Thread: Juvenile squirrel possibly dying

Default Juvenile squirrel possibly dying

I have a juvenile squirrel that seems to be weak and lethargic. It is huddled and hiding in it’s temporary enclosure, with his head burried in the grass bedding. I am unsure what to do, but I am afraid that it might be dying.

It drank a little water and ate some grapes, Yesterday. It was also much more active yesterday.

I do not know anything about caring for squirrels, and would appreciate some advice so that I can keep this guy alive and get his strength up.

I took in squirrel because it had been following me around and crawling up my leg for a couple days, and it seemed to be a “pant tugger orphan.” It kept coming into the garage and trying to get into the house that I was working on. It was also slow and it’s balance seemed off. There were many predators in the area and overgrown yard, and so I decided that it needed my help and brought it home.

Default Re: Juvenile squirrel possibly dying

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHavlik View Post
    I have a juvenile squirrel that seems to be weak and lethargic. It is huddled and hiding in it’s temporary enclosure, with his head burried in the grass bedding. I am unsure what to do, but I am afraid that it might be dying.

It drank a little water and ate some grapes, Yesterday. It was also much more active yesterday.

I do not know anything about caring for squirrels, and would appreciate some advice so that I can keep this guy alive and get his strength up.

I took in squirrel because it had been following me around and crawling up my leg for a couple days, and it seemed to be a “pant tugger orphan.” It kept coming into the garage and trying to get into the house that I was working on. It was also slow and it’s balance seemed off. There were many predators in the area and overgrown yard, and so I decided that it needed my help and brought it home.
    If you can please take and post a full body picture for a better assessment on condition and age.
    In the meantime please read this link below on baby squirrel care, It can be a huge help.
    Go to this link:
    It's 6 pages long with the next button on the top right corner.

https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Name:  IMG_4680.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  100.9 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    If you can please take and post a full body picture for a better assessment on condition and age.
    In the meantime please read this link below on baby squirrel care, It can be a huge help.
    Go to this link:
    It's 6 pages long with the next button on the top right corner.

https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/
    It appears to be urinating on itself

Views: 56
Size:  100.2 KB

Name:  IMG_4679.jpg
Size:  129.7 KB

You can take a wet, warm washcloth and wipe him down to clean him off. Keep him in a warm, quiet place.

In the meantime, you can give him a little homemade pedialite (a pinch of salt, suger in water). This will help to rehydrate him. Do you have a small ~3ml shringe? If not, he may be able to drink this out of a small, shallow bowl. He can have a couple drinks of the pedilate before he should be switched back to pkain water or formula (powdered puppy Esbilac is easy to find).

Check to see if you can find any nearby wildlife rehabbers. Also, the website StepnStone sent you will be VERY helpful.

[edit - originally suggested a 5ml syring but a 3ml syringe is much safer when trying to prevent aspiration.]

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHavlik View Post
Size:  100.9 KB

It appears to be urinating on itself

Views: 56
Size:  100.2 KB

Name:  IMG_4679.jpg
Size:  129.7 KB
    Last edited by TubeDriver; 08-25-2021 at 02:04 PM.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Diggie's Friend (08-25-2021)

Are you near Vancouver, WA by any chance?
    https://www.squirrelrefuge.org/

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Rocky1 (08-25-2021), stepnstone (08-25-2021), TubeDriver (08-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Are you near Vancouver, WA by any chance?
    https://www.squirrelrefuge.org/
    I'm not too far from there, thank you for the link.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SeanHavlik from:

TubeDriver (08-25-2021)