Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WARNING DO NOT FEED Fox Valley 32/40

Default Re: WARNING DO NOT FEED Fox Valley 32/40

Kevin, there are people here on TSB who are very astute about squirrel nutrition and the composition of these products. I'm not one of them. All I can tell you is that both these products are made by Pet Ag, but they are NOT the same. Esbilac has a certain combination of probiotics and other nutrients that Pet Lac and the others do not have, and that means they are not good for wildlife. (They may be fine for puppies.)

Nearly every large pet supply store -- Petco, Petsmart, etc -- carries the right Esbilac in the can with the blue line around the top that says "with probiotics....blah blah". That's what you need.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Thank-you, Island Rehabber, for you fast and helpful response. I suspected there is a difference but part of me wonders if there is or if it is just an old label or something on the one that doesn't say Esbilac. After all, they are both the same brand, both the same nutritional numbers, both say "with probiotics and prebiotics, and show the same ingredients. I just am not sure if there is really a difference or if the one without the word Esbilac is just a different label, maybe an older photo?/ Anyway, as you said, maybe some of the experts here will chime in. Thanks again. BTW, I'm a long time lurker here and admire and appreciate the way you help so many people. Thanks

https://www.walmart.com/search/?cat_id=0&query=esbilac

Quote Originally Posted by Thecityman View Post
    After all, they are both the same brand, both the same nutritional numbers, both say "with probiotics and prebiotics, and show the same ingredients. I just am not sure if there is really a difference or if the one without the word Esbilac is just a different label, maybe an older photo?
    The PetLac and Esbilac formulas are significantly different and the ingredients vary virtually from the very first ingredient (keep in mind ingredients are listed in descending order as well from the ingredient that has the highest content to the lowest). While the "nutritional numbers" (fat and protein) are the same / similar, the sources used for fat and protein are very different. The Esbilac protein comes from whey, the PetLac uses soy. The Esbilac fat comes from cream, the PetLac skimmed milk.... in the words of IR... blah blah blah!

My wife is a pescatarian (does not eat meat but does eat fish) but there were a couple of times over the years since she stopped eating meat when she had a craving and ate meat 6 years or so since she changed her diet. On each occasion she became sick as hell. Her body is no longer capable of handling the meat proteins. This is the analogy I think of as to what happens to baby squirrels being fed formulas that get protein and fat from sources their vegetarian bodies simply cannot handle.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Diggie's Friend (09-04-2019), Thecityman (09-04-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    The PetLac and Esbilac formulas are significantly different and the ingredients vary virtually from the very first ingredient (keep in mind ingredients are listed in descending order as well from the ingredient that has the highest content to the lowest). While the "nutritional numbers" (fat and protein) are the same / similar, the sources used for fat and protein are very different. The Esbilac protein comes from whey, the PetLac uses soy. The Esbilac fat comes from cream, the PetLac skimmed milk.... in the words of IR... blah blah blah!

My wife is a pescatarian (does not eat meat but does eat fish) but there were a couple of times over the years since she stopped eating meat when she had a craving and ate meat 6 years or so since she changed her diet. On each occasion she became sick as hell. Her body is no longer capable of handling the meat proteins. This is the analogy I think of as to what happens to baby squirrels being fed formulas that get protein and fat from sources their vegetarian bodies simply cannot handle.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to explain the difference to me - both biologically and with an example I could understand. I'll try to find the Esbilac ASAP. Thank you again for taking time to try and help me.
    Kevin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123