Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know what this bald patch with scaly skin could be?

Default Anyone know what this bald patch with scaly skin could be?

Was playing with Angel today and I noticed a bald patch on his back thigh that I hadn't seen before.

Upon closer inspection I noticed that it was scaly and a little red right around the edge, something I haven't seen before. Does anyone know what this could be?

I just wanted to make sure it wasn't the start of some sort of skin condition and if so, I want to take care of it early. It does itch him. I will mention that I have not changed any soaps, detergents or dryer sheets, and I don't wear perfume or lotion around him. I use perfume and dye free detergent, unscented dryer sheets, and all natural hand soap. I am at a loss as to what this could be or why it came up so quickly on him.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

Default Re: Anyone know what this bald patch with scaly skin could be?

Probably a little staph infection. 20 drops of betadyne in 1/4 cup water and use to wet that area down twice a day.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

lennysmom (06-18-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Probably a little staph infection. 20 drops of betadyne in 1/4 cup water and use to wet that area down twice a day.
    Ok, thanks CritterMom. I will defiantly do that.
    Any idea what might cause that?
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

I've never seen ringworm on a squirrel but there is a red ring around the bald area. Maybe get somebody who HAS seen RW to rule that out. Love you Angel

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chickenlegs from:

lennysmom (06-18-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs View Post
    I've never seen ringworm on a squirrel but there is a red ring around the bald area. Maybe get somebody who HAS seen RW to rule that out. Love you Angel
    I've seen ringworm on humans and that looks like what I remember. Anyone know an anti-fungal good for squirrels?

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to JPlagg from:

lennysmom (06-18-2016)

That is why I suggested the betadyne. It is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal.

Mister P gets this in the summer sometimes, and he doesn't go outside at all. I suspect that like everything else, it pops up in the summer warmth.

10. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

lennysmom (06-18-2016), stepnstone (06-18-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Chickenlegs View Post
    Ugh, I thought about ringworm when I saw it, but I was hoping that's not what it is. And I have NO idea how he would have gotten that considering that he is not exposed to any other animals or anyone who had it..

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    That is why I suggested the betadyne. It is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal.

Mister P gets this in the summer sometimes, and he doesn't go outside at all. I suspect that like everything else, it pops up in the summer warmth.
    Ah, ok. I didn't think about the summer heat possibly causing it.
    I will go get the betadyne tonight.
    Good to know other indoor squee have experienced this before too.

Poor Baby..i don't have any useful advise..just want you to know I thing abut you and pray for surcess and quick painless healing for lil Lenny each and every day and evening.

We love you
    XOXOXO-Claudia BostonSquirrelyGirl, Gwenzy, Winky,Kalhua, beloved angels Ol Grey, Buster squirrel Squeeee on both my shoulders and the 1st angel Mabel

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SquirrelSense from:

lennysmom (06-18-2016)

Other option would be ringworm. Could you have touched an outdoor animal (mouse or squirrel) and then maybe patted Angel?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

lennysmom (06-19-2016)

I've seen a lot of ringworm in kittens (and therefore on myself) and that's what it looks like to me. You'll need to apply an antifungal cream a couple of times a day. Anything from CVS will work, such as clotriminazole, etc. I'm currently dealing with it myself. It's very contagious and the spores get everywhere so try to give him a bath or rub-down with a wet cloth as often as possible and keep him away from other animals.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to MiriamS from:

lennysmom (06-19-2016)

DaSquirrelMom Guest

Sunlight exposure is prescribed for humans with ringworm (a fungus that can grow in any damp place including her cage) in addition to topical anti fungal meds. I have no idea how long she could "suntan" without burning. If it's ringworm, her entire cage must be cleaned with 10% bleach solution. Your other pets could soon be infected.

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DaSquirrelMom from:

lennysmom (06-19-2016)

DaSquirrelMom Guest

Interesting stuff I found:

-A few dermatophyte species are soil inhabitants (geophilic), eg, M gypseum and T terrestre, and cause disease in animals that are exposed while digging or rooting.

-….the housefly, Musca domestica, can transmit M canis mechanically with its outer body surface for as long as 5 days

-Broken hairs infected with spores are important sources for spread of the disease.
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in...ophytosis.html

-feet are a reservoir of fungus and ringworm can easily make its way into the home on your shoes.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/49...home-ringworm/

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DaSquirrelMom from:

lennysmom (06-19-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Other option would be ringworm. Could you have touched an outdoor animal (mouse or squirrel) and then maybe patted Angel?
    No, I'm always very careful to wash my hands right before I visit Angel - he gets upset if he smells another animal on me.. somehow he thinks I belong ONLY to him.

Quote Originally Posted by MiriamS View Post
    I've seen a lot of ringworm in kittens (and therefore on myself) and that's what it looks like to me. You'll need to apply an antifungal cream a couple of times a day. Anything from CVS will work, such as clotriminazole, etc. I'm currently dealing with it myself. It's very contagious and the spores get everywhere so try to give him a bath or rub-down with a wet cloth as often as possible and keep him away from other animals.
    My concern with the antifungal cream is that he will ingest it, since he chews at that place quite a bit. Is it safe for them to ingest?
    I hate to hear that it's very contagious if that's what it is though. He's not exposed to any other animals and I will be sure to wash my hands after handling him. So far I only see it in that one spot on his body, but I am wiping him down in that area twice a day as CritterMom suggested with the betadyne. So far it seems to be helping - it was very red and irritated last night and after using the betadyne, the redness was greatly reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by DaSquirrelMom View Post
    Sunlight exposure is prescribed for humans with ringworm (a fungus that can grow in any damp place including her cage) in addition to topical anti fungal meds. I have no idea how long she could "suntan" without burning. If it's ringworm, her entire cage must be cleaned with 10% bleach solution. Your other pets could soon be infected.
    It is WAY too hot here right now to put him in direct sunlight - I wonder if a sunlamp would help at all? I do have one of those I could attach to the top of his cage if it would help..
    I actually just cleaned his cage last night, but I didn't use bleach - only Dawn dish detergent. To be cautious, I will do that today. I will also add a little bleach to his blankets when I wash them.

Quote Originally Posted by DaSquirrelMom View Post
    Interesting stuff I found:

-A few dermatophyte species are soil inhabitants (geophilic), eg, M gypseum and T terrestre, and cause disease in animals that are exposed while digging or rooting.

-….the housefly, Musca domestica, can transmit M canis mechanically with its outer body surface for as long as 5 days

-Broken hairs infected with spores are important sources for spread of the disease.
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in...ophytosis.html

-feet are a reservoir of fungus and ringworm can easily make its way into the home on your shoes.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/49...home-ringworm/
    I never knew a fly could carry things like that, although I haven't seen any flies in the house this year so far. But on the bottom of shoes... wow, I never thought about that really, but I suppose it could be a possibility that something like that could be carried in on the bottom of my shoes. Interesting facts - thanks for sharing.

Please don't use a sunlamp.....unless you can put light blocking goggles on him.

When I was much younger, I had a sunlamp and even though I was not looking directly at the bulb, my eyeballs got burned terribly. Worst pain I have ever experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by lennysmom View Post
    It is WAY too hot here right now to put him in direct sunlight - I wonder if a sunlamp would help at all? I do have one of those I could attach to the top of his cage if it would help..
    I actually just cleaned his cage last night, but I didn't use bleach - only Dawn dish detergent. To be cautious, I will do that today. I will also add a little bleach to his blankets when I wash them.

28. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Snowy:

DarkLies212 (06-20-2016), lennysmom (06-19-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    Please don't use a sunlamp.....unless you can put light blocking goggles on him.

When I was much younger, I had a sunlamp and even though I was not looking directly at the bulb, my eyeballs got burned terribly. Worst pain I have ever experienced.
    I actually meant a reptile UV lamp... guess I should have clarified.
    But that does sound awful! Thanks for the warning.

Yep, it was an experience I'll never forget! Just the word "sunlamp" makes me cringe.

Hope you get to the bottom of Angel's irritation soon.

Quote Originally Posted by lennysmom View Post
    I actually meant a reptile UV lamp... guess I should have clarified.
    But that does sound awful! Thanks for the warning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast