Thread: How do I get my squirrels to take water from a water bottle?

Copds Guest

Default How do I get my squirrels to take water from a water bottle?

I have to infant squirrels about 9 weeks old. Have had them for two weeks now and they are beginning to reject the Fox Valley Formula 20/50 they have been taking. They are not interested in the water bottle. They both relish solid food avocado being their favorite but love green beans, apples, strawberries, broccoli, peanuts. They are very active and playful and have totally bonded with me. I suspect they are getting their fluid via the food intake but wanted some advise. I would be much more comfortable seeing them taking water from the bottle.

Copds (Don Shaw)

Default Re: How do I get my squirrels to take water from a water bottle?

Hi Copds! to TSB!!!

I am going to start by providing you this link to the Healthy Squirrel Diet. The diet you listed makes me a little nervous… the digest version of the diet is high quality squirrel block, veggies, some fruit and the occasional nut as a treat... in that order!

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Pet-Squirrels

It is always good to have 2 sources of water in case the water bottle plugs up… we have had more than one squirrel dehydrate severely when this happened. I prefer to have a water bottle and a shallow saucer / dish of water… if they are going to be released (which is always my goal ) I want them to learn to drink from a dish (puddle, pond, etc.). A lot of folks will place clean stones or marbles I the dish making it harder for little ones to get their nose too far under and inhale water.
    While I have never had a squirrel not “take” to the water bottle almost immediately, I have read others have “tapped” on the straw to get the squirrels interested. Once they realize they realize it is a source of water they catch on quick.

Edit: Two water bottles is also common.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Gardentoes11 Guest

I've also put a little bit of honey on the tip of the water bottle. They love sweet stuff, & they get water as a bonus, figuring it out along the way!

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Gardentoes11:

cava (09-02-2016)

Copds Guest

Eni & Meanie definitely do not like Honey on the water spout. But I think they are taking water from the dish. Just for sure I offer it though the nipple. Sometime they take it and sometime they don't.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Copds from:

Members who have read this thread: 1