I have NO idea what attacked her. But what ever it was ate her brothers head .

Wondering if nerve got nicked.
    Stephanie Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by Mommaluvy View Post
    It may have been regurgitation ...

She kept lunch and snack down fine and seemed stronger than ever. I held her a bit after the feed and potty and gave her scritchies afterward cause I was afraid I would put her back in and it would happen in her container and I might not catch it this time.

I am curious when you mention weakened sphincters. On do the wounds is on the side of her throat and the other at the shoulder base of the skull...
    I have NO idea what attacked her. But what ever it was ate her brothers head .

Wondering if nerve got nicked.
    I would suspect that the wound on the side of throat may be causing some swelling (however minor)
    that possibly could be causing interference or unusual pressure on her upper esophageal sphincter.
    "Incompetence" of the UES may be due to (lack of) reflex relaxation that can result in an increased
    esophagopharyngeal reflux. Not saying that is what's happened but you may want to be giving an
    anti inflammatory along with her ab to cover all bases. If a lack of reflex relaxation is due to her injury
    it should improve with her healing.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Mommaluvy (08-14-2016), PennyCash (08-15-2016), UDoWhat (08-14-2016)

Just an update.. Have not seen the problem again. All feeds staying down. She is almost normal.

Thanks all for the squirrel prayers and the ideas and assurances !
    Stephanie Carlson

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mommaluvy from: