Thread: Baby has beginning of diarrea

Khuck Guest

Default Baby has beginning of diarrea

Please help stools have turned yellow. Just switched to ebsilac powder instead of canned. Do i stop and do the pedialyte again for a couple feedings?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Milo's Mom is offline Permitted Pennsylvania Wildlife Rehabilitator

Default Re: Baby has beginning of diarrea

Yellow stool is not diarrhea, it's formula poop. Is the poop hard - firm consistency, soft - squishy and plops into a different shape when dropped onto something or liquid?

Top-quality custom cage gear, accessories, blankets, & toys.
    Boutique items are fun, unique, and anything but ordinary.

TSB thread: Auntie MM's Custom Boutique Website: https://auntiemmscb.square.site/ Facebook: Auntie MM's Facebook Page

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Milo's Mom:

Spanky (07-21-2016)

Khuck Guest

Soft and squishy

How many feedings of the canned / premixed Esbilac did you give before the change in poos?

Do you have a scale to weigh them; it is important, especially when they are very little, to know their weigh to not over or under feed them.

So know that their poos will go from dark (mommy milk) to a mustard yellow, but you do not want diarrhea which the pre-mix liquid can cause. The transition from mom's milk to a formula can be difficult for them and in this case an additional switch from pre-mixed Esbilac to the powdered version.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Khuck Guest

Almost 3 days on canned waiting for powdered. Small iowa town hours from any major town

That seems to happen whenever you change formula. And from my experience it usually clears up on it's own if you just stay with the one formula after you make that change. Don't go back and forth between formula, just pick one and stick with it. If it doesn't clear up or gets worse then I treat it.

Kindest regards,
    Pam

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Daisey007 from:

Khuck Guest

It is more solid this morning. Thank you all for the help! I am sure i will have a million more questions

Quote Originally Posted by Khuck View Post
    It is more solid this morning. Thank you all for the help! I am sure i will have a million more questions
    Great update!

Ask all the questions you have.... here are some of the more important issues:

1) Their feeding is based upon their weight as reviewed in the baby care link posted earlier in this thread. Overfeeding and underfeeding can both be dangerous.

2) Pottying them not only keeps their environment cleaner but allows you to ensure things are "moving". And it is a must at least until their eyes open.

3) We love pictures!

Just thought I'd provide my favorite website that I found very helpful and provides some instruction on this as well, http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Squirrel-Care Use the link in the 1st post, and then the next button in the upper right corner on the website.

I think that pedialyte is suppose to be stopped after 24 or 48 hours. Can someone confirm this?

I hope you will continue to ask us about anything that isn't clear, or if you need information rapidly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky1 View Post
    I think that pedialyte is suppose to be stopped after 24 or 48 hours. Can someone confirm this?

Just so we are are all on the same page, the question was asked if the formula feeding should be stopped and pedialyte given for a few feedings. Seems to poo was simply evolving from the brown mommy poo to yellow ("golden") Esbilac poo. Daisy suggested Khuck stick with the formula.

To clarify the pedialyte qx: Yes, it should be stopped after 24 hours and if additional hydration is required, give plain water or even sweetened water (but no salts) in between feedings.

Edit: PS Thank you Rocky for posting the baby squirrel care link. I think I posted it in another of Khuck's threads and wrongly referenced that it had been previously posted in this thread. It may help to merge the threads; that always helps me versus multiple threads for same baby / issues....

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.