Thread: Traveling

Default Traveling

Hello Everyone,

I have not been here for quite some time now, I am trying to play catch-up

Me and Moby my 1.5 year old fox squirrel must travel in the next couple of days to the city which is an hour away for a month for work, so he will be in the car for an hour or a little less.

My question is: Will he be ok? since this is the first time for him to be in a car and travel?
    and could someone give me an idea of how he will react to a new apartment?

I just want to make sure he will be ok and healthy,

Advice pleeeeeeeeeeease

Thank you guys Name:  IMG_1516.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  235.2 KB

Default Re: Traveling

I have traveled with squirrels quite a bit and in my experience, they travel well. Mine mostly just sleep once they settle down. Does he have a travel cage? My advice to you would be to get him used to his travel cage if he has one and make sure that you put his bed and familiar things in it for the trip. And whatever you do, DO NOT use a plastic dog crate for a travel cage... I learned that the hard way and had to chase an escapee squirrel around the car!!

I also use rescue remedy to help calm them before a trip. About 30 minuets before we leave, I take a little and rub it on the ears and paw pads. I also put a drop on a piece of pecan to give after I put them in the travel cage. Hope you have a safe and uneventful trip with your little guy.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

I travel for work and bring my girl with me each week. She travels an hour twice a week in the car with me from her first home in the country to our second home in the city. She was nervous for the first two or so times, but now she knows the drill and just sleeps in her hanging pouch.

Be sure to bring stuff from home that your little guy knows well. A favorite blanket or sleeping fuzzy cube thiing and stuffed animal will help for sure.

Also, I found what helped her at first was finding little treats in the travel cage. I balled up a blanket and hide some nuts in there for her to find as she was digging around. It took her a bit to even realize there was a nut hidden in there, but she calmed down once she had something to gnaw on, too.

thanks so much to you guy's its just that he is very content at home, but due to relocation over the summer for my Job, we will have to move an hour away until July, then move back home. So I guess I was very worried about him in a car and in a new place.