Thread: "Symptoms" of Wilding

Default "Symptoms" of Wilding

I say "Symptoms" because I mean signs. Symptoms sounds like it's a problem to be fixed, when for most animals, it is not a problem but is exactly the way things should work.

I know that on TSB a number of folks have "pet" squirrels, a number have rehabilitated releasable squirrels, some have a mixture, and some are trying to figure out which one their squirrel is.

I have seen a few posts lately of squirrels about my squirrels age (9 months) "wilding up". I wondered what these "symptoms" are, and what that means to the caretakers. For instance, if you raised a squirrel that wielded up, would that necessitate a plan for release? If a squirrel wilds up, does it mean that they are ready for release (obviously with a planned system) or does it moreso mean that the caretaker is ready to let them go?

Is it ever better for a healthy squirrel to remain within the care of the rehabilitator? Do most rehabbers make this call based on the behavior of the individual squirrel? If so, how much does "wilding up" play a role? If so, what behaviors qualify "wilding up" that cause a rehabber to plan on release?

Just wondering. I'm not asking for advice about the squirrel I care for specifically. I want to "let her choose" and I will be watching for signs of contentment or discontentment with her current situation. But generally speaking, I wondered about the stance of other members of this community.

Default Re: "Symptoms" of Wilding

Very good questions. I don't have the answers, but I'm sure others on here do. I have another question to add. Is there an average age for a squirrel to be released?

Also a great question. The recent posts I've read lead me to believe that, at least when overwintering is a component, 8 months seems normal. I am guessing. I just know I've seen three 8-ish month-ers released or in process of release recently. But mine is my first and I'm not sure what is "standard". Just throwing in my guess based on recent posts. I thank you for this additional question and I wonder too.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to <3MeSomeSquirrels from:

Mel1959 (04-18-2016)

In my eight years of rehabbing squirrels I find it best to place the squirrel(s) outside in their
    release cage when they are at four months old to start their 30 days acclimation to the wild.
    then by the time they are five months old, six at the latest....... the squirrel(s) is set FREE!!

I have come about this release schedule with my babies as they start to wild up around six
    months old which often leads to biting, territorial behavior over their cage and nut stash,
    becoming restless in the cage (running back and forth), sudden attacks from out of no where.

IMO - its is best for the squirrel to be released unless it is a nr squirrel or refuses to be wild
    again..... wanting to be with his human friend over the freedom of nature.

6. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rhapsody:

DarkLies212 (04-18-2016), Mel1959 (04-18-2016), Norkthesquirrel (04-17-2016)

im pretty sure my baby (5-6 months) is not as wild as we expected him to be. he loves to sneak in the house either by window or front door. he absolutly loves hanging out with us over being outside, hes been outside for about a month. of course who could blame him with all this crazy texas weather weve been getting! he knows its safe inside! his release cage has been blown over a few times and once with him in it, scared us half to death! so glad hes ok!