Thread: Mr. Wink's dying.. teeth and infection unknown killing OUR success story is dying.

Default Mr. Wink's dying.. teeth and infection unknown killing OUR success story is dying.

Dear My Winks..the 1/2 blind bobbed tail alpha mail we …(all of….TSB/great rehabber freinds and a lil help from heaven and my partner), all cured Winky from Sarcoptic mange from Ja-April somehow his ‘livable’ occlusion became way out of control..from yet another sicced dog or kick in the face.. he probably did not see coming. At the time it was so bad many experienced thought it was pox..thank goodness it was not.. however all those months so sick made him succeptable to some of his preexisting injuries at risk. His ALMOST unusable malocclusion he had figured out a way to keep just trimmed enough..but repeated dog and human attacks were always a worry. Not eating due to the weakness and giving up when the mange was at deaths door may have played a part but his teeth seemed FNE the past 2 months
    We only noticed 5 days ago and due to a loud each thumping festival in the adjacent Boston Common he was MIA from the stoned and drunk, panhandling and in every way frightening to these guys used people..(don’t get me wrong..I care less how people poison themselves..but when they harass the wildlife I DO get furious), but the squirrels, ducks, others don’t scare easily enough to stay away..hoping they will get food. Winks hates most people but can’t see of hear them.

We did not see him for 2 days and he was scared off 1/2 way through feeding Fri. I say him today.. emaciated…bone thin..caot still lovely..(not mange) his bottom incisor looks like the illustration of BAD occlusion we already know he worked around…or a saber toothed animal.

He pushes balls I make with al healthy mix as I can manage and he is totally comforted by me…like when he was almost dead from mange. Even If I can give him a few months if I can get help clipping those THICK overgrown incisors I don’t have the right wire cutters…trust me nail clippers WILNT WORK but I need HELP!!!

If I can get him an apt with the vet 5 hour away where Gwen is rehabbing her broken leg & head injury is unknown, but I STILL need to get him on antibiotics for the eye goo. Do you all remember he is BILIND since a baby maybe 5 years in his right eye..the left has oozing crust and knowing eyes, ears, nose and throat are interrelated ….The first attack probably was responsible for his clouded right eye, hearing loss, cauliflower ears,..and the first of 4 tail bobs that ended in a horrid bunny bob that bled for 5 weeks before finally stopping. Knowing about his off center teeth..how whenever any issue was at hand, his occlusion got worse...this was inevitable. Like most animals he wanted as digestible and fast nutrients as possible. Even if a paw would bother him, his teeth would outgrow. No animal WANTS to eat when in pain. That does not make him docile though. He allows me to keep him near... and if he walks away due to fear of a stranger like today..I call WINKY...and he turns and looks up with the most loving HELP ME face.
    I assume his overgrown tooth and this horrid situation are creating an emaciated doing Winky with an eye..possible jaw infection. I have some SMZ-TMP, Keflex 500 mg, Amox-Clav 875 mg…a few tabs of the above.

I want to see if the Wonderful vet that has Gwen in lg cage to work out her broken leg and determine if her head injury makes her releasable will help me at the least clip him down to eat until his time.. He can push nutrition based blasts into his mouth but can no even eat a shelled walnut.

He trusts me as he does like no other when he is fading. Allows me to put him in my hand. I am NO expert on clipping and if well Wink is as wild as they come. I would need help, experience or Protect/coddle him…but will bolt unless I am swift and ready with wrapping and cage. My vet is many hours away and I USUALLY can lure him out Winks will die without intervention within the next day or 2 7 pm..thats out time so I might have him over night then a long drive if can be accomplished unless someone near Boston is willing to help me clip this and release him out for his final days. Hi surely has an infection though and need to get him on something I can get into a boo (my version). If I can capture him... let him stay in Gwens cage...Anyone near Boston Willing to clip..NOT dremmel his tooth or advise on any antibiotics I have for now.
    BostonSquirrelyGirl

Going to try and get a pic of the last images from his last sightings...tonight...and before that Fri will post soon

2. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SquirrelSense:

Rocky1 (07-20-2016), Sara in NW MS (07-19-2016)

Default Re: Mr. Wink's dying.. teeth and infection unknown killing OUR success story is dying

I do think that a trip to the vet is in order if you are not able to clip the tooth yourself. I pray he can be helped.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

Default Re: Mr. Wink's dying.. teeth and infection unknown killing OUR success story is dying

Hope you will be able to get him to the vet. I will keep Mr. Wink in my prayers and send lots of good thoughts his way.

Mr. Wink

If you can beg, borrow or steal a second pair of hands, a teeth trimming is not difficult and only takes about 30 seconds. But two pairs of hands make the job a LOT easier than a single pair.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

I've begged... All the rehabbers are saying they will loose their license

Praying for Mr. Wink. Hope you are able to find help for him.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

Very nervous. Need to get Winks 1st try if I can get him tonight. The vet said I'll get Gwens full update tomorrow. I'm a nervous sleep deprived wreck but I must be steady for Winky to successfully capture him without either of us hurt, and as I said..first try, as he will be utterly suspicious after that and stay away. I'm his comforting mommy. It will be odd if I can get him.. At home to smell Gwen all over the cage. Lord I miss her

Quote Originally Posted by lennysmom View Post
    Praying for Mr. Wink. Hope you are able to find help for him.

If you can get him, I can try to walk you through a trim if you want to try that? It would require a complete burritoing but the actual trim is fairly straight forward. Two hands are definitely better (one to hold and one to trim) but in an emergency it can be done with one pair of hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonsquirrelygirl View Post
    Very nervous. Need to get Winks 1st try if I can get him tonight. The vet said I'll get Gwens full update tomorrow. I'm a nervous sleep deprived wreck but I must be steady for Winky to successfully capture him without either of us hurt, and as I said..first try, as he will be utterly suspicious after that and stay away. I'm his comforting mommy. It will be odd if I can get him.. At home to smell Gwen all over the cage. Lord I miss her

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

lennysmom (07-20-2016)

RIP to the king.....Mr. Winks rules the parks across the Rainbow bridge. Our Dearest Mr. Winks spent the night with us after his capture Wed night. Our beloved vet who loves all creatures showed us how astoundingly long his teeth, infection and so much more his recent injury had caused in an infected, bleeding punctures there was no way to see and I must spare you from heartbreaking extensiveness and gruesome details of. She discovered an apparent new injury in the past few weeks that took what was livable to a deadly injury. The worst scenario of severe malocclusion had began to take dear Mr.Winks in the most painful way there was no coming back from. He was suffering badly.
    We must remember his strength and beauty …endurance and love with every battle wound he became more heroic, through every battle he fought another war was won for his clan. He was loved and respected by those who heard his astounding presence and gentle fathering/co-parenting an Eastern Gray male rarely exhibits.
    Gentleness with those who adored him until his last moments, healthy respect to stay away from most humans. Smarter, braver, stronger and more commanding than those 1/2 his age and 2x his size. He was a hero...the park king and champion.
    We are devastated, but he is with Ol Gray, Buster, Agnus and his harem of thousands of wives and kids…the ‘Bad Ass’ of squirrels..toughest, strongest, gentlest no nonsense being of the wild..The amazing Mr. Winks is now a legend in all the universe. R.I.P my darling. There will never be another like you.

I am mourning but will post some wonderful memories I have filmed over the years in a bit. Thank you for all the support

!!!!
    !!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!O_O
    !!!!!!!!!/@ @\
    !!!!!!\x/
    !!!!!!/ m !m
    !!!!/ __ |
    !!!!|/ \__
    !!!\______\

12. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to SquirrelSense:

Carol Lynn (07-22-2016), island rehabber (07-22-2016), missPixy (07-22-2016), Sara in NW MS (07-22-2016)

Gardentoes11 Guest

So sorry for your loss, BSG. They're really something magical to those of us who understand! Your life is so much richer for having had Mr Winks in it. May you endure the pain of loss by relying on the smiles his memories bring.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Gardentoes11 from:

SquirrelSense (07-22-2016)

What a beautiful eulogy/tribute to the noble Winks, BSG. I feel as if I knew him, and grieve his loss with you. The curse of malocclusion is about the worse thing that fate can deal a squirrel, but at least he managed to have a full life and know respect and love before it finally did take him down. So many are not so lucky. Rest in heavenly peace, Mr Winks -- you were much loved.

When you are ready, I will respectfully move this thread to All Squirrels Go to Heaven.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Rest in Peace
    Mr. Winks Name:  dove2.gif
Views: 78
Size:  701 Bytes

BSG Mr. Winks

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Oh, BSG I am so sorry for your loss.
    I know you did all you could for him, loving him and helping him throughout his life and in the end, you also showed love to him in freeing him from the pain. Godspeed noble Mr. Winks.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lennysmom from:

Thank You TSB;
    For all for all the months we fought for Mr.Winks sarc mange t...one of the worst seen even by my phenomenal vet..Thank you, for together, due to his trust, and your inspiration, sending supportive med', messages, leads to wonderful resources, not only did he have many months of happiness, of life back in the park, and love feeling his thick and shiny coat again....staying with his lovely ladies and being the King.
    Winky was injured again recently...we could not stop that for it is the terrible and brutal world of urban wilderness...this last one took his teeth into a place that was unmanageable. This deadly type of injury was a warning of the pervasive violence that our city squirrels now face daily. Sadly, more often than not inflicted by a human kick, a sicced dog, poison, etc. The needed patrol to police these parks is dwindling.

Rules and laws are not enforced, chemicals are fare from consideration of the urban wildlife in many 'gardens".

Winky lived with a manageable set of disabilities from his first atrocious youngster attack many years ago...and though he was left him with deformities, STILL he became the alpha male and complete ruler of his clan. This is what we should all be capable of....not just being color-blind, but disability appreciative.
    No matter he had one scratched out cornea, multiple attacks to bob his tail to a bunny puff...he adapted for and to each and every disability of disfigurement and became more desirable with each successive harem of lady squirrels....they saw grace, power, and ceaseless achievement to adapt in.
    Mr.Winks..the most desirable male because of his ability to overcome!
    Until the very last injury.

The work The Squirrel Board, freinds in my own personal circle of squirrel rehabber's, vets, animal experts and more gave me the knowledge and tools to help Mr.Wink's do what he was meant to....leave his genetic mark! He did his job on this Earth, and now can populate over the bridge.

I thank you all for the months we anguished how to get him out of exile and covered in his magnificent coat again. He Made it, and said sayonara in the way we see a champion....on top and still fighting.
    I bow to your spirit Mr.Winks....Namaste

I hope Winky is now somewhere better. He was an old toughy, a surviver and he lived his squirrely life to its fullest. He had you, his human friend to help him in the end.

Gods Speed Winky.

-Grateful Dead

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

I am very sorry to hear about Mr. Winks. I know how devastated you are BSG, but you did all that you could and so much more than most people would ever think about doing! My prayers are with you.

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Godspeed Mr. Winks...
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SammysMom from:

Oh, BSG, I'm so very sorry to hear about Mr. Wink. That is just heartbreaking. At least he died a dignified death surrounded by love.

RIP Mr. Wink

BSG