Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Indiana URGENT help needed Squirrel With Cleft Palate

Default Re: Squirrel With Cleft Palate

Not sure how hard he will be able to bite with those teeth?

You definitely are going to want heavy leather gloves. I use a hand fishing net and then wrap the squirrel up in a big fleece and/or old tee shirt. You want to burrito the body and it is always good to cover the head and eyes (they calm diwn more when they cant see).

Grabbing the nape of the neck will not immobilize them but will allow the squirrel to twist around to bite you. You can sometime get your index and thumb around the back of their neck and under their jaw, you need to be firm but not squeeze too hard.

Two pairs of hands DEFINITELY make this task easier. If you have a brave friend who can help, then one person can hold the squirrels body while the other person does the inspection and trim.

I can send you directions on how to trim teeth. It only takes about 30 seconds. It may allow the mouth and teeth alignment to reset. Generally, squirrels teeth will overgrow in about a month if the alignment is off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmer4444 View Post
    I do not want to watch this little guy starve to death. I'll continue to watch him tomorrow to get an exact idea of where he lives and attempt to trap him.

IF I can get him into a trap, any suggestions on how to reach into a trap & grab out the squirrel and get him into a towel without getting my eyes clawed out? I assume you start with some heavy gloves but I'm lost from there. Can you grab them by the nape of the neck like a cat to immobilize them?

Can I give him something in his food to safely make him groggy?

One more thing, if he has a jaw alignment problem, is trimming his teeth going to be something that will have to be done for the rest of his life? Approximately how long does it take for the teeth to get too long between trimming?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Kimmer4444 (08-01-2016), Shewhosweptforest (08-02-2016)

Hi Kim,

Thank you so much for trying to help this little guy! Has anyone tried to find a licensed rehabber in your area? Perhaps you can trap this little one that needs help and hand it off to a rehabber in your area. That's one thing these wonderful people are really good at doing - finding help!

It takes a good bit of experience with squirrels to trim teeth properly without either you or the squirrel being injured. Also, there could something else going on that you may not see, or not prepared to deal with. So, all in all, an experienced rehabber would sure be a blessing right now.

Let's see if someone comes on that can find someone in your area...

Pam

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Daisey007:

Kimmer4444 (08-02-2016), Mel1959 (08-02-2016), Shewhosweptforest (08-02-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Daisey007 View Post
    Hi Kim,
    Thank you so much for trying to help this little guy! Has anyone tried to find a licensed rehabber in your area? Perhaps you can trap this little one that needs help and hand it off to a rehabber in your area. That's one thing these wonderful people are really good at doing - finding help!

It takes a good bit of experience with squirrels to trim teeth properly without either you or the squirrel being injured. Also, there could something else going on that you may not see, or not prepared to deal with. So, all in all, an experienced rehabber would sure be a blessing right now.
    Let's see if someone comes on that can find someone in your area...
    Pam
    Man those pictures!!...
    He's in serious trouble, his teeth are really dangerously jacked up! I agree with the above.
    They would be hard enough for someone experienced, I can't imagine going at them never having cut teeth.
    I encourage you to try and trap him, first step. Try not think too far ahead, if possible a rehabber or a wildlife
    facility can be found.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Kimmer4444 (08-02-2016), Shewhosweptforest (08-02-2016)

Reach out to these two members via pm. They are both licensed rehabbers
    in Indiana. Hopefully they can guide you to a safe vet that can help you.
    This little one needs professional help fast.
    Thank you for helping him.

skwerl mama
    ilvanimals

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

Kimmer4444 (08-02-2016), Mel1959 (08-02-2016), Shewhosweptforest (08-02-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Reach out to these two members via pm. They are both licensed rehabbers
    in Indiana. Hopefully they can guide you to a safe vet that can help you.
    This little one needs professional help fast.
    Thank you for helping him.

skwerl mama
    ilvanimals
    Thanks! I've sent PM's to both hoping they can help. I have to admit I wasn't feeling good about trying to trim his teeth myself. He's probably also in pain and I didn't want to aggravate him more.

I really hope someone can help him soon. His time is running out.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Kimmer4444 from:

Shewhosweptforest (08-02-2016)

Thanks! I've sent PM's to both hoping they can help. I have to admit I wasn't feeling good about trying to trim his teeth myself. He's probably also in pain and I didn't want to aggravate him more.

I really hope someone can help him soon. His time is running out.
    I hope that something works out soon.
    I typically don't like posting a list, since we never
    know who is good.
    BUT I wonder if you call some of the places listed
    if they could guide you to a safe vet.

http://wildlife.rescueshelter.com/Indiana

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Daisey007 (08-02-2016)

Yes....he's definitely short on time...those teeth will grow right into the roof of his mouth a long and painful death....a squirrel we have had her teeth like this...she had a cyst on her cheek that swelled up and caused her teeth to misalign .....then when the cyst burst...the teeth were already too long...it took a few months of trimming to get her jaw and teeth to realign.....and she's great now I do think he will need a rehabber who can keep him to make sure they realign on the first try and if not they can continue to trim until they do

Oh and thank you, thank you for watching out and caring for your little neighbors
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Shewhosweptforest:

Daisey007 (08-02-2016), Mel1959 (08-02-2016), Nancy in New York (08-02-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    I hope that something works out soon.
    I typically don't like posting a list, since we never
    know who is good.
    BUT I wonder if you call some of the places listed
    if they could guide you to a safe vet.

http://wildlife.rescueshelter.com/Indiana
    Thanks Nancy. There were only a few rehabbers available for Indy. One has moved, one has disconnected phone, & one only helps turtles. Still trying and waiting on one to call me back. My little guy is here right now eating. Getting ready to follow him home.

16. 7 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Kimmer4444:

Daisey007 (08-02-2016), Lighten-Up (08-02-2016), Mel1959 (08-02-2016), Nancy in New York (08-02-2016), PennyCash (08-03-2016), Shewhosweptforest (08-02-2016), TubeDriver (08-02-2016)

Default Re: Squirrel With Cleft Palate INDIANA HELP NEEDED

Thanks Nancy. There were only a few rehabbers available for Indy. One has moved, one has disconnected phone, & one only helps turtles. Still trying and waiting on one to call me back. My little guy is here right now eating. Getting ready to follow him home.
    Here's an update: I have had no luck so far in getting help with either someone to attempt to trap him or in getting a rehab person to take custody of him once he is trapped to help him.

Believe it or not, 3 of our local rehabbers are in the process of moving, at least one out of state, & can't help. The people & numbers they passed along to me are either disconnected, animal specific, or not returning my calls.

I've spent no less than 3 hours today running down people and waiting for calls. Is there a way to turn this thread into an emergency thread to reach out for a state wide request for help. If I can trap him myself I'm willing to drive him anywhere in the state to get him help. I didn't realize that licensed rehabbers are not allowed to trap animals according to one person I spoke with. Is that truly the case?

What about LindaR in Fort Wayne Indiana?
    She hasn't been on in a while but she did have a vet.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Nancy in New York (08-02-2016)

Default Re: Indiana URGENT help needed Squirrel With Cleft Palate

I just renamed your thread and moved it to the emergency section.

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    What about LindaR in Fort Wayne Indiana?
    She hasn't been on in a while but she did have a vet.
    Thanks. I'm sending her a PM now.

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Default Re: Squirrel With Cleft Palate INDIANA HELP NEEDED

Here's an update: I have had no luck so far in getting help with either someone to attempt to trap him or in getting a rehab person to take custody of him once he is trapped to help him.

Believe it or not, 3 of our local rehabbers are in the process of moving, at least one out of state, & can't help. The people & numbers they passed along to me are either disconnected, animal specific, or not returning my calls.

I've spent no less than 3 hours today running down people and waiting for calls. Is there a way to turn this thread into an emergency thread to reach out for a state wide request for help. If I can trap him myself I'm willing to drive him anywhere in the state to get him help. I didn't realize that licensed rehabbers are not allowed to trap animals according to one person I spoke with. Is that truly the case?
    This depends on the rules of each state. But I know for a fact it IS indeed an accurate statement for my state. We are NOT permitted to trap, assist in the act of trapping, or even perform an exclusion. So, if a rehabber told you that, it may also be accurate for your state.

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Milo's Mom from:

Kimmer4444 (08-02-2016)

Kim -

Not sure how far from the nearest state you are located but.... try running a search for wildlife rehabbers in the next closest state.

Yeah, yeah... I know the rules but squirrels cross state lines all the time. Besides, it doesn't have to be a permanent move... the most important thing is getting help for this little guy who has no one but us to help him.

"Rules are somebody's idea of what must be done by everybody... who is somebody?"

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Daisey007 from:

Mel1959 (08-04-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Daisey007 View Post
    Kim -

Not sure how far from the nearest state you are located but.... try running a search for wildlife rehabbers in the next closest state.

Yeah, yeah... I know the rules but squirrels cross state lines all the time. Besides, it doesn't have to be a permanent move... the most important thing is getting help for this little guy who has no one but us to help him.
    UPDATE for our squirrel. I was able to locate a vet in the city that is able & willing to take a look at him. ( She's had a death in be family & wont be back in the office until Wednesday). I also found a licensed wildlife rehabilitator north of Indy who has agreed to take him once he leaves the vet. All of this is great news.

Now, the not so great news. The rehabber looked at the photos & in her opinion he has a fractured jaw that causes his problem & if that's the case, it can't be repaired. There's also the problem of him not showing up to eat for the past 3 days (unless I've missed him but the other squirrels would have chased him off ).

I want to thank all of you so much for what you do and the big hearts that you all have for nature's animals.

I have secured a trap & am waiting on the opportunity to trap him. I wanted to wait until as close to Wednesday as possible so as not to stress him out in a cage that long. I'll update you all regardless of the outcome.

Thanks again. Kim

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Kimmer4444 from:

Mel1959 (08-07-2016)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12