Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bloated, hard, firm tummy...help!!!!

Default Re: Bloated, hard, firm tummy...help!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ghilliegirl21 View Post
    I just realized I have, in store, fenbendazole 50mg 1 gram pouches. Same active as panacur. Should I try that? And if Willow is 166g, how much should I give her if so?
    I actually have both! Neither are the brand names mentioned but I have both active ingredients. So opinions on whether I should use what is in store already and what doses would be much appreciated!!!!!

I actually have both! Neither are the brand names mentioned but I have both active ingredients. So opinions on whether I should use what is in store already and what doses would be much appreciated!!!!!

What is the mg per tablet of the Drontal?

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post

What is the mg per tablet of the Drontal?
    The Drontal one is a liquid. Says 250mg per each teasopon(5ml) that one is for dogs
    There is also a cat that's 275 mg per 5ml

The Drontal one is a liquid. Says 250mg per each teasopon(5ml) that one is for dogs
    There is also a cat that's 275 mg per 5ml

I am drawing a complete blank on this one.
    According to the chart from the book they dose at 23 mg per tablet.
    for an animal that weighs 1.5 1.9 lbs you would dose 1/4 tablet.

Now to figure this out at your strength and the weight (166 grams) of your squirrel.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

ghilliegirl21 (05-10-2016)

I just realized I have, in store, fenbendazole 50mg 1 gram pouches. Same active as panacur. Should I try that? And if Willow is 166g, how much should I give her if so?

Now to figure this out at your strength and the weight (166 grams) of your squirrel.
    Would the panacur maybe be better/easier? I know at least on rehabber in my area has used that, upon your mentioning it it sparked a memory. 50mg in one gram pouch seems easier to figure out dosage! I'm anxious to get something started to figure out if that's what's making her tummy so hard. So in love with this little girl, want her healthy!

But if 5ml=250mg, then each ml would equal 50mg. 1/2ml would be 25mg. Going by that and her being 166g would maybe give the correct dose somehow? Close? I can get that far and then I lose my math ability hahaha

But if 5ml=250mg, then each ml would equal 50mg. 1/2ml would be 25mg. Going by that and her being 166g would maybe give the correct dose somehow? Close? I can get that far and then I lose my math ability hahaha
    Give me a minute and I will PM you the dosing...

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

ghilliegirl21 (05-10-2016), Mel1959 (05-10-2016)

Hi everyone!
    I'm sorry I haven't been on to update! Miss Willow is doing great! After giving her the Drontal, her tummy seemed much less hard...still big but not hard! I never saw anything expelled, so I don't know if that did the trick or it was just coincidental. She's been spending time in her outside cage and this morning my 2 1/2 year old popped by for a visit. I was a little worried, as he's very territorial with me--no other squirrel can come near the porch when mama is there! But he checked her out (she wanted so badly to play with him &#128549 and didn't seem aggravated. Her first interaction with another squirrel since her own mama. I kinda wanted him to bark at her, just so she knew not all other squirrels are going to want to play...but with the amount of squirrel traffic in the area due to my feeding them it's going to happen soon. So begins the hard part of soft release and worrying incessantly when release comes that my 'lil girl is going to be ok!
    I just wanted to give you all an update, and to thank you again for all the suggestions and for caring about my sweet girl!

Hi everyone!
    I'm sorry I haven't been on to update! Miss Willow is doing great! After giving her the Drontal, her tummy seemed much less hard...still big but not hard! I never saw anything expelled, so I don't know if that did the trick or it was just coincidental. She's been spending time in her outside cage and this morning my 2 1/2 year old popped by for a visit. I was a little worried, as he's very territorial with me--no other squirrel can come near the porch when mama is there! But he checked her out (she wanted so badly to play with him &#128549 and didn't seem aggravated. Her first interaction with another squirrel since her own mama. I kinda wanted him to bark at her, just so she knew not all other squirrels are going to want to play...but with the amount of squirrel traffic in the area due to my feeding them it's going to happen soon. So begins the hard part of soft release and worrying incessantly when release comes that my 'lil girl is going to be ok!
    I just wanted to give you all an update, and to thank you again for all the suggestions and for caring about my sweet girl!
    Thanks for the update.
    Just a word of caution. If you are releasing on your property, you MUST stop feeding all the squirrels.
    I know only too well how hard this will be.
    Your little girl is more competition for them, I learned this the hard way.
    I released a squirrel here 6 years ago.
    I was told in advance to stop feeding the outside squirrels.
    I thought to myself, they ALL get along so well, I can't do that,
    they will be just fine when I add one more.
    Well they weren't they chased him and a couple of days later, he
    came home with a broken leg. He recouped and was rereleased.
    About a week later I actually witnessed a female chasing him and
    attacking. He came back in for another week.

Word of caution, they already have your territory, and don't easily
    accept any others in. The only way to correct this is to stop feeding,
    so they disperse.
    Hard as it may be, it's easier than seeing your little one chased off or injured.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

ghilliegirl21 (05-31-2016)

Thanks for the update.
    Just a word of caution. If you are releasing on your property, you MUST stop feeding all the squirrels.
    I know only too well how hard this will be.
    Your little girl is more competition for them, I learned this the hard way.
    I released a squirrel here 6 years ago.
    I was told in advance to stop feeding the outside squirrels.
    I thought to myself, they ALL get along so well, I can't do that,
    they will be just fine when I add one more.
    Well they weren't they chased him and a couple of days later, he
    came home with a broken leg. He recouped and was rereleased.
    About a week later I actually witnessed a female chasing him and
    attacking. He came back in for another week.

Word of caution, they already have your territory, and don't easily
    accept any others in. The only way to correct this is to stop feeding,
    so they disperse.
    Hard as it may be, it's easier than seeing your little one chased off or injured.
    Oh I always stop feeding them all when I'm going to release! I stop about two weeks before. I've seen how grumpy they can get with their own semi-grown children and others, so I'm always careful to give my babies less possibility of getting attacked by the grown ups. There's a very obvious hierarchy and I wanted her to see it, which is what I meant by my last poorly worded statement haha. None of the wild squirrels have been fed by my house since my last post (and that was just my boy, and once...who now does seem a bit offended by my not paying attention to hIs hungry (not) belly!) it's cleared out a bunch. I have a huge yard and my release spot isn't where they all tend to congregate. While visiting with her another squirrel came up and she moved away and hid, so I think she may have witnessed something that told her to be wary. ive seen how wrong things can go and I'm always as careful as I can possibly be! Thank you for your reply!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12