Thread: !-2 week old baby - Finger is severly scabbed over and other injuries

Default !-2 week old baby - Finger is severly scabbed over and other injuries

Hello Everyone. Hope you all are doing well. I have a friend here in my city In Calgary, Canada who has recently found a pinky baby (About 1 to 2 weeks) As some of you may remember my story about my Squirrel Trooper Marie and our adventures of becoming a rehabilitator. Anyways, I have past most of my knowledge on to her regarding proper feeding, diet, forumla, and proper caring techniques. I have been in contact with Nancy about our situation and she suggest that we get some more eyes on this pinky's injuries.
    She found this pinky last week on the pavement and the baby was covered in ants. I went to inspect the pinky myself and took a bunch of pictures of my findings. Our main concern is his finger. The skin seems to be completley shredded off. It has developed a pretty big scab all over the finger. The pictures I took last night with the scab still intact. However today, Carolina (New User: Moon Sunset) updated me that she cleaned the finger with warm water. The scab came off and the finger is all red and raw and that the nail also came off with it. She has been putting polysporin on it and keeping it as clean as possible. These updated pictures will be the last two pictures in the set.
    Some other injuries include, a scrape on the arm that seems to be getting better. Also a bent nail on the back left foot. There seems to be a dry skin issue that Nancy has address for us in her last email. I do have some oral anti-biotics that Nancy will be dosing out for us if we need to go the oral anti-biotic route.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Moon Sunset is a new user to this forum and I am putting her in direct contact with Nancy and will be following this post to answer any other questions and gaining more knowledge and feed back. I am also a 10 minute drive away from her and the baby, So I will keep a close eye and provide any physical needs and help that she requires, including supplies and emergency facilities.

Thank you all so much for any help provided.

PS. Trooper-Marie is doing amazing to this day and we miss you all!

Name:  13950842_10157337462550010_55647578_o.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  175.7 KB
    Name:  13950842_10157337463135010_707321984_o.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  131.5 KB
    Name:  13987167_10157337463040010_49247371_o.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  131.7 KB
    Name:  14037407_10157337462560010_967044670_o.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  184.5 KB
    Name:  14045057_10157337463035010_590718681_o.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  147.1 KB
    Updated Today with the scab gone.
    Name:  13553272_10157337402260010_511694376_n.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  22.6 KB
    Name:  14018035_10157337402180010_2060753301_n.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  25.4 KB
    Name:  14030917_10157337402065010_1157851178_n.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  24.3 KB

2. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Silverline:

Daisey007 (08-14-2016), Nancy in New York (08-14-2016), PennyCash (08-15-2016), redwuff (08-14-2016)

Default Re: !-2 week old baby - Finger is severly scabbed over and other injuries

It appears with Nancy's help you have your bases covered.
    The nails a loss but it's possible for the skin/tissue to regenerate
    on that finger. I'd keep it dressed and changed often and definitely
    watch it closely for infection.
    Last edited by stepnstone; 08-14-2016 at 02:44 PM. Reason: sp
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Daisey007 (08-14-2016), redwuff (08-14-2016)

Default Re: !-2 week old baby - Finger is severly scabbed over and other injuries

I think most of the skin injuries have to do with the ants eating away at her skin. Poor little baby!!! The swelling could be from the ant bites. Benedryl could help that but since she is on the mend I might just forego Benedryl. Step is right the nail is probably gone but the finger may heal. If not, it will become necrotic and drop off. Sounds terrible but in the scheme of things no big deal, really. Still releasable with a finger missing. The oral antibiotics are a must. I would do a 7-10 day course of whatever NINY has suggested for you. I can't really tell for sure but is the front arm swollen due to ant bites or could it be broken? Still, I would just watch it. I don't think it needs to be set or wrapped. Especially if it has been a few days. This baby is a luck baby to have been found in time. BTW, I am thinking with those dark chin hairs coming in this is a baby blinkie for sure. Let us know what happens with this precious little one.

6. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to UDoWhat:

Daisey007 (08-14-2016), Nancy in New York (08-14-2016), PennyCash (08-15-2016), redwuff (08-14-2016)

I wrote to Silverline earlier and I'm just waiting on the exact weight and mg of the oral antibiotics in order to dose.
    If he comes on, and I haven't answered it can someone send him the dosing instructions for what he has.
    I believe it's Clavaceptin but I have no mg/strength.
    Thank you.

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Daisey007 (08-14-2016), DarkLies212 (08-14-2016)

I agree with all of the above advise exactly!

Squirrels, and perhaps all wildlife, have extraordinary healing abilities far beyond what people have. They've had to develop such abilities for the survival of the species living in the wild. And sometimes just a small amount of support from us is all it takes to help one of our precious squirrels to made an astonishing recovery!

Case in point, my Chewy was in a fight with another squirrel when I first attempted to release him, and he nearly had his EYEBALL EXTRACTED! Slightly better than 1/2 of his lower eyelid and a bit of his upper cheek was completely missing - thereby exposing way down to the bottom of the eye! The eyeball itself wasn't damaged which was a miracle but there was damage to the upper lid area and across the top of his head. I thought his eyeball would pop out of socket if he jumped or even so much as blinked very hard! Surgery was not an option because there wasn't enough tissue left to pull together (or so I was told), so not much the vet could do but give an antibiotic.

Within a few days his eye healed up including a lot of the damage to the lower lid... but he was still missing his eyelid. A few weeks later, well after the antibiotics, I noticed the space of missing tissue was shrinking! During that time his eye watered a bit but not a lot. As time passed the space of missing tissue continued to shrink... and shrink! Until one day his entire lower lid had 'completely' regenerated! His eye would still tear from time to time but even that diminished over time.

I'm not sure but I'd venture to say that not many people could regenerate their lower eyelid without surgery and lots of specialized care!

Here's one for the squirrels!!!

So, that little finger... could easily do the same!

Thank you all so much for your replies and advice.
    I'm on the move a bit today so I'm unable to do a thorough response at the moment. Moon Sunset will also be watching this thread as will I. I get these notifications directly to my phone so I will be reading everything that comes through. Just a tad hard for me to reply at this very moment.

I took pictures of the Anti-Biotics that I will post below. The baby is roughly 42.7 grams in weight, The exact weight of the baby is in the previous pictures above. Nancy also said that Childrens Ibuprofen can be administered for pain and swelling. If someone can help me dose for both of the meds, and private message me. I will get the private message notifications right to my phone. I will pop by their house asap and dose the meds for them and show them how to administer it properly.

Thank you all so much again! You all are amazing!

Name:  14001784_10157340155635010_576973932_o.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  150.5 KB
    Name:  14001965_10157340155220010_1329975540_o.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  136.3 KB
    Name:  14044963_10157340155405010_365413171_o(1).jpg
Views: 34
Size:  150.4 KB

Dosing sent.

Moon Sunset Guest

Hi Everyone!!! (:

I'm blown away with all the loving support!

Baby Garnet is doing wonderful, his arm is healing quite nicely, its definitely not broken, I'll try to explain it: Its like a beige scab that grows kinda like cauliflower, and when I soak it, it peels off with ease, stringy and clumpy. They Polysporin is working like magic, and just like Daisy007 Said: They have extraordinary healing abilities (:

As for his finger, which is our main concern, I can see his nail is already starting to grow back but his finger is still raw. I'm keeping it clean with warm water and Qtips and then putting Polysporin on it. I bought the infants Motrin Ibuprofen drops! Silverline is coming over tonight to give him the proper dosage (:

Thank you so much for all of your loving advice! It's so comforting to know that there is a community of squirrel lovers out there!

xoxo

Moon Sunset

We are all one <3 (:

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Moon Sunset:

PennyCash (08-15-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Sunset View Post
    Hi Everyone!!! (:

I'm blown away with all the loving support!

Baby Garnet is doing wonderful, his arm is healing quite nicely, its definitely not broken, I'll try to explain it: Its like a beige scab that grows kinda like cauliflower, and when I soak it, it peels off with ease, stringy and clumpy. They Polysporin is working like magic, and just like Daisy007 Said: They have extraordinary healing abilities (:

As for his finger, which is our main concern, I can see his nail is already starting to grow back but his finger is still raw. I'm keeping it clean with warm water and Qtips and then putting Polysporin on it. I bought the infants Motrin Ibuprofen drops! Silverline is coming over tonight to give him the proper dosage (:

Thank you so much for all of your loving advice! It's so comforting to know that there is a community of squirrel lovers out there!

xoxo

Moon Sunset

We are all one <3 (:

I'm so glad you found the board, but REALLY glad you found Silverline.
    You are in excellent hands.
    What is the strength of the infant ibuprophen, is it 50mg/1.25 mL?

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Moon Sunset Guest

I'm so grateful to have found Silverline!

It's 40mg/1 mL

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Sunset View Post
    I'm so grateful to have found Silverline!

It's 40mg/1 mL

Yup, I gave the instructions to Silverline.
    That's the same as 50mg/1.25 ml

Hey everyone. I just messaged Nancy, but would also like to get some more eyes on this finger again. Now that the really big scab is off after cleaning it really well, I was able to closely examine the babies finger again.
    It appears to me that the poor thing has lost half of it's finger. We got the baby on Antibiotics and Ibuprofen now, thanks to Nancy for the help on that
    I have Advised Moon Sunset to keep cleaning the finger, as well as continuing to apply Polysporin. I'm now wondering if we should continue applying the topical, or if this is too much now that the baby is on orals.

Also, I'm now wondering if there is something else that needs to be done upon this new finding, or if the finger will heal over in time.

Thank you all for the wonderful advice and all the help! I look forward to hearing from you all

Here are the recent pictures taken an hour ago.

Name:  13978112_10157346652515010_271348749_o.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  158.0 KB
    Name:  14037531_10157346652220010_991686754_o.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  134.9 KB
    Name:  14045005_10157346652830010_2118058886_o.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  125.6 KB
    Name:  14045139_10157346652605010_592060805_o.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  151.0 KB
    Name:  14045440_10157346652680010_1115734978_o.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  137.7 KB
    Name:  14059914_10157346652145010_476195112_o.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  252.1 KB

I have been dealing with a hand and tail wound on an 18g pinkie this week.
    I think it's fine to use the ointment if you want to but personally, I would let it dry. There is a possibility the finger will drop off or at least a portion of it. As UDoWhat said, it's no big deal. IMO, I think the wound looks good and shows no sign of infection.

The hand wound on the pinkie was deep and I was fearful it would loose most of the hand. There was ZERO option for the wound to get infected. That would guarantee the loss of the hand. The hand was paper thin and the wound was deep and unfortunately it was caused by a cat. I started Clavamox and applied nothing to the wound. I didn't even clean it. The hand was entirely too fragile. The wound scabbed over and now on Day 5 the wound is almost healed. The tail was a different story. It was almost severed but it remained attached. I was hopeful it would dry up and fall off but it didn't. It turned black but remained soft and moist. It was sticky and would stick to the babies skin. By Sunday, I felt the pinkie was getting septic from the tail. I had no choice but to remove that portion of the tail. As dead as it was, it still was feeding toxins back into the baby. I tied off the remaining black portion at the break to completely separate it from the viable tissue. Within 24 hrs, the babies condition turned around. I believe if the tail had remain, the baby would have died.

The reason I said all that was to let you know that it's OK for the wound to dry. If the tissue is dead, nothing you do, ointment or no will save the finger. On my pinkie, the dried scabbed over hand wound healed fine... The moist, sticky gangrenous tail did not heal and almost killed the baby.

Here's the pics of the pinkies wounds.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  702.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  732.1 KB

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Milo's Mom (08-16-2016), Nancy in New York (08-16-2016)

Just keep doing what you're doing... I think it has a good chance of healing up to fool you. I've had a couple of babies lose a finger 'along the way', they compensate and keep going.

There's something that I noticed concerning the differences in how people handle injuries versus how an animal handles them. For instance, a woman can have a hysterectomy and it will take her a few weeks to completely recover from it, whereas a dog can be spayed one day and have to be confined so that she doesn't rip out her stitches from running around playing. And a man can get a vasectomy and be seriously slow moving for few days but a dog can have his testicles completely removed and wake up wanting to play! And an animal can lose a limb, adapt and keep going and even thrive... but a person will need rehab and even physiotherapy to begin the healing process. Animals don't think of what they ONCE HAD, and mourn the loss of it like we tend to do but rather they seem to look at what they have RIGHT NOW and make the best of it. God bless them, we could all learn from that!

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Daisey007 from:

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

I'm not stepping on toes here, but I have to say something...stop using water! Water is doing nothing but damaging the cells of the healing tissue.

You need that bone/finger to dry up and fall off. The best course of action is to simply watch it for infection. In other words, stop messing with it! (just like HRT said she did)

You have meds on board, allow them to do their job....the babies body will do what it does best...heal itself.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Milo's Mom from:

Moon Sunset Guest

Interesting!

Thank you Milo's Mom!