Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sarcoptic Mange desperate situation

Default Re: Sarcoptic Mange desperate situation

Hope you get to feeling better soon, Bostonsquirrelygirl. . Mr. Winks needs you and you need him!! . It sounds like he's doing better with your diligent care.

Good News... keep it short as I wrote this and it did not save. After waiting and calling every squirrel BUT Winks came out. Suddenly I looked as far away as possible and my husband Mal was over by the pond..one of Winky's wives.. FAV girlfriends and now mommy Bessy.. He wildly pointing..WINKS!! I ran over with his special food and got on the ground. One of the people who has read ONE squirrel book and stops every person there as 'the squirrel expert' was chucking cooked peanuts.. I thought I was going to strangle him.. That's all Winks needs..junk food and every starving squirrel mobbing him!!

This behavior has killed 12 of 13 baby duckings!.. Idiots throwing bread, and chips, junk all over the e park creating a frenzy so weaker baby animals get separated and attacked!!!

UHG!

So back to Winky..not only out of exile, but checking on his FAMILIES!!! I pray the 2 doses of Ivermectin is keeping eggs and larvae safe from the others. I can not believe with all this trauma, exile, 9 days ago too weak to climb a tree, freezing rain, rats..Winky does not look great to others..but to me he is Cassius Marcellus Clay, Muhammad Ali!!
    Not only back in the Park, but the FURTHEST tree from his exiled spot...ALL the way across the 2 lawns, 2 paths, a sidewalk and in a weeping willow by the pond with Miss. Bessy. AWWWWWW Daddy Came home. Loke a soldier with burns and scars.. but they are wounds of a proud fight he has not lost!

He has the will to cuddle with his wives, see his babies. Fight and win back the champion belt! As I mentioned I have never witnessed an Eastern Grey male co-parent like Winks..Here is hoping his fur grows back quickly. If anyone has an addition to these super nutrients for fur growth please let me know. Here is Winks last July before the 4 tail attacks, etc.. My beauty boy with the one "Squinky Eye!!"

My fever is still there..but seeing this made me feel great. Sadly weekends..are NUTS in the park so getting him down let alone idioticName:  IMG_1496.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  21.0 KB remarks about how sick he is are inevitable.

wish us luckk and keep raying for us both

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SquirrelSense from:

Rocky1 (05-06-2016)

sdeegz Guest

Wow I just went through this entire post (pics, videos, all) and I'm amazed.
    First I hope you're feeling a little better, your love & determination has saved him this far. Hats off to you, I mean it.
    It sounds like the special treats you're feeding him are a "Boo Ball" mixture, is that correct? I'm just trying to help you come up with some more options to help with his coat, build his immune system, etc.
    I think we're in the same weather pattern & he could not have had a worse week.
    Maybe some avocado for his coat & weight?
    Let me know what's in his treats & I'll try to help you come up with more from there.
    Have a good night

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to sdeegz from:

SquirrelSense (05-07-2016)

I agree avocado would be beneficial. I've also believe coconut oil or meat would be good. Are you adding Henry's vitamins or extra protein powder to the boo balls? I think that would be helpful, too. A 1/4 tsp a day of the vitamins is all they need. Thank you for doing such a good job of keeping him fed and watered.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

SquirrelSense (05-07-2016)

Hey all!!

I switch them slightly but here is the main ingredients:

