Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charlotte is very sick please help

Default Charlotte is very sick please help

My baby is very sick I took her to the vet 2 days ago and they injected electrolytes and I believe saline in her back and sent me home with antibiotics but there's no signs of her getting any better. It seems to me that she has all the signs of MBD she's extremely lethargic she's not eating very much but she's drinking a lot of water a lot of water please help. Shard it is three years old I've had her since she was a newborn baby I need to know what to do next I don't want to lose her her

Default Re: Charlotte is very sick please help

Quote Originally Posted by Charley View Post
    My baby is very sick I took her to the vet 2 days ago and they injected electrolytes and I believe saline in her back and sent me home with antibiotics but there's no signs of her getting any better. It seems to me that she has all the signs of MBD she's extremely lethargic she's not eating very much but she's drinking a lot of water a lot of water please help. Shard it is three years old I've had her since she was a newborn baby I need to know what to do next I don't want to lose her her
    What were her symptoms that made you take her to a vet.
    Which antibiotics did they give and why?
    What is her diet like?
    Did the vet do blood work?

Charley, of you think Charlotte has Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) you should follow the treatment protocol in the following link.
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-MBD-Treatment

If you give us more information we can tell you if your thoughts are correct.
    We would need Charlotte's diet and her symptoms. The most obvious symptoms of MBD are hind end paralysis and seizures.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

TubeDriver (08-12-2016)

Sending Prayers and Healing Vibes.......

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Charley, of you think Charlotte has Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) you should follow the treatment protocol in the following link.
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-MBD-Treatment

If you give us more information we can tell you if your thoughts are correct.
    We would need Charlotte's diet and her symptoms. The most obvious symptoms of MBD are hind end paralysis and seizures.
    Her diet hasnotbeen the best. I know I give her more nuts and seeds than I should. She is an extremely picky eater. Shes very lethargic breathing doesnt seem normal shes very wobbly when she walks ive been carrying her from point a to point b. She has been drinking an enormous amount of water. I didnt have her blood work done yet because the vet said I was looking at 400 to 500 dollars so he opted to put her on antibiotics first see if she got any better. Today I did order the MBD treatment from Henrys Healthy Pets and Im having it shipped 1 to 2 day. Id like to know what can I do in the meantime until it gets here?? Antibiotics are Enrofloxacin. Anotherconcern Iive had is that her eyes have been red for the past month or so her right more tha. Her left. Its more around the eye than the eye itself.the vet gave me Terramycin ointment but it has done nothing.

Hon, did you click on and read the link?

Tums - regular fruit flavored Tums - are made of calcium carbonate. You can buy them anywhere. Since they are flavored, you often don't even have to force them. She needs to start having many small doses of calcium - via the Tums - per day, equaling about 500mg per day. Get some Tums and come back here and we will help you. Do it fast though - if this IS MBD you need to start treating NOW.

8. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

island rehabber (08-13-2016), Nancy in New York (08-13-2016), SammysMom (08-13-2016), UDoWhat (08-13-2016)

Two quick questions: how are her teeth, especially on the side where her eye is red?
    Does she eat a lot of fruit? Drinking water excessively is a main symptom of diabetes.....try cutting back on all sugar in her diet, which includes fruit, sugar snap peas, corn, etc. (Starch = sugar; once in the body, starches convert to sugar.)
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

PennyCash (08-13-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Hon, did you click on and read the link?

Tums - regular fruit flavored Tums - are made of calcium carbonate. You can buy them anywhere. Since they are flavored, you often don't even have to force them. She needs to start having many small doses of calcium - via the Tums - per day, equaling about 500mg per day. Get some Tums and come back here and we will help you. Do it fast though - if this IS MBD you need to start treating NOW.
    How do I administer the Tums? Its difficult to try and see her teeth below her eye but her teeth in front look amber and normal.
    I also wanted to mention that shes still eating thats a good sign right?

How do I administer the Tums? Its difficult to try and see her teeth below her eye but her teeth in front look amber and normal.
    I also wanted to mention that shes still eating thats a good sign right?
    Please do start right away with the tums as Crittermom as said. It could be life or death if this is MBD. I usually crush one 500-750 mg Tums in about 5-6 ccs of water. To keep the levels of calcium even in the blood I give the mix 5-6 times per day about 1cc at a time. I give a dose through the night. It helps to keep levels of calcium even. Let us know how she is doing. Diet is the most important piece of the puzzle to fix asap.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to UDoWhat:

Nancy in New York (08-13-2016), SammysMom (08-15-2016)

Elemental calcium is the only thing that matters with the tums.
    Leigh wrote this earlier this year.

1000mg Ultra Strength

Ultra Strength TUMSŪ provides fast relief from heartburn with 1,000 mg of calcium carbonate per tablet (equivalent to 400 mg of elemental calcium).

How do I administer the Tums?

From the MBD Protocol to help you:

First try giving pieces of the tums to the squirrel, doing so throughout the day to equal ~500 mgs.
    If that doesn't work, then, crush one Tums or calcium pill and add a little water or fruit juice. Use the syringe, eyedropper, or spoon to force-feed the mixture, a little at a time, until it is all gone. Feed a total of 500 mg of calcium, and spread it out through the day and night to keep his blood calcium levels as steady as possible.

We recommend an initial dose of 500mg calcium. After you give the initial dose, give 100 mg calcium every 4 hours. If symptoms return or do not improve, try dosing more often: every 3 hours. Severe cases may need 50 mg calcium every 2 hours.

Your squirrel's symptoms should improve within a few hours; within 1-3 days your squirrel should be alert, active, and eating, with no seizures or paralysis. You should be giving 500-600 mg calcium per day. Keep track of how many doses you give so you can adjust the dosage if needed.
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 08-13-2016 at 05:37 PM.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

SammysMom (08-15-2016)

How is your baby girl ??? I hope you got some calcium in her

Unhappy Re: Charlotte is very sick please help

I have been giving her Tums since yesterday but I do not see much change. She has not had any seizures that I am aware of. She still has an appetite and drinking plenty of fluids but she is definately not her normal energetic self. Shes wobbly when she walks so I have been helping her get to where she wants to go and she is sleeping alot. Hopefully the Henry Healthy Pets MBD treatment will arrive tomorrow. Dont know what else to do. I dont know what I will do if I loose her.

Oh my god I just the the calcium phosphorous ratio for pumpkin seeds and its 1 27 I had been giving charlotte alot of pumpkin seeds!

Her diet has not been the best. I know I give her more nuts and seeds than I should. She is an extremely picky eater.
    Oh my god I just the the calcium phosphorous ratio for pumpkin seeds and its 1 27 I had been giving charlotte alot of pumpkin seeds!
    We can not stress enough about their diet being the most important thing with captive squirrels.
    All squirrels are picky to an extent, pacifying them by feeding nuts and seeds accomplishes nothing.
    It only adds to their refusal of healthy foods, endangers their health and their lives.
    Getting her to eat a healthy diet is going to be much harder now that she's used to getting nuts and
    seeds but it is absolutely necessary!

I hope you can get your girl turned around with lessons learned.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

20. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

island rehabber (08-15-2016), Nancy in New York (08-15-2016), PennyCash (08-15-2016), SammysMom (08-15-2016)

Thank you I will do my best

Gardentoes11 Guest

Charlotte is fortunate that you've discovered what proper squirrel nutrition is sooner rather than later! Squirrels are picky & stubborn, but they aren't stupid--they won't starve themselves, so as you enact some tough love & present ONLY healthy foods, she may reject them for awhile, but she will eventually get hungry enough to start eating them. Have you gotten the Henry's squirrel blocks yet? Those are the most important part of their diet, so if you can find a variety of those that she likes, you'll be on the right track! Is she willingly taking the Tums?

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Gardentoes11:

Nancy in New York (08-15-2016), PennyCash (08-15-2016)

I finally received charlottes MBD treatment from Henrys Healthy Pets yesterday. I paid 21.99 so that they could ship it 1-2 days and it took 4 days to get here. They did not include any instructions on what I am suppose to do with the protein isolate and the vitamins. Can someone please tell me.
    Thank you

The protein isolate is intended to be used to make a "nutrition shake" if your squirrel is refusing to eat and needs to be forced. Sometimes they feel so bad with MBD that they refuse to eat. If your squirrel will eat - especially the HHB blocks, you don't need to mess with the protein isolate right now. It and the vitamins can be used to actually bake yourself a batch of blocks!

The calcium is the important thing right now. 1/3 teaspoon of the powder - a level measure just like you would if you were baking - is the dose for an entire day. Like the Tums, you don't want to give it all at one time - you want to spread it out all day. It doesn't have much flavor so you can often sprinkle it on things like avocado and they won't notice it. Otherwise, you can mix it with a little fruit juice and give it by syringe. 1/3 teaspoon per day.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    The protein isolate is intended to be used to make a "nutrition shake" if your squirrel is refusing to eat and needs to be forced. Sometimes they feel so bad with MBD that they refuse to eat. If your squirrel will eat - especially the HHB blocks, you don't need to mess with the protein isolate right now. It and the vitamins can be used to actually bake yourself a batch of blocks!

The calcium is the important thing right now. 1/3 teaspoon of the powder - a level measure just like you would if you were baking - is the dose for an entire day. Like the Tums, you don't want to give it all at one time - you want to spread it out all day. It doesn't have much flavor so you can often sprinkle it on things like avocado and they won't notice it. Otherwise, you can mix it with a little fruit juice and give it by syringe. 1/3 teaspoon per day.
    On The Road To Recovery!!
    Charlotte is finally starting to get better yesterday she wanted to play a little and today she's back to her normal self a little terror!!
    I use to say that I wished Charlotte was calm enough to just snuggle and relax. While she was sick with MBD that's all she did was sleep and it was horrible seeing her that way!! I much rather see her energetic and causing chaos. I have not given her a single seed, sweets or nuts. Definitely going to give her a better diet. I am giving her approximately half a tablespoon of peanut butter per day with the calcium carbonate is that okay?9

27. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Charley:

ALittleNutty (08-24-2016), HRT4SQRLS (08-24-2016), Nancy in New York (09-06-2016)

Oh my god I just saw the calcium phosphorous ratio for pumpkin seeds and its 1 27 I had been giving charlotte alot of pumpkin seeds!
    When I read that, knew that you understand the problem. It is one thing to follow blindly the instructions from an online forum but when I saw your post, I knew that you 'get it'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast