Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sarcoptic Mange desperate situation

Default Re: Sarcoptic Mange desperate situation

Is there any way to provide him some sort of shelter? Even some type of fiber hamster bedding that he can use for his own nest?

To much stress to capture Winky... know him well... will medicate as soon as possible tomorrow...pray he lives though a cold night☔️⛈ by himself😿😿🐿💜💜💔

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonsquirrelygirl View Post
    Dear rehabbers,
    In 35 years I've never known a Boston Public Garden squirrel to show or survive a case of sarc. mange, usually not sarcoptic at all. It began 1 1/2 weeks ago as dull hair and looked like a few scrapes..nothing abnormal for a 70-20 degree season of moisture, and fungal issues. Suddenly skin thickening, tumors, white barnical crust covered him. No finding Ivirmectin in this area, so ordered it but could not wait. Still never showed up. Went to get it far away and admined a dose Wed. He is STILL alive. I made nutrition balls packed with food he loves..this is NOT a squirrel that can be captive...too long a story but known this 1/2 blind, stump tail alpha for many years,. Constitution of an ox. By Friday more weight loss, but suddenly yesterday big thick lump off. Open pink skin where thick skin was, less hair, hungry, eating, spry...very bald, but tumors looks smaller, climbing up his tree, looks like hell but what do you think? Has the 1st dose allowing him to pick off the mites, open the blisters of larvae...or just scraping due to itching? A second dose, if he makes it, will get the eggs. Is this raw skin a good or bad sign? Is Ivermectin working??? Or is he just ripping skin off??? If ANY squirrel is a survivor it's this guy!!! Again, never seen a case this badly developed and local MA rehabbers I had one simple question blew me off completely, sent email after email of how busy she is..could have answers in one min. Tufts would kill him, everyone does 'baby care' sanctuary's full or won't take adults, risk contagious infest. I was shocked by the NEWARC member that was so uninterested...
    SQUIRREL BOX
    In your other post, you mentioned a concern about this squirrel not having nest mates and possibly being cold. Given that this is taking place in the Boston Public Garden, I think it would be possible to put a squirrel box in a tree. And it might be possible to equip one with some fleece and a slot for a 24 hour hand warmer.

ANOTHER PROBLEM:
    The Boston Public Garden is full of squirrels, and if this is contagious mange then there's the concern about this spreading. To me, there are two problems, 1. Treating this squirrel, and 2. Protecting the others or managing the disease's spreading. (Anyone unfamiliar can google image Boston Public Garden and see that it is a large public park full of trees.)

Thank you, Rocky1, I thought the same thing about providing a nest box or fleece for him. Anything would be better than nothing, if he's alone. I did not mean he should be trapped. Your #2 point is a good one. There could be an epidemic of mange.

Rocky and Mel,
    I would not be able to put ANY squirrel or nesting box up on the trees on the city property or the BPG. The Park is privately funded, a few orgs who often contradict each other run it. Landscapers hired by the city try not to destroy the 300 year old plus donated trees, while BPG/Emerald Necklace Park 'fundraising wealthy Park overwater and root rot the trees. In ANY CASE.. not ANY chance of box or shelter nailed or pushed into a tree would not stay more than an hour ..and likely lead to a fine and being banned from the park. I have been the sole squirrel caretaker for decades which has lead the Rangers to quietly respect the work I do.....they are supposed to just let them pass away and collect the bodies, but they love them too and are pleased I am willing to help the injured animals, drive all the way to Grafton (Tufts Cummings Wildlife ER or Westborough After so many decades thet trust me but I can't place structures on the "Private Property" or City premises. That would be the end of my catering anY animal no matte now much good it might provide. I truly with I could.

