Thread: New flickertail/RGS mom, behavior/bonding questions??

Ktompkins Guest

Question New flickertail/RGS mom, behavior/bonding questions??

Hi all! Very new here to TSB and being a RIchard Ground Squirrel mommy. I got Boonie (Lil Boo) from an exotic dealer two weeks ago, he is now 10 weeks old and I've been searching for info about these questions but I can't find any help....

I was wondering about Boo's behavior...I read that it takes a few weeks to bond and after bonding they make great pets but it seems like I'm letting him own me and not the other way around. What I mean is as far as coming out of the cage he is very hard to catch, then when I do he screams and/or bites me. I try using treats to lure him out, saying OW when he bites but it hasn't worked. Me and my partner give him lots of attention, daily exercise, and I take him around in a bonding pouch for short trips. He gets into tantrums where he screams at everything, bites, and jumps off us to run away. Is it his age? His breed? Or is it me?

Any more advice on bonding or how to deal with behavior? I just want him to be happy with me and have positive interactions with him.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 53
Size:  164.5 KB

Thank you!

Default Re: New flickertail/RGS mom, behavior/bonding questions??

. Well, I know absolutely nothing about RGS, except that he is completely adorable!. I am going to guess at some of the behavior issues, because I don't think he would be different than any animal in that regard. You say you got him from an exotic dealer. Did the dealer hand raise him? If he was hand raised, was it a male or female that did the raising? Some animals prefer one sex over the other, especially if it's what they are used to from a young age. I can say that I very rarely ever reach in the cage to get my eastern gray squirrels out. That is their territory and I think they need to feel safe in there....besides I've read lots of incidents on this forum where people were bit by squirrels they had raised for months (or years) when they stuck their hand into their cage or nest box, even when it wasn't to grab them! I think a level of trust has to be established. Go slow, let him come to you and then be calm and gentle as you deal with him. I am giving general information about how I have dealt with new little creatures in the past. I don't know anything specifically about these guys, sorry. I will tell you that most (if not all) of us on this board that have squirrels of various types, are all OWNED by them...and happily so. .

Keep us posted on your progress. Hopefully, someone else will have experience with this type of squirrel and chime in.

Ktompkins Guest

Thank you I appreciate the reply! Yes the breeder was male and said he hand raised baby Boo (also male). There haven't been any males to handle him yet but I wonder if he would be more comfortable with males? You're right about his cage being his territory, I should respect his space more however if I didn't reach in he would never come out for some out of cage play time. He's a little booger

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 30
Size:  203.3 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  508.7 KB

I understand what you're saying about him not willingly coming out of his cage. I just don't know how to get him out without traumatizing him. Maybe you need to apply the old rule about rewarding positive behavior. If you can coax him out or reach in and get him out and he doesn't bite or pitch a fit, then you give him a nut. I would think he would begin to associate the yummy nut with coming out of his cage. He sure is a cute booger, though!

Einstein Guest

Talking Re: New flickertail/RGS mom, behavior/bonding questions??

I'm new here..I'm Linda, my family n I have been handling my Einstein since April 7, 2016 ...one of his behaviors I noticed that he'll flee with the quickness if I smell clean, or laundry detergent is still "smellable" on my clothes. Let's just say he'd prefer me to roll in some dirt before my scooping him up! Lol I hope in time your lil booger will befriend you!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.