Thread: My boy is gone

Default My boy is gone

Digger NEVER misses a meal. Ever. Yesterday and today he has not shown up for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

I'm sickeningly worried.

Anyone know of anything I can do to call him (besides just yelling his name, I've been doing that for about 6 hours). I rescued 3 of them, the two girls are still here...

Do they go try to explore and come back???

Default Re: My boy is gone

This is so tough. We have to let the ones we have loved and raised go out and fulfill their destiny as a squirrel. Our hearts are in our throats until we see them each next time.

How old is Digger and his sisters? Did you release them recently? It is not unusual, especially with the males, for them to wander away. Have heart, they often show up again.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to redwuff from:

UDoWhat (08-07-2016)

We have raised and released 11 squirrels (9 females, 2 males) and so far only one has stayed close. We still see the other squirrels occasionally (around supper time) but only one we named Grace has literally camped out in our yard and we see her 2 or 3 times a day. It seems that as our releases interact with the local wild population they become more....wild! I know it is hard but it is likely your boy has decided to explore the area and you may not see him for a while. He is just out being a squirrel! My guess is he'll show up when you least expect it. I have learned to always carry some wild bites or pecans in my pocket when I am working on our property because you never know who will show up for a treat and a visit. Good luck and I hope you see him soon!! (here are some links describing how a couple of our releases went...including our first one)

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e!!&highlight=

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...es!&highlight=

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to pjjere:

redwuff (08-07-2016), UDoWhat (08-07-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Kateshreve View Post
    Digger NEVER misses a meal. Ever. Yesterday and today he has not shown up for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

I'm sickeningly worried.

Anyone know of anything I can do to call him (besides just yelling his name, I've been doing that for about 6 hours). I rescued 3 of them, the two girls are still here...

Do they go try to explore and come back???
    I'm sorry that Digger has worried you but I do want you to know that this is a VERY common situation. I remember the first time that one of my friends disappeared I was just sick. A week later I saw her returning along the top of the fence like she had never been gone. Since that time I have had this happen many times. She is still out there but never comes home now. I know where she lives so when I see her it's because I go to her place to visit.

You could try banging two nuts together. If they are familiar with that sound it might being him running home... but not necessarily. He might just ignore you. They are a lot like cats in that respect.

7. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Bravo (08-08-2016), island rehabber (08-07-2016), lennysmom (08-07-2016), Mel1959 (08-07-2016), redwuff (08-07-2016), UDoWhat (08-07-2016)

I also had a similar experience with my first release who never missed a meal for months after release - he would always be waiting on me. Then one day, he didn't come and I was worried sick. As the days went by I was sure something had happened to him. But about a week and a half later, he showed back up and acted like nothing had ever happened! That was nearly two years ago - in fact, it was about this time of year as a matter of fact. I'm pretty sure it was mating season and that had a lot to do with it. Since then, he comes to visit on most days, but a few times a year now he will dissapear for several days at a time, most likely chasing the girlies.
    I hope little Digger will show up soon to put your worried mind at ease.
    Oh, and welcome to TSB by the way! Glad you found us.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to lennysmom:

island rehabber (08-07-2016), Kateshreve (08-07-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by redwuff View Post
    This is so tough. We have to let the ones we have loved and raised go out and fulfill their destiny as a squirrel. Our hearts are in our throats until we see them each next time.

How old is Digger and his sisters? Did you release them recently? It is not unusual, especially with the males, for them to wander away. Have heart, they often show up again.

I have had them for 5 months. They were 3 weeks old when I got them. We have been together literally every day since I got them. They were released about 2 months ago after plenty of practice building nests and hiding foods, running, jumping and playing....

Every day, they all show up for breakfast, lunch, and supper...never missing a meal. This is why I'm so worried about him. I read that it could be normal, I guess I needed some reassurance from people with more experience. (thank you) I have called and called and called desperately. Unfortunately, I can't help but sob and think the worst... He was up later than usual Friday night, and it makes me nervous. I keep praying and praying you're right. Thank you for your kind words, I sure hope you're right.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Kateshreve from:

redwuff (08-07-2016)

I have yet to figure out how to reply to each person's comments, but know that I do thank you for your kind words. I'm hoping and praying you all are correct, he's my baby. I love the girls too, with all my heart, but Digger was my momma's boy. I'm just at a loss right now, I don't even know what to do other than walk around calling his name for hours... I just wanted some reassurance that he will come home.

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Kateshreve:

redwuff (08-07-2016)

We totally understand Kate. We really do. Stay positive and hopeful.
    To them it's no big deal, to us it's the end of the world.

Give him a few days or even a week. I bet you'll be right back here rejoicing over your little prodigal returning home.

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

lennysmom (08-07-2016), redwuff (08-07-2016)

Gardentoes11 Guest

Aww, Kate! My heart goes out to you! Consider yourself hugged by this fellow squirrel-lover. I've released 3 boys this summer, the most recent just 2 weeks ago, and we saw one (Simon, released in early-June) a few times, the other 2 who were the recent releases only stuck around a couple of days before disappearing into the trees. Of course I worry & hope they didn't become hawk lunch or a coyote snack, but there's great tree cover where they are, and chances are good that they're just finding territory of their own & females to flirt with. It was glorious watching them explore the trees for the first time, & to dig in the dirt & feel the grass under their sharp-nailed little feet! I wish I lived where they were released--they went free at my parents' house, which is surrounded by trees & has lots of space for a release cage--but it may be better that I don't, so I don't have the expectation of seeing them every day, or not. Regardless, I feel for you and do understand. Hopefully your baby will come visit & let you know he's OK, sooner rather than later. But just because he doesn't check in doesn't mean that the worst has happened! He's doing what he was designed to do, and he's free, as he should be. I guess "free" includes the freedom to choose to venture elsewhere..... Sigh..... Hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by Gardentoes11 View Post
    Aww, Kate! My heart goes out to you! Consider yourself hugged by this fellow squirrel-lover. I've released 3 boys this summer, the most recent just 2 weeks ago, and we saw one (Simon, released in early-June) a few times, the other 2 who were the recent releases only stuck around a couple of days before disappearing into the trees. Of course I worry & hope they didn't become hawk lunch or a coyote snack, but there's great tree cover where they are, and chances are good that they're just finding territory of their own & females to flirt with. It was glorious watching them explore the trees for the first time, & to dig in the dirt & feel the grass under their sharp-nailed little feet! I wish I lived where they were released--they went free at my parents' house, which is surrounded by trees & has lots of space for a release cage--but it may be better that I don't, so I don't have the expectation of seeing them every day, or not. Regardless, I feel for you and do understand. Hopefully your baby will come visit & let you know he's OK, sooner rather than later. But just because he doesn't check in doesn't mean that the worst has happened! He's doing what he was designed to do, and he's free, as he should be. I guess "free" includes the freedom to choose to venture elsewhere..... Sigh..... Hang in there!

I do love where our house is located. Our driveway is 720' long, so they don't usually venture down to the road (praise God!), Our home is surrounded by trees so that gives the babies excellent tree cover, two ponds, and lots of yard to play in... it has been the most amazing thing of my life taking care of these sweet babies! I get very attached to animals, I don't know how you all have raised and released so many. I honestly think letting them go was the hardest thing I've ever done and ripped my heart out. It churns my stomach knowing I can't control what Digger is going through right now (my girls too, but especially him). You guys are amazing, wonderful people, thank you so much for your kindness and wisdom!

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Kateshreve:

PennyCash (08-08-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I'm sorry that Digger has worried you but I do want you to know that this is a VERY common situation. I remember the first time that one of my friends disappeared I was just sick. A week later I saw her returning along the top of the fence like she had never been gone. Since that time I have had this happen many times. She is still out there but never comes home now. I know where she lives so when I see her it's because I go to her place to visit.

You could try banging two nuts together. If they are familiar with that sound it might being him running home... but not necessarily. He might just ignore you. They are a lot like cats in that respect.

I still call, I still search and they haven't come home yet. I just keep hoping and praying I'll see them all running along the fence to come home. I'm still hoping.....

Remember that when they go out into the world and are normal wild squirrels, you did a good job! No dead squirrel in hand is a live squirrel who is simply being a wild squirrel. It sucks for us, but it is amazing for them!
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SammysMom:

Daisey007 (10-22-2016), Spanky (10-18-2016)

I'm sorry you are so worried. We ALL KNOW exactly how you feel right now.

My Chewy left or got lost the first day that I released him! I lost sight of him and he had been RIGHT THERE!!! I searched everywhere. After several days I decided that I might need to start looking for his 'remains'. Since the area was so wooded I purchased a pair of snake boots and packed myself lunch and some snacks for the squirrels and went out searching. I spent a lot of time searching the tree tops with my binoculars to no avail. Hours later and with a heavy heart I returned home not knowing anymore than I had before I left. I cried a river trying to accept my loss. The next morning I went out to feed Daisey, she was positioned high up on a limb and she suddenly moved to one side and CHEWY popped out from behind her!!! So, hang in there... there's still hope.

Sending prayers your way!