Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bloated, hard, firm tummy...help!!!!

Default Bloated, hard, firm tummy...help!!!!

Hi everyone!
    I have an 8 week old little girl that has a hard/bloated tummy. I'm wondering, before I bother my vet, if I could get some input from you all!
    She's been with us for 2 weeks (her mama was found dead in a tree, we think hawk) She's doing well, feisty and playful, eating like a champ, but her tummy worries me. I'm afraid to feed her too much since her stomach already feels so big/firm!
    She's pottying often and all looks normal, no constipation, good color. In all of my rescues I've never had this happen unless it was constipation, but it's certainly not that! Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, by myself and by Miss Baby Willow!
    Thank you!

Default Re: Bloated, hard, firm tummy...help!!!!

What are you feeding her?
    Is she still on formula?
    What are her poops like? I mean are they dark and
    hard at all? OR just normal like you said?

How much does she weigh, and can you
    post a picture?
    You can give her simethicone, Gas X, infant's Gas Relief Drops.
    Give a couple of drops and see if that helps.

She is still on formula, Fox Valley 20/50.
    Her poops are not hard at all, very normal mustardy colored.
    My scale broke, I'm waiting for one in the mail so I'm not entirely sure on weight.
    I will post a picture as soon as I get out of work! It doesn't LOOK bad, but it feels so hard. And she is always ravenous, more-so than any baby I've ever had, so I wondered maybe about worms...but again, this particular problem is new to me!
    I'll try the drops and see if that helps any, I appreciate it!

Another thing to consider is the amount that you're feeding. Because she is ravenous she's probably overeating. Almost all baby squirrels will over eat is given a chance. She should be fed 5-7% of body weight to start. As she gets older or adapts to the formula she should be able to handle more without bloating. I would feed her less volume more often. An 8 week old can go 6 hours or more between feedings. You might need to move the frequency up some because she's so hungry. Poor little girl.

I would definitely try to avoid bloat because it can be deadly. How often are you feeding and how much? You will need a weight to determine the proper amount.
    When your scale arrives, it will help a lot.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

ghilliegirl21 (05-08-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    Another thing to consider is the amount that you're feeding. Because she is ravenous she's probably overeating. Almost all baby squirrels will over eat is given a chance. She should be fed 5-7% of body weight to start. As she gets older or adapts to the formula she should be able to handle more without bloating. I would feed her less volume more often. An 8 week old can go 6 hours or more between feedings. You might need to move the frequency up some because she's so hungry. Poor little girl.

I would definitely try to avoid bloat because it can be deadly. How often are you feeding and how much? You will need a weight to determine the proper amount.
    When your scale arrives, it will help a lot.
    I'm sure to not let her overeat. I know the little ones will tend to overeat anyway, but she just never seems satisfied! I've done smaller amounts. She had been on her own for a bit, I think, between us finding her and mom passing (SHE found us, I should say. Climbed right up my neighbors leg. Broke my heart!) Part of me wonders if she was so hungry for so long that she's terrified of being without. May be a "too complicated for animal thought," but I think they feel and understand more than people give them credit for!
    I'm anxious for my scale. I contacted another rehabber I do work with to get her opinion/use of her scale, but I haven't heard back. She's a hard one to reach!
    Right now she's getting about 3-4cc every 4-5 hours. She's also got access to monkey biscuits, squash, avocado, and broccoli. She'll wake up and munch. She gets angry with me when I stop the formula, but calms down. I tried to get some pictures, but it was hard to keep her still! She's thriving so much and doing so well except for that belly!

Here are some pics that I could get. I tried to get a belly shot, but like I said, it's hard to see. I may be just being overly paranoid, but for the time I have them, these are my babies! Part of me wonders if she may be a grand-baby!Name:  b41bf207-bad3-4377-a69c-b16362fe2381.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  25.3 KBName:  IMG_1114.JPG
Views: 117
Size:  74.8 KBName:  IMG_1120.JPG
Views: 99
Size:  98.6 KB

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ghilliegirl21 from:

Rocky1 (05-08-2016)

You can get a inexpensive kitchen scale at a place like Wal-Mart for about $15. If you do not have the infant Gas-X, you should pick some of that up while you are there, or maybe you have already given her a couple drops?

How much does she eat at each feeding? Edit: I missed it earlier but see it now... "Right now she's getting about 3-4cc every 4-5 hours"

She is adorable!
    Last edited by Spanky; 05-08-2016 at 05:30 PM.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

ghilliegirl21 (05-09-2016)

That's very odd. I don't know where you're located but even in the south where squirrels are much smaller an 8 week old would weigh well over 100g and would be taking probably 10cc or more per feeding. 3-4cc is way too little for one that size. I wonder why her belly is so big. Is she filling up on solid food?

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

ghilliegirl21 (05-08-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    That's very odd. I don't know where you're located but even in the south where squirrels are much smaller an 8 week old would weigh well over 100g and would be taking probably 10cc or more per feeding. 3-4cc is way too little for one that size. I wonder why her belly is so big. Is she filling up on solid food?
    I know. That's why I am so lost. I feel like I'm not feeding her enough, never had a squirrel that age eat so little...that's why I'm so afraid! I wish I could have you feel her belly. She's doing so well otherwise! She is eating solids throughout the day and has liked them...but still even with solids she should be taking more formula! I'm going to talk to my vet tomorrow. Also contacted my mentor but she's out of state.
    I live in New England, and she comes straight out of my backyard! She is so perfect in every other way. From pottying to play. I'm just baffled!

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    You can get a inexpensive kitchen scale at a place like Wal-Mart for about $15. If you do not have the infant Gas-X, you should pick some of that up while you are there, or maybe you have already given her a couple drops?

How much does she eat at each feeding? Edit: I missed it earlier but see it now... "Right now she's getting about 3-4cc every 4-5 hours"

She is adorable!
    She is adorable!
    I didn't even think of Walmart for the scale. I've had my current one for ages, as soon as I realized it was broken I panicked and jumped on Amazon haha. She's had a couple drops of gas-x and I'll keep everyone posted on that! Again, I'm just baffled! I know she's hungry and I want to feed her more but it's so unnerving to feel her already hard stomach firming up more! I've dealt
    with constipation but everything is else is so perfect. She doesn't appear to be in pain or in any discomfort. I fall so in love with every baby and I just want the best for her! I so appreciate everyone's feedback so far!!

Update: Got my scale!
    Miss Willow weighs 166g.
    GasX didn't seem to help...as of yet, anyway, but gave her a couple drops again this morning.
    She ate 5cc this morning and would have eaten more, but again the firmness is scaring me!
    Have a call into my vet but haven't gotten a response.
    Pottying is all still normal and abundant!
    I don't want to under-feed her, but I'm so afraid of this tummy! I've decided the best way to explain her tummy is that it feels how a puppy with worms stomach would feel...could it be that? I've dealt with cat bites/scratches, broken limbs, MBD from people who think anybody can raise a squirrel..but never anything like this!

It definitely could be worms. She might be full of tapeworms. They can be massive. Ask your vet about this. It wouldn't hurt to treat her anyway.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

If it is tapeworms you can buy the medication at feed stores or tractor and supply. I'm not sure about dosing for that small of a baby, but I think the label breaks it down for kittens as well. I hope you can get this resolved soon.

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    If it is tapeworms you can buy the medication at feed stores or tractor and supply. I'm not sure about dosing for that small of a baby, but I think the label breaks it down for kittens as well. I hope you can get this resolved soon.
    I'm a manager at 7 store pet store...fairly certain we have that! My money paid job certainly comes in handy for my love paid job 😊 Have instant access to syringes and esbilac until my FV comes, rodent block until my monkey biscuits come...it's literally been a life saver more than once! I'll see what I've got in stock. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ghilliegirl21 View Post
    Update: Got my scale!
    Miss Willow weighs 166g.
    GasX didn't seem to help...as of yet, anyway, but gave her a couple drops again this morning.
    She ate 5cc this morning and would have eaten more, but again the firmness is scaring me!
    Have a call into my vet but haven't gotten a response.
    Pottying is all still normal and abundant!
    I don't want to under-feed her, but I'm so afraid of this tummy! I've decided the best way to explain her tummy is that it feels how a puppy with worms stomach would feel...could it be that? I've dealt with cat bites/scratches, broken limbs, MBD from people who think anybody can raise a squirrel..but never anything like this!
    Your little one should be eating between ~8-12 mls of formula every feeding.
    She needs the nutriton.
    Worms will also sap nutrition.
    How many times daily does she get formula?
    Is she on solids as well.
    If she is peeing and pooping fine, I would gradually increase the formula
    especially since she still wants more.
    She does not look bloated to me, but worms could be a possibility.
    Can you get a fecal sample done?

Deworming certainly isn't going to harm her, and hopefully it will cure whatever
    the hardness is.
    There tummy should feel like a balloon after they are finished eating.
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 05-09-2016 at 03:59 PM.

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Nancy in New York:

ghilliegirl21 (05-10-2016), Mel1959 (05-09-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Your little one should be eating between ~8-12 mls of formula every feeding.
    She needs the nutriton.
    Worms will also sap nutrition.
    How many times daily does she get formula?
    Is she on solids as well.
    If she is peeing and pooping fine, I would gradually increase the formula
    especially since she still wants more.
    She does not look bloated to me, but worms could be a possibility.
    Can you get a fecal sample done?

Deworming certainly isn't going to harm her, and hopefully it will cure whatever
    the hardness is.
    There tummy should feel like a balloon after they are finished eating.
    She is getting formula more often that I'd usually give a baby her age. Smaller amounts every 3-5 hours. She has access to monkey biscuits all day, and some fruit and veggies in the morning and afternoon.
    My vet, I learned this morning, is out of town. There isn't anyone else in her practice and no one around here that has any desire to work with the crazy squirrel ladies of the area. I am going to attempt a dewormer. Does anyone have any suggestion as to what kind? Ivermectin I know some rehabbers in the area use for any parasite, and I can order some but is there anything else you'd suggest? It's humbling, and scary, to know that I don't know everything, even with the successful raising and releasing of 31 "children"!!
    Due to work, I have access to cat and dog dewormer. Wormeaze for cats, and safeguard for dogs. Should I attempt either of those or wait until I can get some ivermectin?
    Again I really appreciate everyone's valuable input! Every squirrel has an army on their side with this board, and I've been following it for years!

Quote Originally Posted by ghilliegirl21 View Post
    It's humbling, and scary, to know that I don't know everything, even with the successful raising and releasing of 31 "children"!!
    The day we think we know it all, is SCARY.
    We never stop learning, especially when we see so
    many scenarios where they are by "trial and error"; then
    the "rules" gets rewritten yet again.

I would get some Panacur.
    This is from the Wild Mammal Babies Book, see what you think.
    We can help with dosing.

[IMG][/IMG]

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

island rehabber (05-10-2016)

I just got a message from a member, who told me that her vet
    recommends Drontal.
    Can you look for that?
    I see that Amazon has it, and if you are a Prime member,
    you get it in 2 days!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ywords=Drontal

The day we think we know it all, is SCARY.
    We never stop learning, especially when we see so
    many scenarios where they are by "trial and error"; then
    the "rules" gets rewritten yet again.

I would get some Panacur.
    This is from the Wild Mammal Babies Book, see what you think.
    We can help with dosing.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Whilst doing my order today at work I found that the vendor carries panacur and Drontal! I'm ordering both for myself, and will have by Thursday! I'm going to bring in some extra, as well as ivermectin, after speaking to a couple other rehabbers in my area!
    And yes! The rules are rewritten so often it's impossible to know it all. I'm so grateful for this board! Even though I've never posted before this, I've taken away so much valuable information over the years and am learning more everyday!

28. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ghilliegirl21 from:

Nancy in New York (05-10-2016)

I just got a message from a member, who told me that her vet
    recommends Drontal.
    Can you look for that?
    I see that Amazon has it, and if you are a Prime member,
    you get it in 2 days!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ywords=Drontal

I just realized I have, in store, fenbendazole 50mg 1 gram pouches. Same active as panacur. Should I try that? And if Willow is 166g, how much should I give her if so?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast