Thread: Could this be heatstroke?

Default Could this be heatstroke?

Buster arrived early this morning. He's about 4 weeks old. The man who brought him to me said he saw him yesterday and when mama didn't claim him about dusk he brought him in. Ordenarily, I'd have no problem with that but it was 100 degrees yesterday. He'd had no fluids until I got him this morning. Little guy has been hydrated all day every couple of hours. He's been in with the guys but doesn't squirm around like a normal baby squirrel. He's a dishrag. He drinks but is absolutely limp. Could he have suffered a heatstroke and if so, what can I do to help her m other than hydration and AC?

Default Re: Could this be heatstroke?

Oh that poor little bub...
    I would think it could be heat exhaustion. Maybe he would be better alone for a little while? I hate for them to be alone too though. Is he getting formula too? Maybe he is starved?
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

I've added a little formula to the homemade Pedialyte. He was so dehydrated his skin was stuck to him. I think he's feeling a little better. I've been holding him a lot and he's moved a bit. Nothing seems "wrong"--no bumps, bruises, or obvious owies. This evening he did have some runny poop but I've been giving him fluids every couple of hours so maybe it's going through. Should I give him less dilute formula? This baby's system has been through the ringer.

IF he is hydrated you can offer formula, but don't if you aren't sure he is hydrated. Never mix pedialyte with formula. They can both be given, but separately. He probably just needs time and fluids to get him over the hump.

Thanks Gayle. Poor little guy must be exhausted. I'll give an update tomorrow. At least he's in a safe place, not dying of thirst and not baking.

Hi Pat

Worrying bout your little man. Can't imagine how hot and dehydrated he was till he got to angel Pat

Now we have to see if there was any damage done to his organ systems from that intense heat and lack of fluids. How is he this morning?

. How is that little one?

Just checking in...Buster

Not sure if you saw this, but this is all I know, http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...heat-in-Summer!

Quote:
    Emergency Cool-Down Procedures

You must get the squirrel cooled down quickly. Seconds count!

1. Bring the squirrel inside.
    2. Dip the squirrel in cool water up to his neck.
    3. Lay the squirrel down on a damp cloth with his head slightly elevated and turn on a fan.
    4. Bathe the squirrel with a cold wet cloth, especially the head and tail areas. Ice packs can be placed around the squirrel (not on him or under him).
    5. Offer a small amount of cool water to drink.
    Note: Keep the squirrel as quiet and still as possible; exercise will cause him to become more overheated.

For mild cases, the above treatment may be enough. For moderate/severe cases, vet care is required to save the squirrel's life. If you don't have a vet, have someone else call around while you continue the cool-down process.

6. Don't stop the cool-down process, even for a minute.
    7. If it's a warm day, run the AC in your car before you transport.
    8. Transport the squirrel quickly to the vet, continuing to bathe the squirrel with a cool washcloth while en route (bring some cold water with you).
    9. When you get to the vet, tell them it's severe heatstroke. They should rush the squirrel to the back for emergency care immediately.
    10. No matter what happens, keep bathing the squirrel in cool water until the squirrel in the vet's hands.

If heatstroke occurs away from home or while traveling. Use the same procedures as above. Use anything you can find to cool the squirrel down. In a pinch, a cold soda or even water from a nearby stream can be used until you can find help.

If you have no access to a vet, try to find a rehabber. If you're on your own, you will need to monitor the squirrel constantly, including his body temperature. Take the squirrel's temperature using a rectal thermometer or a digital ear thermometer. When his temp reaches 103 degrees F, you must stop the cool-down procedures to avoid overcooling. Continue to offer cool water drop by drop.

Most squirrels will not survive moderate/severe heatstroke without IV fluids, which only a vet can provide.

Note: Signs of permanent organ damage may not show up for several hours or even days. The squirrel may seem to recover initially, then get worse later.

A squirrel can develop heatstroke in as little as 10 minutes, even in the shade!

Pat

Don't leave us hanging...how is Buster? Been praying for the little dude.

Just sent Pat a PM letting her know we are all worrying...I know she is up to her neck in critters so it may take a little while. We all know how THAT goes...

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

redwuff (07-27-2016)