Asst finely chopped walnut, pecan, filbert, purée of sweet potato, apples, some nutritional yeast for B, coconut meat and the solid Spectrum organic oil, broccoli, kale, a sticky organic nut butter like almond ... All I had the first try was crunchy peanut but not too much of that, they are really fattening and greasy so I roll them again in the finely crushed nuts. He LOVES them. With my greasy hands I try and pat him very gently to get oil on his skin. Being blind in his right eye.. For trust he keeps his blind side towards me to look out for anoying pesky juvenile squirrels, or ducks and pigeons with his good eye. I try not to scare him with unnecessary touching to spook him but I read him pretty well. He craves the mommy love when he sees me.
    Love him so much. I gave 2 of his yummy balls to a pregnant mom with a cheek abscess that has become bigger than 1/2 her head. Abby. She is to fast for any trapping.. Net anything. So sad looks like her face is going to explode ���� she needs it lanced and antibiotics but all anyone does is kill squirrels here. Last year a magnificent mom I called old grey..she wasn't old.. Just a Doyen.. Big.. Super lovey, very light color all year, an elegant refined lady... So I called her Ol' Grey. Tufts promised if I could get her they would try everything to save her. It took DAYS all day in sweltering heat till she was emaciated. She had pups and did NOT want to be caught. As payable and sweet, picking up wild squirrels know when your 'restraining' and won't trust you. Finall got to Tufts. Called for days.. No call back. Eventually to hear they killed her almost immediately that day. We say here thinking she was being checked, hydrated, maybe antibiotics. They left us hanging. They are over an hour away so this is no easy trip. Not ONE test, no X-rays. We figured she might have pneumonia.. She may have had a mass. Yeah she was nursing!!! She may have had milk, constipation.. She was smashed in the head and it was swollen. No I've fluids nothing. 5 min and dead. They have done that to every adult I've brought in. The babies that have made it are because I've taken home with formula.,we need squirrel awareness! The intake kids are students and very sweet but for the tons they get in funding it astounds me. I've been so reluctant. Sadly no one else does wildlife 'medical care' too extensive for rehabbers in MA. New England Wilslife are lovely but on a shoestring, very limited hours, and care for all kinds of animals. I've never reached them when I can catch a squirrel in the midst of 100 or more at sundown usually. The only time I bring one in is if it has to have a humane death and suffering beyond help.
    So back to balls!!! Never heard boo balls! I think he's getting a tin of protein but I'll try and order more .. But when in'ordered ivermec' A TINY bit came for 10x what I got 2 full tubes at a horse supply. Had I waited Winks would have been kind dead. Every day is a prayer and if I can get an added protein or vitamin sup for another rodent at Petco.. Please suggest. Sadly they are not rats, ferrets or Guinea pigs but a few drops of added nutrition can't hurt. I love Henry's but we need so many supplies and just getting the ivermectin, order, and finding it in western MA was 35.00. The nuts are hundreds..organic everything.. You ALL get it. Of coarse some clown crashed our parked HP car during this so we wasted so much time getting placards, toes, loner.. When it rains.... Off to make food I'm late!!! Again. THANK YOU FIR THE LOVE. So I will not see my misspellings till way after 15
    min!! Sorry about that.

I make the balls fresh so I'm hoping if the avacado goes icky he will eat it. Being Boston they usually hesitate food other than nuts. He must really understand the extra calcium and enzymes in the coconut are antibacterial. I have flown by the seat of my pants pluses caring for all the orphans and pregnant moms out of my disabled pockets. Before all my surgeries I made a decent living as a complimentatery med therapist but after my 1st husband lost the colorectal battles at 38 I lost my bus. It's a lot like taking care of Fred. Outing huge amounts of weight on him the chemo and illness took. I'm used to playing with nutrition where most docs rely solely on drugs. I can't stand sitting by watching someone I love suffer and your support out there means EVERYTHING!!! Thank you all and please friend me!! Your the best. Esp the admins putting up with my missed spelling nightmares on these tiny 'kid toys'. Smart phones are not designed for eyes over 50��������❌⭕️❌⭕️❌
    Last edited by island rehabber; 05-07-2016 at 10:06 PM.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SquirrelSense from:

Sara in NW MS (05-07-2016)

Ok Kids... Good new for YOU as well as me. Boston Squirrelygirl is on a decent computer with a keyboard made for a grown up.😺 I sent my "updated corrected spelling" version of the last post to one o f the awesome admins so you can get a handle on what I try to say when racing to write an update on a smartphone before I get logged off. I don't know if its just me... but if I am on some devices..maybe even the laptop..I get logged off in less than 15 min and often have to rewrite...Im then so late what comes out is a mess. SORRY REALLY. I look like an idiot.

So today..ASTOUNDING...we got out to the park on what is usually the worst of days for animals because every person wanting a selfie or to get CUTE photos of toddlers throwing food to animals, throwing sticks and rocks at them (really CUTE), are in droves. Its worse in sun-bathing weather...
    So we get there..thinking Wink has now started to live back in the park. Not quite so. The great news was we did not stop by the Boylston St, we saw a CROUD of squirrels near the middle of the lawn. It was evident from 5 yards away WINKS WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SQUIRREL PILE! He was under the gorgeous Kalhua's Kwanza Cherry..one of the female wives my Mormon Winks has had more than a few litters with.

Not ONLY was he not in hiding..he was interacting at total risk with every hungry squirrel being thrown peanuts by this man who I will tell you about at the end.

So Malcolm..my adoring husband who knew NOTHING of squirrels and from the start fell in LOVE this underdog/champion, Mr.Winks's! Like his brother..The more this squirrel survived, already blind in one eye from childhood, had his tail dissected 2 more inches each attack...last one bled for 2.5 months and a deformed necrotic tissue really affected his immune system, finally falling off. We would see him rolling on his back hopelessly trying to grab and groom it...but he eventually got a full winter coat. Malcolm became Winks keeper. I'd be running amok caring for broken tails, busted faces, kicked, orphaned..and Mal would be off getting Winks shelled pecans to eat due to his jaws that never were able to open a hard shell. He would break open an almond to insure his incisors did not grow too long..but Winks must have used bark. With his ever shorter tail his giant testicals wee quite the site..and he would spend 72 hours with each of the 'prima squirrelarina's', Bessy, Gwendolyn, Kalhua.. ALL large.. GORGEOUS smartest most resilient momma squirrels..who had NO tolerance for males, but all in separete trees would chase others away...welcome in WInky, and close off the knot -hole or nest. It has been a 3 year site to behold. Then this tragic mange.

So today he kept running up a tree near the Kwanza where at least 80 squirrels were jumping on me including poor Abby (the abscessed face pregnant one) and ALL of the momma's besides Bessy who we got to later. That is where Winky spent FRIDAY! With his lady in her Weeping Willow. Sadly due to these tourists and onlookers who I kept reminding, 'please, no offense..this is VERY serious..if you frighten them, feed them, I CAN not get the medicine to the sick ones.. I'm not feeding them for fun.' They would not leave.. BUT neither would Winks! Thanks to Mal..each time he was ready for another ball..he came 1/2 way down and i'd race over tho give him one. He ate till he was full but to my horror he went back to the closest tree he knows he wont be bothered..the tree outside the gate on Boylston Street tree where he isolated. Tomorrow is supposed to be 90% rain!!! DAMN DAMN DAMN! He has a little more weight!! A tiny bit more hair on the face. Any idea when he might be able to grow hair after all that mite, egg, larvae, badness and crusts of scab???

My plan is give him dose #3 on Wed. But I don't think the scratching is as much mites as dry scabby skin and whatever horrid dead bugs are subcutaneous. He was utterly sure to watch us follow him to his tree and stayed up over the entry hole for a good 8 min just eating, looking straight at us!! us in the eyes, and when done rubbing his face like a happy cat on either side to wipe his face..then up very high on one of the trunks that split off and into a very high entry. He has the energy and attitude of the old healthy guy..he just looks like hes 1/2 gone to those who don't know him due to the scabs, baldness, wrinkles and how thin a squirrel is without fur.. Plus the short tail and one milky cataract on his right blind eye make him look like he came from a zombie film, But he's ALIVE!! Beautiful! Playing and eating with others and on deaths door 17 days ago! I am hoping the whipping bike riders that almost hit us don't run over Winky..or he gets chased into traffic..or worse..some jerk thinks he has.."rabies" an kicks him since he looks so strange. I want him back with Bessy..or Gwen or Kalhua!!! I WILLL find him in the pouring rain whatever
    So this squirrel expert wanna be pontificating terribly dangerous let alone stupid info about them......

i hate 3rd part apps..thus is one I tried to upload when he got his winter coat..taken by Bessy near the pond. see how regal he was in this fall/winter.. what a 'Bad Ass!!!"

Share link to photos

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/p63ur9ldh..._gItPAVouUaYxa

So this person with nothing better to d than talk off opioids I thinks... (I was a therapist in my early training at <cLean Mental Hospital..so this is familiar behavior)..but he is in his grandiose universe causing death...
    This total want to be an authority on anything (perhaps soon to be homeless) who read "A" sciuridae book..he get's squirrels to climb on him and pretends to be the SQUIRREL authority/whisperer by reiterating 1/2 the info he hears others ask me and his total misunderstanding that he is CREATING a feeding frenzy of geese, squirrels, pigeons, rats, and risking lives of ones who are orphaned from learning naturally to begging and furthering the belief that our squirrels are aggressive vermin that jump on and attack children and picnicking tourists.
    This moron actually said..OH I read Squirrel Pox DON'T affect squirrels.. I so wanted to throttle him. When he gloms on and follows me asking..how do you spell "Zoster" or what is "SCAR-coptix" I want to yell GO AWAY YOU FREAK!!!!! He tells people where to by bulk peanuts to feed all the animals and he's insuring the demise of any animal that must fend for itself, learn to watch it's parents teach it what to eat. UGH!!!!!

I had a BIG "I know you mean well...but your chronic need to be the "Authority" on whatever has gotten 13 of 14 ducklings killed, and had I come 5 min later would NEVER have gotten the nutrition in Winky because YOU are feeding him crap!!! When I told him the damage he was creating he gave me the sad 'sad clown droopy lip face' and could not believe he just didn't get it. He needs to be the guy with all 1/18th correct info but SOUND credible throwing phrases around.

I said for 35 years Iv'e been out here not to be the "Squirrel Whisperer Lady." I've turned down dozens of interviews from Globe, Herald etc. I don't want people getting a small bit of info to try and use to harm or to use for selfies. I ONLY look and care for/befriend the ones in need. Starving, injured, at risk due to recessive gene and are white or look black...tossed from the nest. Been lucky enough to gan the trust of so many over 35 years some have worked around dental occlusion with help. But its a full time commitment.. not a hobby and Ive learned as much about them as I have my own rare auto-immune neuro-muscular disease or early colorectal-cancer that claimed my husband. This is not fun and games for attention from as its not for any of you out there. We want these beautiful intelligent creatures no one has put a ton of research or money into to survive. Its because of rehabbers and those who love this family of amazing creatures where every day is life or death 10x over who learn from each other. I'm what you could call primarily an outdoor rehabber, rare..but can be done if until medical intervention or isolation is necessary. Letting them stay in a natural environment to get treated or heal if possible without being removed, or euthanized.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    The "7-10" is timed to kill the adult mites, give the eggs a chance to hatch, and the 2nd dose kills THEM. I would do the normal dose every 7 days if I were you. You can go to 10 if you have to, but if I was dealing with him I would try to dose him tomorrow and a third dose next Wednesday.
    That was my very plan!!! Thank you!!!

Winky had first dose Wed 4-26, then again last Wed... Are you saying I should give another dose between lest We'd and this coming Wed?? I was planning every 7 days.

Here is a clip Malcolmcaught after he was out eating this the pac and after 76-7 balls made sure to lead us to the tree to find him back at the tree... Honor you can see him ok. He sat and watched us a long time before this clip eating and calls and a nut.

https://goo.gl/photos/iA24b9gZUvoFCHdM6

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to SquirrelSense from:

Rocky1 (05-08-2016)

I just read your terrible story about Tufts killing the beautiful momma squirrel. I live about an hour from Boston and have a veterinarian who will treat wild squirrels no questions asked!! I can PM contact info to you if you're interested since you drove an hour to Tufts, you probably wouldn't mind driving an hour in a more southerly direction for a vet who loves squirrels and will do as much as possible to help.

We can bring a heart of understanding and compassion to a world that needs it so much. ~~ Jack Kornfield

15. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to missPixy:

island rehabber (05-08-2016), Rocky1 (05-08-2016), SquirrelSense (05-08-2016)

Yes Miss Pixie, please message me the vets info! The only worry I need to inquire is financial. Tufts (supposedly being a teaching Wildlife hospital will care for Wildlife to learn and get state assistance I'm sure to care for MA wildlife as they are not pets.i suppose they are 'wards of the state' I should know this but alas, I don't. I fluctuate with a rare MS type auto immune neuro muscular disease I acquired in 1978 that is like a financial roller coaster. Finances for rehabbing, operations and cancer bills from my 1st husband .. Im less than fluid you might say. I'd be able to give a donation but not much else like pet bills. I don't know how vets work with wildlife costs since they are state animals. But of coarse the vet has to survive.

Either way I'd LOVE LOVE to have a vet resource and travel is not my worry. I'd go to the moon for my kids💜🐿💜🐿🌡🍼🙏
    As I've been asking you wonderful friends, please friend me so I can find you easily😻

M

sdeegz Guest

Bostonsquirrelygirl here is the Boo Ball recipe as promised:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ls-Interpreted

There are many variations/substitutions, i.e. you can use Esbilac powdered (which you can get at Petco) instead of Fox Valley, I know the Petco near me has a very good variety of high quality rodent blocks, I like to roll them in Sesame seeds for some extra calcium, you can cook them (I haven't tried that), you could put in some rodent vitamins (again Petco) for an extra boost, etc.

I will continue to think of ways to help your boy

sdeegz Guest

Also in terms of his hair regrowth, I think between the ivermectin & some good nutrition he should bounce back pretty quickly. He may have some areas that remain thin, but with his track record of resiliency, he'll be fine.

Any squirrel (pregnant, compromised in some way) can benefit from the Boo Balls, so make extra

Default Re: Sarcoptic Mange desperate situation NEED INPUT ASAP

This is just devastating.. I got your messages TOO late Squirrel Board folks.
    if I understand you correctly, a few suggested even though it's been 4 days since last dose, to medicate him,( Winky), today! That did not happen. He was last medicated last Wed, May 3rd, and today was Sunday, so I was not sure about the 'sooner than 7 days' but CLEARLY more mite eggs are hatching. He is totally paradoxical. He seems spry, but is not gaining weight and if/where he can scratch he has no fur in most areas

Being New England... weather said 90% rain... so we went out to get to Winky early..(MAYBE poor Abby with the HUGE abscessed face too). She loves the balls too. Turned out a bit windy but sunny and gorgeous!!!

I did not get any message to medicate Winky today in time, but he totally sensed us and within a few calls he popped out like a magician from where I hide his water vessel with weighting rocks under the Gate to the Park. He ran up his tree..stared at me blinking and came down for "WINK'S BOO BALLS!!"
    We were about 2 hours early so no mad frenzy of squirrels..but they are SO tuned to my voice over decades, only 3 came. One was Winky's 'squirrely girl' Kalhua..he sleeps with, the beauty in the Kwanza Cherry who they have had gorgeous babes together.. fathered (BTW NON of Winky's gal pals or compadres he was bunking with until late APRIL are showing ONE or ANY sign of mange/pox...nothing THANK MY STARS!

Winks still has a razor sharp spine but in tufts of fur he can not scratch hair seems to be growing back much longer. Other areas.. totally bald as an egg. MORE areas are losing fur and he has these little pink goose bumps that remind me of psoriasis. I am guessing he is getting more mite bites! NO this does NOT look like the balloon swollen tumors of POX. I think his immune sys had something going on JUST when the mites hit.. maybe a rat bite, the Park's dept. was laying more rat poison for new spring 'plantings', pesticides flags were up, Norwegian rats all over, dead and alive, and fertilizer..it could have weakened him at the crux of the infestation and from April 23 to 1.5 weeks later he was a balding, crusted sarcoptic mange victim. Before that he had full fur and one measly scab and thick skin over his left eye.. then WHAMMO!

Had it not been for his tenacity in general..incredible immune system..4 attacks each taking 3 inches of tail, early blindness and a jaw that fused badly when healed as a youngster, (I think his head was crushed in a dogs mouth at an early age and it infected his eye..we have seen him picked up in a slobbering dog's mouth and made a dog drop him 3x!) so yes, MULTIPLe dog attacks and still stayed the alpha male bred EVERY superior female squirrel who differed to or treated him like the king. Something special is up with Winks! Any ONE of these would have killed another squirrel, but he has thrived and bounced back (each time the ref was hitting the mat..1,2,3,..and He's UP!!! and back to boxing his way back)

PLEASE tell me if I should give another dose of Ivermectin NOW before 10 am EST tomorrow....Monday. His appetite, zest for life, willingness to come to call...get multiple feedings say.."on the mend" but losing fur, more discomforts...it's looking sort of better ..sort of worse..true dichotomy.

One HUGELY important issue. Winks always needed shelled nuts due to incisors that at times grew too long. It always looked on the verge. Then he gets his teeth rasped down on wood, I assume, since he can not open his jaws too well. Not enough to be true occlusion, or he's be dead, he has used wood more than shells to rasp just enough to keep them from cutting through his lips, palate, etc. Whatever blinded him also made it very hard to hold a nut...he will try a 1/2 cracked almond but nothing harder. Just try, but he will only bury it. His jaws have never opened enough to hold a walnut or pecan..but today looking up..his upper incisors from below..he was not just chewing. His upper incisors were long, he was side-to-side grinding in the same grinding my husband had during the last hours of cancer death throws in pain. I know that jaw grinding pain..it's the same in ALL animals in pain. He was shivering..but wanted to keep popping out and looking at us..eating more. His appetite and thirsts, rolling in mulch to clean..all in tact. Then he would come get a ball.. He is hanging on SO hard. My gut says give hime ivermectin and kill those thousands of ever erupting mite eggs and larvae.

Here is today
    https://goo.gl/photos/rknztJEa1ozu9w3m7

My vent for the night...he is trying so hard.. My life is almost imploding, critical errands and health issues to cope with I am trying to fit between taking care of Winks. As the quotes say.. when you take on a life it is your responsibility and I am NOT giving up on Winks. To a friend who mentioned it..I DO have powdered pup goat Esbilac and will add to the Boo Balls)..but to have anyone insult him breaks me..he is a champion and would have died 2 weeks ago if not for our love for him, your support and his will.. He is beautiful! And his legacy will be the babies that are now 1-3 weeks old all over the park. Better.. he lives to rear them too. We KNOW how valuable adults who have lived longer than 2 years in the wild can be!! His gals are 2-5 years..Winks is probably 3-5 years.
    Ignorant passers bye won't leave, stop and stare and scare him in a condescending tone saying "he has RABIES". All l I can do is sternly state "your misinformed, squirrels would die from rabies before getting to a human... and please back away so I can give him his medicated food". He surely FEELS the contempt. I see when people leave he rests in my hands...goes for a drinks, out to other trees in the park...he is NOT acting sick. When he has 4 or so 'boo balls' he gets tired. Rests to digest. Today he REALLY wanted a sun bath and the area that is looking bad again that was where the 'lump' of eggs under leather skin was red and acne looking again. After a few hours of rest on a branch, sun baths, water, more boo balls it looked like the sun dried or helped it. Good 'ol vit D!
    Please write back

BSG, I reread this post.....not every word, but the admins. suggestions, and I do not see where anyone suggested dosing sooner than every 7 days. A post was made on 5/3 by CM suggesting dosing on the next day which would be Wed 5/4, followed by another dose on the following Wed 5/11. I might have missed another's suggestion of dosing sooner, but I think you should be sure before you dose again. I understand the ivermectin is pretty nasty stuff.

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

TubeDriver (05-09-2016)

Doses should be spaced at 7-10 days apart. First one kills adult mites, second dose kills eggs that hatched in the last 7-10 days and the third dose is really just for good measure to make sure no stragglers survived (also in nest). I have NEVER heard of dosing Ivermectin in 4 day intervals and since it is a potent neurotoxin with a fairly long half life, I would not reduce dosing intervals to below 7 days especially in a fairly ill squirrel like Winky.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    BSG, I reread this post.....not every word, but the admins. suggestions, and I do not see where anyone suggested dosing sooner than every 7 days. A post was made on 5/3 by CM suggesting dosing on the next day which would be Wed 5/4, followed by another dose on the following Wed 5/11. I might have missed another's suggestion of dosing sooner, but I think you should be sure before you dose again. I understand the ivermectin is pretty nasty stuff.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Mel1959 (05-09-2016)

Thank you I thought there were some staggered answeres to older questions. I am guessing it was a flip back from an earlier page.

The first two doses have not stopped the mange completely and hair loss is worse on hind lags, new goose bumpy spots in sides chest and gimpy. The original spot that looked like crusty dry skin over his left eye, became think and leathery, scraped off to a raw patch looks bad again. He is not putting on much is any weight.

I will not dose him till Wed. That will be the 3rd 7 day dose. His appetite is great. His will amazing but looks so week, bald, timely and little red sores instead of the ****e barnacles.

Truly I know he needs IV fluids and soothing treatments for his skin but it won't happen with him. He was skittish and feisty as a young man before this and capture would require a medical isolation and an MD that would not kill him if the stress didn't do it first. He's too lively not to pull out tubes etc. Anesthesia when he is probably 1/2 his normal weight would be risky. I must trust in the balls and pray that eventually the layers of eggs and larvae die. I see him scratch with his hind legs so he's still got them under his skin. His lively bright 'eye', jaunts across the yard, up and down the tree are such a conflict to his diminishing fur and size. The shivering and grinding really brought me back to my husbands cancer pain at the end though. I haven't cried this hard since 2011/12

Please refer to yesterday's images on a link in the post to see his appearance, and thanks for clarifying any misreading the smaller device. Don't worry...

Something seemed off and he has not and will not be dosed before Wed.
    Pray for Winks.

sdeegz Guest

I agree with other comments re only giving the ivermectin every 7 days. It makes sense that it would be looking worse in spots because the ivermectin is hitting the pasasite at different stages. Like I said in the PM, we might want to consider an antibiotic for him after the ivermectin treatment - I'm sure he's picked up some sort of secondary infection at this point or even an antifungal due to all of the rain & dampness we've had.

26. Serious fuzzy thank you's to sdeegz from:

Mel1959 (05-09-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonsquirrelygirl View Post
    Yes Miss Pixie, please message me the vets info! The only worry I need to inquire is financial. Tufts (supposedly being a teaching Wildlife hospital will care for Wildlife to learn and get state assistance I'm sure to care for MA wildlife as they are not pets.i suppose they are 'wards of the state' I should know this but alas, I don't. I fluctuate with a rare MS type auto immune neuro muscular disease I acquired in 1978 that is like a financial roller coaster. Finances for rehabbing, operations and cancer bills from my 1st husband .. Im less than fluid you might say. I'd be able to give a donation but not much else like pet bills. I don't know how vets work with wildlife costs since they are state animals. But of coarse the vet has to survive.

Either way I'd LOVE LOVE to have a vet resource and travel is not my worry. I'd go to the moon for my kids💜🐿💜🐿🌡🍼🙏
    As I've been asking you wonderful friends, please friend me so I can find you easily😻

M
    I PMd you the vet info~~ as far as costs, this vet is extremely reasonable. several years ago my southern flying squirrel broke an arm and this vet did surgery to correctly align the arm again, made a tiny cast for the arm, and charged me $125. to me, that was VERY reasonable.
    We can bring a heart of understanding and compassion to a world that needs it so much. ~~ Jack Kornfield

28. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to missPixy:

Rocky1 (05-09-2016), SquirrelSense (05-09-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by missPixy View Post
    I PMd you the vet info~~ as far as costs, this vet is extremely reasonable. several years ago my southern flying squirrel broke an arm and this vet did surgery to correctly align the arm again, made a tiny cast for the arm, and charged me $125. to me, that was VERY reasonable.
    If I were in this situation with one of my wild buddies, I would definitely try to discuss this discretely (without saying where Winks lives) with the veterinarian to find out what services could be provided, and what if anything, would trigger their keeping the squirrel, reporting this to someone else, or worse. I would want to know in advance what they will do and under which circumstances. I worry because mange is different than a broken arm when it comes to the ethics of re-releasing into the wild. And of course, ethics are subjective and specific to the individual to a large extent. IMO, it would be best for someone the veterinarian knows and trusts to ask these questions.

Would they be willing to treat Winks and release him back to you, back to a rehabber they know and trust? If not, could they take a sample of the infection and analyze it without seeing Winks (to make doubly certain that this is exactly what we think and that it responds to the medication how we think), and then provide additional therapies if there are any?

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rocky1 from:

SquirrelSense (05-09-2016)

All of you... Sdeegz, Tube Driver, Mel, Critter Mom, Miss Pixie, Rocky, Island Rehabber, 4skwertz, (I know I don't have all your handles 100%) .... too many to mention. All these suggestions esp re vets are great. I'm so disappointed the one person I 'need to' to co-manage or has been deemed closest in the City in this area re squirrels has taken such a bad attitude and doesn't know me. It's made being a specialist without connections, her unwilling to even txt, even share info she OFFERED to so surreal. I understand being overwhemelmed completely. I am of the belief being a rehabber is as much about sharing valuable life saving info, encouraging MORE to be involved, education, especially in a state that has almost the opposite attitude so negative for non pinky squirrels. States like Fla seem to encourage saving their wildlife, even those in process to get lic.know enough to keep orphans until re-release w/mentor.

Re Winks today, he was in the middle of his area in the park!!! He's beck to living in that tree in the sidewalk and the tourists are a nightmare. Today 'BEIBER' was at 4 Sassons. One kid said later he saw the 'sick/bald one drinking from a crack in the brick sidewalk'. I had put his water by his tree but I had moved it from under the iron fence so he likely looked there. Since he's blind in one eye... Didn't see it. Today I added the yummy Esbilac and a bit more fruit and coconut meat.... He wolfed them. I almost got a bite cause they are so soft and he was in a tree coming down for them with other lil bratty ones forcing him to grab and run. There was so much bright sun looking up I haven't looked to see Mal'a pics yet but he looked good! Better anyways. Those damn upper inscsors are deathly sharp, too long. I did notice more shaking. He was hanging on with all but his left front paw... Using it to push remaining boo goo in his mouth and I kept saying to Malcolm "he has this palsy shaking that is very bad. Look at his paw. I thought he was shivering from baldness yesterday, but he was in a young 8 ft planting with 63*, windy but strong blinding sun. I had a squirrel 20
    years ago that had a Kathrine Hepburn head shake and sort of looked like this but I came to understand she got into rat poison. I hydrated, fed her back to a frisky but shakey gal who was afraid of her own pups and learned to keep them from
    bullying her. I REALLY think this explains how such a tough dude was ravaged to emaciation in a week. He's been poisoned too. Could be rat.. Who knows but his immune sys went from beautiful winter coat to one scab to near death in a week and mange I've never seen one live with. In fact never sarcoptic in BPG!
    Much of what was not frozen ground in the last April blizzard where Winky was hanging out.. All along the fence with flowers, new benches and the rats now invade root systems of the oldest elm tree homes with generations of squirrels, areas they (Norw Rats) love to bury under new mulch where the annuals and perennials are, by the garbage, any open cracked lamps near the pond... Rat poison, pesticide, fertilizer! Getting worse every few years. It's almost never marked, but I meet the crack of dawn tree experts and gardeners when I'm waiting on an injured squirrel I can call out before the others wake at dawn. With Gwen's shattered hip I'd be in 5 hour shifts to get water to a crippled nursing mom in 100* or more heat dawn till 2 then 2-3 hours til dark. I'm not in a place I can sit in the cold in the middle of the street for morning-noon on a blanket for Winky. Gwen is like a pet... She kisses! (Will post) Winky I'm thrilled he's getting THE BEST support, I can facilitate his meds.. he is socializing, eating... Having a life. I DO know he is frightened. Every time he leaves a tree, he gets a couple yards and stops.. Looks at us semi questioning 'can you help me?' and 'Are you following?' Don't loose me...! He doesn't know what happened to him. It's so obvious going from the king who one whip of his head around would stop any shenanigans in an instant, to getting tossed over by juveniles and disoriented. He's better but surly he wants his Mommy and Daddy. Again... Thanks you all with every cell in my body. I wish I was younger, had minty and could get my veterinary license. To help out in this and other areas would be the greatest gift. Meanwhile if I can ever help anyone.. I'm here for you too. ❌⭕️❌⭕️������������

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast