Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WARNING DO NOT FEED Fox Valley 32/40

Default Re: WARNING DO NOT FEED Fox Valley 32/40 to pinkies

If I recall correctly, the good Esbilac has "with pro-biotics" on the label.
    Last edited by island rehabber; 07-26-2016 at 07:05 AM.
    I have never kissed a squirrel, I'm just tasting them. Honest.

That's right --- in a thin blue 'ribbon' around the top of the can.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Quote Originally Posted by Skul View Post
    If I recall correctly, the good Esbilac has "with pro-biotics" on the label.

If for some reason you can't find the one that says with probiotics in the BLUE banner
    look at the ingredients, and the third one should be Dried Whey Protein Concentrate.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Phoxy8947 (06-17-2017)

Default Re: WARNING DO NOT FEED Fox Valley 32/40

Welp im freaked out now. I just ordered fv 20/50 for my earl whos almost 6 weeks.. i have had him on esbilac since got him. He doesnt eat much anymore prefers solid.. thats why in ordered that to help him gain better weight.. what ia thr problem with these formulas?both seem to have had issues in the last year or tqo can someone fill me in?

There is not a problem at the present time with Fox Valley 20/50. I have been using it for years. Many folks on here use a 50/50 mixture of Fox Valley 20/50 and Esbilac once their little ones eyes are open.

The problem is with the Fox Valley 32/40. It sits in the guts of the infant squirrels and turns to sludge/cement. The babies can't digest or pass it and they end up dying.

You're fine with Fox Valley 20/50.

7. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

cava (09-19-2017), island rehabber (09-19-2017), Nancy in New York (09-19-2017), stepnstone (09-19-2017)

JLynne Guest

Is it okay to feed a 5-6 week old fox valley? Been using esbilac until my order of fox valley arrives.

The Fox Valley 20:50 for older babies is fine. The problems have been with the FV 32:40.

Some rehabber switch from Esbilac to FV 20:50.
    Others stay with the Esbilac.
    And some even use half Esbilac and half FoxValley 20:50.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

Spanky (09-08-2018)

TO the best of my knowledge, nobody has ever had issues with Fox Valley 20/50.
    It's the 32/40 that has been extremely problematic for pinkies (4 weeks and under).
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

I wonder why--with all this empirical evidence, Nick has not changed the formula ? Does he personally produce the F.V. or is it outsourced ?
    His reticence is costing him $$$$.

Quote Originally Posted by stosh2010 View Post
    I wonder why--with all this empirical evidence, Nick has not changed the formula ? Does he personally produce the F.V. or is it outsourced ?
    His reticence is costing him $$$$.
    Two reasons, IMHO:

1. Most of the rehabbers he's dealing with don't do true neonates or pinkies. It's the rare few of us who actually enjoy getting up every 2 hours all night long for two weeks who had the worst horrors with 32/40. The majority of rehabbers who start with 4-week olds and take it from there have never had a problem. I actually know licensed rehabbers who have been active for 5-6 years now but have never EVER taken in a true pinky. This is why it seems as if we are a small but vocal minority and can be ignored.

2. Years ago when Nick's wife died, he became a very broken and changed man. He gave up most of the running and control of Fox Valley to his son and, I think, nephew or son-in-law. I believe they are outsourcing ingredients (probably from China) and something is amiss in the mix for 32/40. Nick just can't deal with it all...anymore.

JMHO.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

stosh2010 (09-09-2018)

ashleyk1432 Guest

Red face Re: WARNING DO NOT FEED Fox Valley 32/40 to pinkies

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman View Post
    One note. I did save both of mine, when they plugged up and I would be happy to discuss how to save them when they do bloat.
    please how did you save a bloated baby????

ashleyk1432 Guest

Exclamation Re: WARNING DO NOT FEED Fox Valley 32/40

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    TO the best of my knowledge, nobody has ever had issues with Fox Valley 20/50.
    It's the 32/40 that has been extremely problematic for pinkies (4 weeks and under).
    i was so worried i am a first time rehabber for squirrels i am wanting to help i have experience with puppies and kittens and just want to do my part as a animal lover
    but my baby is now around 5 weeks and i just took her slowly from esbilac to 20/50fv she seems do be doing good but the one thing is i have to have almost 12 1cc syringes because if i use anything larger she acts like its getting in her nose although i feed the same about and at the same pace i am now scared of her getting pneumonia please tell me any tip that will help her slow down nursing so i don't hurt her she is thriving and playing with toys i have given her to help her learn things like twigs and wood blocks i just don't want her ending up sick

You need to change the way you hold the syringe. When they are little babies, you need to push on the end of the plunger in order to deposit the formula in their mouths. As you have discovered, that ends!

I am right handed. I hold my hand open, face up, and place the syringe across my hand right where the fingers meet the palm, with the tip and nipple extending past my pinkie finger. I usually situate it so that the shoulders of the syringe are sitting between my ring and middle finger. So when I curl my fingers around the syringe like I am holding it in my fist, my ring and pinkie are curled around the barrel of the syringe but my middle and index are around the long stem of the plunger. I can push with my thumb if I need to, and when I see that they are taking control and actually sucking the milk out, I just tighten down on the fingers that are around the plunger. If that plunger can't move that baby can suck his darned self inside out and he isn't going to get another drop until I say so.

Play with one of the syringes without the baby and find a comfortable way to hold it that allows you to have at least one of your fingers curled around the plunger to prevent it from moving.

It won't take long to find his rhythm so you can fill him up without his choking himself.

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Chirps (09-03-2019), ClemC5 (09-18-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by ashleyk1432 View Post
    please how did you save a bloated baby????
    Here is Duckman's post about bloated babies..

"The trick for me seemed to be getting in as much water, as quickly as possible, once you see and feel the hardness in the belly. Not sugar water or Pedilyte, but plain water. I did this every hour (giving about .2-.3 ml) and ensure you stimulate after each, for 2 reasons. 1. You have to get that water out of the bladder, and it will burst if you don't. 2. You want that water to start working on the crud in the belly. After 8-10 hours, you should start seeing some movement out of the bowel (they will continue to poop, but you will start to see it more watery, which is what you want). At that time, start introducing diluted formula at the ratio of 25% Esbilac, 75% water. Feed this for the first half day. The second half day, I bumped up the ration to 50/50. I fed this for a day and then went to 75% Esbilac, 25% water and introduced full food the next day (and the blockage was gone!). So far, I am at 100% success rate. One note though. I check my pinkies after every feeding, so see if their bellies are hard or squishy. I would suggest everyone get in the habit of checking them after every feeding as habit and you can't go wrong in catching them before they bloat up. Once they take on that angry red color on their bellies (this is when their system goes septic), they are gone and can't be saved, so the trick is to catch them before this happens (hence, getting in the habit to see if their tummies are hard or not). "

My little nugget just died. It makes me very sad. Now I know, cause of you all, not to use FV with pinkies. This is not the first time that a pinkie had a milk line that would not go away. Now I know why.

Thanks again,
    Joyful (not so joyful now)

I am so sorry Joyful. That makes me sad also.

Godspeed precious baby...

I am so very sorry, Joyful...
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

I'm so sorry to read this Joyful.

Rest in Peace
    Precious Little One. Name:  dove2.gif
Views: 230
Size:  701 Bytes

I am so sorry, Joyful.....RIP little one.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

Thecityman Guest

can anyone tell me the difference in the Pro Ag Esbilac Puppy Milk replacer powder and the Pro Ag Puppy Milk replacer powder that doesn't say Esbilac. If you look on the walmart web site and search Esbilac, the only one eligible for next day delivery (which I need) just says "Pro Ag Puppy Milk Replacer but doesn't have "Esbilac" on the can. The numbers (33/40) seem to be the same.

Not sure if this link will work but I'll try:

https://www.walmart.com/search/?cat_id=0&query=esbilac

Thank-you all very much!

Kevin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast