Thread: Chronic Diarrhea

shutterbug1590 Guest

Default Chronic Diarrhea

I have a 9 week old eastern grey, she has had diarrhea on and off for the last two weeks. I have tried deworming her, I have tried introducing foods to her at snail pace, and she has remained in the same environment/ stress free for the last seven weeks. Her behavior is normal (running, jumping etc), she drinks water, eats (radishes, broccoli, squash etc) and she is starting to wean herself from the formula (fox valley 4+ weeks). I can't figure out what could be causing this diarrhea, she goes through spurts. Sometimes it's soft stool, then it's formed stool and then it's diarrhea (sometimes with mucous). And the diarrhea is always a yellow (mustardy, sometimes light yellow) and it doesn't have any smells to it. Has anyone else had this problem, and how can I fix it my washer is starting to feel tired.

Default Re: Chronic Diarrhea

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug1590 View Post
    I have a 9 week old eastern grey, she has had diarrhea on and off for the last two weeks. I have tried deworming her, I have tried introducing foods to her at snail pace, and she has remained in the same environment/ stress free for the last seven weeks. Her behavior is normal (running, jumping etc), she drinks water, eats (radishes, broccoli, squash etc) and she is starting to wean herself from the formula (fox valley 4+ weeks). I can't figure out what could be causing this diarrhea, she goes through spurts. Sometimes it's soft stool, then it's formed stool and then it's diarrhea (sometimes with mucous). And the diarrhea is always a yellow (mustardy, sometimes light yellow) and it doesn't have any smells to it. Has anyone else had this problem, and how can I fix it my washer is starting to feel tired.
    What does she weigh? How much & how often are you giving formula?

The first solid food you should be / had been feeding her is a good quality rodent block.
    That is her protection against mbd once weaned and she should be eating it and eating
    it well before other solid foods are introduced.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Chronic diarrhea can sometimes be due to salmonella. If you have Clavamox, it is the most effective AB against salmonella. The poop you described sounds like coccidia, but if there is no sickeningly sweet smell then it may be salmonella instead.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

shutterbug1590 Guest

She currently weighs 226 grams (1/2 lb), she is now taking 12-15cc twice daily (7am and 7pm). She started on Henry's "baby" squirrel block from about four weeks. I didn't introduced broccoli to her until she was about six closer to seven weeks. I could take food away, leave the block and see if that works. But she could have coccidiosis, my nose isn't the best at detecting smells. I work at a vets office and I couldn't smell rotting flesh or anal glands. I could treat her with albon, but is the dosing the same as if I was treating a cat/dog? And what would the treatment length be?

Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug1590 View Post
    She currently weighs 226 grams (1/2 lb), she is now taking 12-15cc twice daily (7am and 7pm). She started on Henry's "baby" squirrel block from about four weeks. I didn't introduced broccoli to her until she was about six closer to seven weeks. I could take food away, leave the block and see if that works. But she could have coccidiosis, my nose isn't the best at detecting smells. I work at a vets office and I couldn't smell rotting flesh or anal glands. I could treat her with albon, but is the dosing the same as if I was treating a cat/dog? And what would the treatment length be?
    It is not the same as cats/dogs. A squirrel is dosed medications strictly according to it's accurate body weight.
    We would need to know the Albon form and milligrams/strength to provide proper breakdown and dosing.
    Treatment for coccidia in squirrels is recommended for a period of 14 days, longer in severe cases.

Since you work in a vet's office can you get a fecal done for clarification before administering a drug that
    possibly may not even be necessary?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Nancy in New York (05-16-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post

Since you work in a vet's office can you get a fecal done for clarification before administering a drug that
    possibly may not even be necessary?

Great suggestion!

shutterbug1590 Guest

The form of Albon is liquid, it's 250mg/5ml 5% suspension (I don't know if you need that information). I am going to try to collect a sample from her today, it's just a little difficult because ideally the lab would like a "decent" amount which squirrels don't really provide. I think that's one of the reasons so many squirrels come back negative. And she doesn't like being touched in the genital area, she has cleaned so much down there that her urethra is inflamed (this just started yesterday). I could potentially see if maybe something will show up on a fecal smear, and that can be done in house. I will grab albon just in case, but I will hold off on using it until the results come back. Until then I will cut the veggies, up the formula to 3x a day and try the BRAT recipe. But just in case it is coccidia how would I dose liquid albon for 226g squirrel?

shutterbug1590 Guest

New symptom update, her stool has a fowl smell. The only way to describe the smell is sour. And she is most definitely sensitive in her rectcum/urethra/lower abdominal area.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.