Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible MBD!!!! Help!

Default Re: Possible MBD!!!! Help!

Bernie's Backstory:

His daily diet is one Henry's block in the morning and one in the afternoon usually around three. In between his blocks he eats probably 10 to 20 almonds, apples, squash, broccoli and/or blueberries. Sometimes I give him these yogie treats I bought at the pet store for rodents, but that is not very often.

He's been off his esiblac powder formula for probably about a month and a half. I've been taking him outside a couple hours a week, letting him get used to it. Rain keeps delaying his release.

On Friday 5/27 we bought him a brand new cage, about 5 ft tall so its very large, but that is the only thing that has been different for him. He's really been acting totally normal until yesterday where he wasn't interested in eating his block, which is weird because he loves his blocks, but I thought maybe he was just holding out for nuts. After he refused to eat his block I gave him some almonds and apples which he ate. He was not lethargic during this time at all. Then today he ate some of his block and some apple. I took him out to play while I was doing my homework this afternoon and I noticed him drinking an excessive amount of water. He was very playful, which is why I wasn't super concerned. About an hour after he started shaking. I got scared and immediately gave him the emergency calcium. About 5 minutes after that he started seizing. He has since stopped seizing, but now has paralysis.

I love this little guy, and I'm not sure what I could've done differently. I really want to know. I have even been looking into becoming a CWR. So I always want to learn.

How tall was his other cage? I am wondering if maybe he fell and injured himself.
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

His other cage was about two and half feet. But he does very well in the tall oak tree in my yard.

Could it be possible the cage switch could have stressed him out and he stopped eating? I don't always watch him to make sure he's eaten all of his block. He could have been stock piling his food, and I just didn't notice. I was reading it doesn't take very long for MBD to take effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Taragracee View Post
    In between his blocks he eats probably 10 to 20 almonds, apples, squash, broccoli and/or blueberries.
    Just want to make sure this is 10 - 20, and not 1 -2?

Stop all nuts for now. Nuts are an occasional treat, like giving child cotton candy...

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

lennysmom (05-31-2016), SammysMom (05-31-2016)

Update: I just tried to give him some calcium mixed with syrup and water but it was basically impossible and I decided he was hurting himself more by trying to get away from me. I did get just a bit in his mouth. I also mixed some calcium in avocado, just trying to get him to take it anyway possible, he still didn't go for it. He won't drink water either. This is a bad situation. If he's still here in the morning, I'm going to take him to a wildlife center about an hour away. Hopefully, they can help him more than I can.

Thank you everyone for your help, I will let you know how tomorrow goes.

Where are you in Florida?

I'm in Ft. Pierce Fl, about an hour thirty south of Orlando and three hours north of Miami.

How is he?

I am praying for a turnaround for your baby. I know how scary it can be. Are you near port orange? I think thats right but will look

Bernie is showing some improvement! This morning he ate a little bit of his block. He is also letting me pet him. He still very sick though.

Whenever I attempted to give him a dose of calcium he became very agitated again. He saw the syringe and got upset. Have any tips on getting him to take the calcium? Can I put it in peanut butter maybe?

He got up on the top shelf of his cage, I'm worried he will fall. I have a smaller cage that about a foot, pretty small, should I put him in that? I don't want to stress him out further but I also don't want him to fall.

I am about 2 hours away from Port Orange.

I have a list of vets. I will look in florida. I know i have a few

Thank you, I would appreciate it. I just called the wildlife center I was planning on going to and they didn't sound too promising and they said if I brought him there I couldn't have him back. He's so combative that I fear they would give up on him because he's too difficult.

Would a vet give him a calcium shot? I was reading they do those for reptiles with MBD.

Thank you, I would appreciate it. I just called the wildlife center I was planning on going to and they didn't sound too promising and they said if I brought him there I couldn't have him back. He's so combative that I fear they would give up on him because he's too difficult.

Would a vet give him a calcium shot? I was reading they do those for reptiles with MBD.
    Personally I would never take him to a wildlife center.
    We had a story once of a squirrel being brought to one, and
    he bit one of the volunteers, and they euthanized him to test
    him for rabies.
    Yes, vets will give calcium injections.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

lennysmom (06-01-2016)

Okay, yeah I was afraid of something like that. Definitely not going there. I will try to find a vet that will agree to see him.

Okay, yeah I was afraid of something like that. Definitely not going there. I will try to find a vet that will agree to see him.
    We have a 9 years old squirrel that just got calcium injections,
    but she may have other issues.
    Let me look for the specifics of the vet visit.

Read post #30 and #47.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ritional-needs

I just called our vet that we use for our dog, and he was currently in surgery, but the receptionist said she would call me back and would let me know if I could bring him in. She told me that he treated a baby squirrel last week. So fingers crossed. Still calling around to other vets.

I hope Daisey recovers! As far as my little Bernie, I guess its just a waiting game now, till a vet calls me back. I'm not sure what else I can do.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Taragracee from:

Nancy in New York (06-01-2016)

If you are willing to drive north on I95 to Port Orange you can see one of the best squirrel vets in the country. The hospital name is Ravenwood Vet Clinic and the doctor you want to see is Dr. Emerson. She is amazing and knows far more about squirrels than most vets. The office is a short distance from I95 and easy to get to. I am located near Cocoa Bch and take my guy up there often. She works MWF usually, but she may be in at other times to work around the other vets schedules. The ofc # 386-788-1550. I hope your guys get better.

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Nancy in New York (06-01-2016), Taragracee (06-01-2016)

Thank you so much!! I will definitely add this vet to my address book. I actually found a vet in my town willing to see him and I am sitting in the office waiting to be seen now. But if this vet can't do anything or little Bernie doesn't show signs of improvement I will 100% make the drive!

He seems fairly stable right now, I just don't want him to relapse (since he won't take calcium orally now)! So hopefully this shot will do the trick!

I cannot express how thankful I am to this community!

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Taragracee from:

Nancy in New York (06-01-2016)

No single shot is going to do the trick. He is going to need calcium orally for a long time - weeks to months - to get past this...

I am so glad! I am on the phone with someone in Florida now. I will cease the search! Prayers for healing. Remember to tell he went into a tall cage recently. Xrays will answer injury and mbd questions

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast