Thread: 9 year old gray squirrel having problems

Default 9 year old gray squirrel having problems

My 9 year old gray had problems with her teeth the end of May. Found a wonderful vet that trimmed her teeth and got her on the road to recovery. When I got home tonight she wouldn't come out of her sleepy sack. Finally got her to come out but she didn't want to eat. Finally ate her HHB block. Seems very tired. I have given her three doses of calcium. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Default Re: 9 year old gray squirrel having problems

Charleyanne, the vet needs to do an Xray of the head to rule out odontoma. If she's had teeth problems in the past it's always important to rule this out.

Also, I see you're supplementing with calcium. Has the diet been calcium deficient?
    That's usually the first things I think about with older squirrels.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

PennyCash (06-16-2016)

Her diet had been good until a few weeks ago. The top teet were too short and the bottom too long. She trimmed the bottom ones and said to keep her on a soft diet for a month. She is to go back to the vet to get the teeth rechecked. Up to that time she had been on the diet suggested by squirrel board. Gets HHB blocks every day before she gets her approved vegetables & fruit. Also gets calcium chews. Since her teeth were trimmed she doesn't want the calcium chews. I gave her tums in a syringe tonight about 2 hrs ago and she seems a little better.

It can't hurt to increase her calcium for a week or so and see if her energy level improves. Remember, though, that she is 9 years old and that is a lovely old age for a little squirrel. We don't expect to be playing tennis or doing Zumba when we're in our eighties, and that would be comparable to her age. I agree with HRT4SQRLS that a head xray may really be important in her case, because she has had dental issues in the past.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

I will get in touch with the vet and get an appointment. She stays booked several days in advance but is wonderful with my baby. Charley Anne has not been this tired and not moving around her cage until today. She is really worrying me so prayers will be appreciated. I can't believe she is nine years old. Without all the help from squirrel board she would have never made it. She did eat her block tonight but didn't want any thing else.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CHARLEYANNE:

Nancy in New York (06-16-2016), PennyCash (06-16-2016)

Sometimes the short top teeth can be an indicator of odontoma. The teeth grow backwards instead of forward. Top teeth with odontoma also have a blunt squared edge as opposed to a chiseled edge of normal teeth. Because the top teeth don't grow out the bottom teeth will overgrown. I'm not saying this is definitely the problem but it's something to look into.

If your vet is not familiar with odontoma on an Xray he could forward the images to a vet in FL that could make the diagnosis IF needed.

I'm hopeful it's just a combination of a 'senior' girl and low calcium.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

PennyCash (06-16-2016)

Just a quick update on Charley Anne. She was much better this morning. She is alert and eating much better. I have been giving the extra calcium for 3 days now. She will still be seeing the vet to rule out any other issues. Thanks again for all the support and advice.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CHARLEYANNE:

DarkLies212 (06-17-2016), Nancy in New York (06-17-2016)