Thank you for the thoughts. Winks is a VERY unusual squirrel. If you read my description of him he is welcomed, behaved and surrogated more like a co-parent sea otter male. VERY unusual for a wild male. As soon as he began to wither, become unable to fend off aggressively over active juvy males that were a threat to his baby's..he knew he was sick and left in a hurry..but went to the tree JUST at the entrance.
    he lead us to the tree outside the park gates, turning around and stopping and turning to see we were following him to this tree. He has been there ever since, He purposefully chose a place where his caretakers (me and my hubby) had followed him that park last night. He clearly led us to know where to bring food and water as he was too weak to forage. He he literally LEFT the borders of the park last Tuesday. He is in a tree planted in the brick sidewalk with a large opening where a main trunk either broke or was removed. I saw a baby rat go in today....and his extremely thin frame leads me to believe he was bitten or attacked by one of the Norwegian Rats New outside the sewers until the past few years.
    Now they are taking over squirrel trees, are out day and nights...winter, summer....afraid of nothing. The infiltrate squirrel and bird nests, that decapitated them not eating a any obvious food from the kills..when Winky became too weak to defend his clan he id not want to attract attacks.

He literally went into exile when he became a scrawny, contagious bald shadow of himself.
    The great news.. His emaciated frame is in a holding weight He is preferring and craving the homemade high nutrition food over pecan, filberts..anything treat oriented. He ate 3x as much today, came down, drank copious amounts of water after the annoying youngsters cleared away , and I saw him turn and posture, and defend himself!
    Will be bring him his second dose tomorrow as suggested and PRAY these rats in the tree d not bite or nibble in him if they have not already.

Pray for my best guy

Thank you, bostonsquirrelygirl, for that explanation. Mr. Winks is so lucky to have you caring and looking out for him. If he postured himself for defense once maybe he will do the same if a rat intimidates him. It makes me very sad that he is in exile. . It's wonderful to hear that he is choosing your nutritious offerings. How many more doses of medication does he need? You mentioned he goes into a hollowed tree. I assume the hole is too high to stuff any sort of fiber bedding into it? I'm not even sure Mr. Winks would leave it in there, but just thinking it might be undetectable, if you could, and if he did. Please keep us updated on his progress. Bless you.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

SquirrelSense (05-04-2016)

My ideas for a warm place to stay:
    -Just putting a squirrel box in a tree: It sounds like the Park Rangers have been watching you which probably eliminates this route for you. In my experience the park rangers are most watchful when the park is closed and least watchful during busy times of day when the park is packed full of people. In college, some friends of mine, a group of college girls climbed trees and got away with it. It may depend on who it is that climbs the tree and how visible the squirrel box is or isn't.
    -Alternatively, perhaps a small special event could be held where "bird houses" are temporarily placed on a couple trees. The event could be a celebration of Garden for Wildlife Month (which is May). To do that, I think filling out the Special Event Application may suffice, http://www.cityofboston.gov/Parks/permits/ I could call and inquire if you like.
    -This ALL begs the question of whether or not the weather is really much of an issue, and how long it will be an issue. We are cold, but are the squirrels cold?

Addressing Disease Spreading:
    -Dogs, and other animals frequent the Boston Garden too, and might be a better excuse to address a manage problem. If a domestic animal were to get mange from the Boston Garden, I suspect that the city would address it. However, I think it could potentially be counterproductive to mention squirrels and mange because that could be used as an excuse to kill squirrels (in the Garden or elsewhere). Rats and mange could work too.

FYI - Just as a helpful tip, in my experience, the easier the post is to read and the shorter it is, the more people read it on this forum. Again, my intention is to be helpful as I very much appreciate what you are doing.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rocky1 from:

SquirrelSense (05-04-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky1 View Post
    My ideas for a warm place to stay:
    -Just putting a squirrel box in a tree: It sounds like the Park Rangers have been watching you which probably eliminates this route for you. In my experience the park rangers are most watchful when the park is closed and least watchful during busy times of day when the park is packed full of people. In college, some friends of mine, a group of college girls climbed trees and got away with it. It may depend on who it is that climbs the tree and how visible the squirrel box is or isn't.
    -Alternatively, perhaps a small special event could be held where "bird houses" are temporarily placed on a couple trees. The event could be a celebration of Garden for Wildlife Month (which is May). To do that, I think filling out the Special Event Application may suffice, http://www.cityofboston.gov/Parks/permits/ I could call and inquire if you like.
    -This ALL begs the question of whether or not the weather is really much of an issue, and how long it will be an issue. We are cold, but are the squirrels cold?

Addressing Disease Spreading:
    -Dogs, and other animals frequent the Boston Garden too, and might be a better excuse to address a manage problem. If a domestic animal were to get mange from the Boston Garden, I suspect that the city would address it. However, I think it could potentially be counterproductive to mention squirrels and mange because that could be used as an excuse to kill squirrels (in the Garden or elsewhere). Rats and mange could work too.

FYI - Just as a helpful tip, in my experience, the easier the post is to read and the shorter it is, the more people read it on this forum. Again, my intention is to be helpful as I very much appreciate what you are doing.
    Just FYI, mange mites are species specific - that is, mange mites on a squirrel won't invade a dog and dog mange mites don't go for squirrels.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Rocky1 (05-04-2016), SquirrelSense (05-04-2016)

You are all wonderfully supportive and I am praying in this 3 degree colder day Winks is there. His spine is like a razor. Re Ivermec., Winks has only had the 1st dose 4/26. He gets the next as soon as I can get there ASAP.

When I FINALLY get a photo album together you will see why in the mobs of tourists, dog walkers, security for expensive, (we are 3 blocks from the Boston Marathon Bombing..so police everywhere... hotels, students and plain 'busy bodies' I can't do a thing to public or private property without a public insane confrontations unsolicited and unrelenting! We had a ranger stabbed last year so even their presence is away down.

Yesterday..on the ground shielding Winks.., making space from other animals for him to drink/eat and small pats on his head, about the 3rd person this week hollered "YOU CANT FEED THE SQUIRRELS! They carry RABIES!! Your crazy lady!!! I hope it bites you!(PS its posted no bikes, DO NOT FEED MIGRATING BIRDS, no off leash dogs) not a word re squirrels in since 1837.

Last year one of the sweetest momma squirrels had a horrible heard injury from being kicked by a teen showing off! (hint I was on under my old name??) This took 3 days of 11-15 hours in the scalding heat to capture her, (they DO NOT know metal so Have a Heart Traps are useless) and sound of metal says 'dog tags/chain leash to them. She scared at me scaring her and threatening in front of her entire family "i'm calling the cops!!! Your STEALING squirrels from the Park you LUNATIC! I finally said "she's going to Tufts WILDLIFE!!! (there was no WAY animal control, police, ARL..anyone would do anything as usual)
    I'm not STEALING a squirrel!!! Mind your business please this is an emergency. "DO you want to see her?! Her head is blown up..she's dying!!!!" All this nasty women making a GREAT example for her 3 young kids chiming in said was ''OH..she is sick"
    After 10 min she "allowed us to pass with her phone poised out to call police!!"

I was up to my elbows in Kevlar gloves..obviously not a robber..and a nice women was helping us corner Old Grey to gently cover and swadde without further damage. As many know..even sick, squirrels can jump straight up/run like mad from adrenalin.

So this is what I deal with rescuing! Even giving extra nutrition to orphans. YOU'RE FEEDING THEM..I'M CALLING THE COPS! (usually after demanding they get a dog from attacking them off-leash so they defer the law breaking by making up an issue re the squirrels or calling them overfed city rats.

Winks' tree is virtually 3 feet from the strret in an old tree in the middle of a narrow 4 ft sidewalk at a main crossing. Hundreds of commuters, bikers...blah blah.

Must go to my regal fighting Prince!!!!
    THANK YOU ALL!!! Will update!🐿💜🐿💜🌰🙏🙏🙏

Sorry I don't have time to take down the duplicate..maybe the admin can.. I HAVE to run..but please understand.. WINKY is in a tree highly lit at the crosswalk on BOYLSTON ST.! He is Not in the park. I would be arrested. Police and secret serve are posted feet away at the 4 Seasons.

He is NOT technically inside the park now....

NEW LOCATION - ACROSS FROM BOSTON GARDEN IN BUSY AREA - Foot traffic and cars :-(
    Yep, the corner of Arlington Street and Boylston Street has a lot of foot traffic (what you would expect of midtown Manhattan) during rush hours, and is under heavy surveillance due to the expensive hotels and shops nearby. There are hoards of people, and many jump to conclusions and say offensive things.

The only remedy to that that I can think of would be to get another person to come along*. If someone comes along, they might stand a distance away from you as to NOT draw additional attention. But they could stand close enough to be within hearing distance to respond to any passerby who absolutely requires a response. This way your talking wouldn't scare the squirrel. Something like, (in a calm and firm tone) she's a wildlife rehabilitator doing her job, might take care of some loud people who intend to escalate matters by calling authorities, etc. Anyone who's just being a jerk and continuing on their way (not complaining to anyone) can probably just be ignored. It may or may not be easier to place the medication where the squirrel can get to it and then watch from a distance. Also, if you have a person along, if they spot an officer, they can approach him or her and ask directions, pointing in a direction away from you, taking any attention away from what you are doing.

This, IMO, is a bad place for a squirrel, but know the intelligence and cleverness of these fuzzbutts all to well to give up hope. I'm glad you are willing to help a creature in need even when it is not easy to do so.

(*Ideally someone dressed in business attire who strangers might read as a manager.)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bo...!4d-71.0588801

Shhhhhheez! Yeah Rocky...Been there! In the 80's I was more on my own, then my first husband and an INCREDIBLY knowledgeable oncology manager and animal rehabber...now my second husband. Seems like the more entitled the neighborhood gets the worse it gets. Some twit who 'donated' to Friends of the Park suddenly has the 'right' to have their off leash dogs attack..insult people especially anyone who KNOWS taxonomy..that a rat and a squirrel, a rabbit and a raccoon are..UM DIFFERENT! Know NO history of the park and that a mayor actually had fund to protect them when the park was established. Sad.

It was great the other day meeting a boy who remembered me from his childhood care-taking squirrels! I get that a lot...feel old, but its is a consistency someone still cares.

Today..Winky came BOUNDING down the sidewalk as I got out the water tray and rocks to weight it (so it doesn't flip on him). I gave him the medicated pecan and I promise..he was saying..as he looked at me with his Popeye one good squinky eye..."HEY MOM..where are my yummy greasy balls???? I want that yummy easily pre mashed goop of goodness!" As soon as he finished his medicated pecan he ate all 6.5 of 7 balls! They are a but larger than a nickel in diameter. He allowed me to take the free greasy hands with the coconut and nut oils and get a bit on his rough skin...just hoping but maybe it will such those patches of crusty skin. He is not like best of others that sit on my lap or cuddle on my neck so did not try and 'rub' oil in..but his entry blows my mind.

Of COuRSE within 3 min...not drizzle..not rain..torrential downpour!!!! With 2 hip replacements and the rest of my pinned together spine, crouching over a 3oz Wink's on the ground near the trunk and he ate and ate. I was protecting him as he pressed down so hard I could feel his incisors....Trying to gather another ball, get the curious babies away...see through the rain and keep my doll dry. I have hope! even if this mange is another disease involved..Mr.Winks is SO much more comfortable..is utterly sure he is loved..racing to mommy and daddy....I hope I see you tomorrow dear heart.. You are my hero!! BTW how girlfriend..my best buddy Gwenzy comes out of the park to see us...I can't stop her because winks is her Beau and I rehabbed her shattered hip. AMAZING! She is so concerned for him..but she leaves when I call her to go when he comes in.. OK. MUST go. AGAIN.. If anyone can tell me how to delete these images in the main folder to create ones for the profile... I can't do it on this site. there is NO way to delete/replace/create a new album intuitively. All I can do is "add image' but it won't add any at all.
    Last edited by island rehabber; 05-05-2016 at 07:54 AM. Reason: request of author - typo

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SquirrelSense from:

Rocky1 (05-04-2016)

Ok... For now I found a way to post a combo of pics and short films up to this link,
    https://goo.gl/photos/322AomHYSHxDLxN46

Please note Winky always had a blind cataract right eye and after nut attacks from dogs, finally a stump tap. These images began in Late March & by April he has dying and it never had the fat blisters of pox. Lyme and wets, crusts from scratched scabs. Note his hair and weight all ply mites in the past 3 weeks. So again first ivermectin was 4/26.. In days his energy returned, began responding, leaving to find water and eating the nutrition by double within a week. The last pictures at the bottom are shocking. You can see me touching and soothing him..unusual as he was easily surprised with the blind eye. A few red marks I'm guessing as the eggs are not dead he is scratching. He just got dose 2 yesterday but the damn weather is bitter cold and rainy.. Days of it with no end in sight.

So if you click in a pic or movie and go to the ! M it maybe an info icon mark. If I did not write a description it has the date.

Hope this helps for those asking to see Winky.. The tree outside the park he moved to, etc. pray for sun.. Pray for Winky!!

And thank you all for your caring and support

Poor Winky! He is VERY ill. Has the improvement you saw after the first Ivermectin treatment continued? I can see why some folks thought this was Pox, that looks like a very bad reaction to Mange, worse than usual. He could even have both Pox and than Mange if his immune system is really compromised?

But if he is continuing to improve on the Ivermectin than I think that and some nutritional help and fresh water might help him regain his strength and his immune system.

He has an incredible amount of trust in you! It must be a hard life living in the city like that. I bet so many people walk by and do not even give hims second glance.

Winky

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonsquirrelygirl View Post
    Ok... For now I found a way to post a combo of pics and short films up to this link,
    https://goo.gl/photos/322AomHYSHxDLxN46

Please note Winky always had a blind cataract right eye and after nut attacks from dogs, finally a stump tap. These images began in Late March & by April he has dying and it never had the fat blisters of pox. Lyme and wets, crusts from scratched scabs. Note his hair and weight all ply mites in the past 3 weeks. So again first ivermectin was 4/26.. In days his energy returned, began responding, leaving to find water and eating the nutrition by double within a week. The last pictures at the bottom are shocking. You can see me touching and soothing him..unusual as he was easily surprised with the blind eye. A few red marks I'm guessing as the eggs are not dead he is scratching. He just got dose 2 yesterday but the damn weather is bitter cold and rainy.. Days of it with no end in sight.

So if you click in a pic or movie and go to the ! M it maybe an info icon mark. If I did not write a description it has the date.

Hope this helps for those asking to see Winky.. The tree outside the park he moved to, etc. pray for sun.. Pray for Winky!!

And thank you all for your caring and support
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

SquirrelSense (05-06-2016)

Pete, do you think Mr. Winks condition might improve with some valacyclovir for pox? If you feel it would, I'd be happy to send a couple pills to Bostonsquirrelygirl, if someone could help her dose them.

21. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

SquirrelSense (05-06-2016), TubeDriver (05-05-2016)

Poor Winky!!! Seeing the pics and videos made me cry, he has been through so much! I am so thankful he has someone like you taking care of him. Bless his little heart he needs all the help he can get. I hope the meds help him and he recovers from this. I just have to say I admire you for helping him and making sure he has food and water. My faith in humanity is renewed!
    "A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song"

23. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Sara in NW MS:

Mel1959 (05-05-2016), SquirrelSense (05-06-2016)

Thanks for the kind offer! I think Bostonsquirrelygirl is pretty sure it is Mange and not Pox and she is there on-site and a very experienced squirrel person so not sure this would help? BSG can PM you if she feels it would help, we can help with dosing if that is needed?

The Ivermectin should start making a difference pretty soon, poor Winky will definitely need a full three doses and perhaps even some additional doses later on. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that he will make it and not get a serious secondary infection from all the irritated and compromised skin. The food and water that BSG is providing is probably making all the difference in helping Winky keep up his strength. I hope they get some decent weather soon (dry and temperate) because it must be absolutely miserable to live like that in the cold rain.

At least it looks like Winky has a nice, wooded park nearby to call his own and some loyal friends!

Winky

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Pete, do you think Mr. Winks condition might improve with some valacyclovir for pox? If you feel it would, I'd be happy to send a couple pills to Bostonsquirrelygirl, if someone could help her dose them.

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Mel1959 (05-05-2016), SquirrelSense (05-06-2016)

Thank you again. I hope you all can see how obnoxious the difference is when I'm feeling to lousy to be at a real computer... Where words like computer suddenly change to cucumber.

So the major issue today was being as brilliant and fast learners as squirrels are I have gone directly to Winkies tree what we arrive.,the squirrels trained to listen and see us swarm to me and Malcolm. I waited for 15 min getting every squirrel but Winks. At first I thought 'could I have overdosed him? Where is he... Maybe all this chaos is keeping him inside. Well it was. Mal and I let the pregnant and other perfectly healthy moms away so they are not exposed. Mal kept glancing and that tiny guy with his bunny puff tail stump came crawling down from a higher limb. I raced over and my doll came out, marked the tree with this fave and came down to eat and eat!!! The it looked like he was headed out to the park and we grabbed his fresh water we put at the base and he came right back. He got a great couple intakes of water and one last pecan half. Hoping he is well enough to trim his incisors. . So today..,rainy, crummy, we looked at him and boney we both swear he looked better. No more missing fur.. Maybe little wisps exept on the spine. Those scratches are not so red and raw and the prayer remains... his organ has not become a matastisized organ failure or leukemia or anemia. He's tiny but tough and lord knows he is aware we adore him. Luke the postman... sleet, snow, freezing rain or sun.. We love our babe. Now there is Abby with a cheek access as large as her face and pregnant. Too fast to catch.

But for today...Winks lives!!! Love you all for your support💜🐿💜🐿💜🐿💜🐿

Quote Originally Posted by Sara in NW MS View Post
    Poor Winky!!! Seeing the pics and videos made me cry, he has been through so much! I am so thankful he has someone like you taking care of him. Bless his little heart he needs all the help he can get. I hope the meds help him and he recovers from this. I just have to say I admire you for helping him and making sure he has food and water. My faith in humanity is renewed!

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SquirrelSense from:

island rehabber (05-06-2016)

Sounds like Winky is moving in the right direction under your care!

-Grateful Dead

Oh dear, besides need an admin to clean up last the post I wrote on mini device hell I can't see (I.e. 'Like' the postman came out as Luke... ( really am dyslexic and have all dosing and math quadruple checked on medical calculator by my husband so don't worry. My squirrel board notes don't reflct my anal diligence!
    But this is really awful, Mr.Winks has a total trust with me. Last night starting with horrible chills and fever like symptoms. Normally a temp dies not read as it would for non -immune suppressed patients lie me. Our white count looks "normal" same with temp. It hides inflammation etc.. As transplant sees of chemo are meant to. Well lucky Claudia🌡Fever between 102/3 which is like 3 degrees higher for you. (Why I walked around after surgery w/staph no be found till a mass began to blow up at my brain stem years later.... ' like many with green disabilities I get the 'u don't look sick to me'
    I hope Malcolm will leave me at the hospital and do anything to feed Winks, get down in the dirt like me. Sorry my normal device illegible post was worse from a fever! What to do? I'm burning up but if he misses one feeding it's curtains! I'd rather risk me, go see him at 2 or 3 and possibly get sicker. I'd rather feed him and risk my health. Of coarse it's not freezing rain for once There is no zoonotic disease he is presenting with I have. Plus I've been very careful, no bites or scratches and we are not sharing a water bowl☠💧(Ha ha)
    Dumb question but you would help Mr. Winks before yourself too, yes? After ALLO we've been through. Any admin write me a note if you need or want to clean up this fever driven madness. Also.. Do you think it's worth showing Wnksto an ER doc? They don't enderstand tgem as all as some vets and have me on tteatmem for lep. Or so thing. I think I should go to the ER after Winks. You? Woot fon

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast