Thread: Week old grey squirrel with blisters in mouth/thrush? Won't eat. Help!

Default Week old grey squirrel with blisters in mouth/thrush? Won't eat. Help!

I'm fostering several baby squirrels who were all doing very well up until today. My only male (the smallest) ate fine this morning, then by afternoon I could hardly get him to let me squeeze a few drops in his mouth. I happened to see something white on the corner of his lip, and thought it was milk curd. I tried gently brushing it off with the tip of the syringe, but it was stuck. I opened his mouth and realized that his whole tongue is covered in white blisters - it looks an awful lot like when human babies get thrush. (See pic)

I used a catheter tip to squeeze a little bit of milk into his throat so he didn't have to use his mouth to suckle - it must hurt! But no one I know has ever heard of a squirrel having thrush and I'm not sure what course to take here. Any advice??

Name:  14031157_10153589951496504_114770323_n.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  12.7 KB

Default Re: Week old grey squirrel with blisters in mouth/thrush? Won't eat. Help!

Quote Originally Posted by sundogdayze View Post
    I'm fostering several baby squirrels who were all doing very well up until today. My only male (the smallest) ate fine this morning, then by afternoon I could hardly get him to let me squeeze a few drops in his mouth. I happened to see something white on the corner of his lip, and thought it was milk curd. I tried gently brushing it off with the tip of the syringe, but it was stuck. I opened his mouth and realized that his whole tongue is covered in white blisters - it looks an awful lot like when human babies get thrush. (See pic)

I used a catheter tip to squeeze a little bit of milk into his throat so he didn't have to use his mouth to suckle - it must hurt! But no one I know has ever heard of a squirrel having thrush and I'm not sure what course to take here. Any advice??

Name:  14031157_10153589951496504_114770323_n.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  12.7 KB

Oh no!

We actually have another member on the board with a little one with suspected thrush.
    This poor little baby. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    The treatment for thrush is nystatin. If she rubs her face on the side of the cage could that be enough to get for a microscopic slide for HRT to look under scope? I bet your vet would write a script for it if it is thrush.

Other than that....?

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ghlight=Thrush

Default Re: Week old grey squirrel with blisters in mouth/thrush? Won't eat. Help!

Are we able to use Nystatin on squirrels? I'd give it a shot if I can get my hands on some and it's safe! I did give him some metronidazole, so if it is thrush, hopefully that will help.

He did eat willingly just now, but not as much as he was this morning. Some of the more experienced rescuers in my area have mentioned squirrel pox being bad this year, but I can't find anywhere that says a symptom is a white tongue. I hope it's just thrush.

I have never heard of blisters or white discharge from the mouth in cases of squirrel pox. Thrush is common in all mammals, I believe, so why couldn't a squirrel have it, too. Yes we can use nystatin on squirrels.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Genetian Violet is available at most pharmacies but you have to ask for it behind the counter. It's what my kid's pediatrician had me use when my son got thrush. Just a drop on a cotton swab is all it takes. It will stain clothing and skin for a while.
    Squammy to: Jordyn & Parkyr -Southern Flyers

2016 Babies - Sweet Pea & Chance

Releases: Della & James, Oak, Ash & Maple, Schitzo,Shawty,Cricket,Chandy,Bonnie & Clyde,
    Screech, Fiona, Porgy & Bess

RIP: Itty Bitty, Rascal, Whisper

Passion4Trashin on eBay ~ Click the link below to find great deals!
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/passion4trashin/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&rt=nc&_dmd=2
    or here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Passi...6044929?ref=hl
    If you have any questions or are searching for something please contact me via PM or
    passionfortrashin@gmail.com
    Per the new rule only sellers will be allowed to post in their thread in the "For Sale" Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by sundogdayze View Post
    Are we able to use Nystatin on squirrels? I'd give it a shot if I can get my hands on some and it's safe! I did give him some metronidazole, so if it is thrush, hopefully that will help.
    If you have a vet, call and ask them to give you a script.

I'll see if I can get the local wildlife rescue group's vet to write it up for me. Thank you!!

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to sundogdayze from:

redwuff (08-17-2016)

I had Tyke last year .. Massive antibiotics. I think he got thrush . My vet could not confirm but gave nystatin. Tyke died of infection post surgery. So I never knew.

His did peel off his tongue eventually.
    Stephanie Carlson

St. Melangell Small Mammal Sanctuary
    ODNR Permitted Cat 2 Rehabilatator
    https://www.facebook.com/StMelangellSmallMammal/