Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Probable UTI.

Default Probable UTI.

I'm calling around for a vet tomorrow, hoping someone deals with squirrels. My girl is a 9 month eastern grey. She has had trouble urinaring lately. Rocks her whole body as she pees, straining, and even breathes harder.

She only goes a drip at a time right now and it is strong-smelling and cloudy.

I was able to collect a small specimen. I'm hoping a vet would allow me to bring that without bringing her. Some of y'all's squirrels seem docile. Mine is skiddish, energetic, and playful.

Any tips in the meantime before I make an appointment or while I wait? I don't know how long it's been going on. She doesn't seem lethargic, but I think her water intake has decreased some.

Ideas for immediate help?

Default Re: Probable UTI.

Also, by chance, I work at a laboratory that specializes in human urine. I might mention it to the vet and possibly make a slide of her urine to bring it in to the vet if they say it would be helpful. Or even maybe ask a pathologist to look at it. I'm 99% sure she has something bad going on.

I usually overreact about silly things and panic that she's dying (I hope I chill out before I have human children), but this time I absolutely truly believe there is an issue and that I'm not simply panicking.

It defiantly sounds as though your little one may have an UTI --seeing a vet is important.
    In the meantime I would try to increase the water intake and feed some cranberries.

(((hugs))) Healing Vibes being sent.

I assume you mean fresh cranberry, not the dried kind with added sugar. I am afraid I don't know if I can get them out of Thanksgiving season, but I will look. Thanks!

Correct..... fresh cranberries.

Update: after calling around, I finally found a vet in my area that treats squirrels, which I am relieved for. I couldn't find cranberries, but I picked up some no sugar added, organic 100% cranberry juice and have administered a bit and will continue to do so.

The vet said that if I was able to collect a urine sample tomorrow shortly before the appointment, it would help. Unfortunately the urine I already collected will be too old to use for optimal diagnosis use.

I'm hoping the fact that she's full of energy is a sign that the infection hasn't gotten too serious. I'm nervous about the vet. This is the first time she will have been and I hope they are understanding of squirrels. I was relieved to discover that the receptionist had a squirrel for a length of time too, and was also quite knowledgeable about them. So it seems promising that this vet will be a good fit.

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to <3MeSomeSquirrels:

Shewhosweptforest (04-19-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by <3MeSomeSquirrels View Post
    Update: after calling around, I finally found a vet in my area that treats squirrels, which I am relieved for. I couldn't find cranberries, but I picked up some no sugar added, organic 100% cranberry juice and have administered a bit and will continue to do so.

The vet said that if I was able to collect a urine sample tomorrow shortly before the appointment, it would help. Unfortunately the urine I already collected will be too old to use for optimal diagnosis use.

I'm hoping the fact that she's full of energy is a sign that the infection hasn't gotten too serious. I'm nervous about the vet. This is the first time she will have been and I hope they are understanding of squirrels. I was relieved to discover that the receptionist had a squirrel for a length of time too, and was also quite knowledgeable about them. So it seems promising that this vet will be a good fit.
    Glad you found and will be able to take your girl to a veterinarian.
    If your pleased with them I hope you share the info, veterinarians that
    will treat squirrels aren't easy to come by....
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Oh my goodness, what a day. It was her first time out of the house, and first time in the carrier. She was freaking out hardcore to the extent that I was almost in tears in the car on the way there and very stressed in the waiting room.

They told me over the phone that the urine sample I collected two days ago and have refrigerated ever since would be too old to be useful. I work in a urology lab (for humans) and am not sure I agree, but I left it at home anyway. We weighed her (it took about ten minutes to weigh her because I couldn't get her off of me - she was terrified of the people and the whole experience). She's a big girl. 1.4 pounds.

I described the symptoms to them again, and the vet was content to prescribe medicine on that basis, since she couldn't/wouldn't be calmed and was unable to provide a urine specimen. He prescribed a mixture of Sulfatrim, which should be administered orally at 0.5cc twice a day for two weeks. He recommended sweetening the tip of the syringe if need be to encourage her to drink it. She's not picky, so I doubt I'll have trouble.

I have not administered the first dose yet, as I wanted to hear the board's opinion on this first. The vet has raised Flyers and Eastern Grays himself, so I feel more assured. He also mentioned Baytril, as I've seen posted here in a few UTI threads, but he recommended trying this first because the Baytril has a flavor that he finds hard to mask for animals.

He also recommended I keep a journal of changes in behavior and symptoms through this drug course to assess its effectiveness over time.

So... Sulfatrim. Anyone familiar with it?

Edit: And to the urology lab, I intend to gain permission to make a slide from her urine and request a pathologist to look at it at my job as a favor to me. Just to see if there are any definite signs of a UTI.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to <3MeSomeSquirrels from:

I'm sorry I don't have any knowledge about that drug, but someone on here should respond. Glad you got some meds.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Glad you found and will be able to take your girl to a veterinarian.
    If your pleased with them I hope you share the info, veterinarians that
    will treat squirrels aren't easy to come by....
    Should I share in a main post somewhere? Or just here?

Oops. I guess I'm not allowed. Got modded out. My apologies, y'all.
    Last edited by Nancy in New York; 04-19-2016 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Took vet's information off the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I'm sorry I don't have any knowledge about that drug, but someone on here should respond. Glad you got some meds.
    Thanks! I will do an advanced search here and a little googling to put my mind at ease before administering the drug. I hope someone here knows about it (and approves of it too).

Yes, the Sulfatrim should work fine. Also, yes, the Baytril tastes terrible and squirrels really hate it. I agree that treating based on the symptoms is the best course of action. It is difficult to collect a specimen on a FREAKED OUT squirrel. Oh and yes, they will bite the crap outta you, also.

My squirrel freaked out at a vets office also and during the chaos her tail managed to get degloved on the last 2 inches. I was standing right there and I still can't tell you how it happened.

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Mel1959 (04-19-2016), Shewhosweptforest (04-19-2016)

Oh goodness! Poor little babies. Those moments when you wish they could understand English.

Thanks for the thumbs-up on the drug. Advanced search of "sulfatrim uti" also reassured me. I hope she improves soon!

Should I share in a main post somewhere? Or just here?

Oops. I guess I'm not allowed. Got modded out. My apologies, y'all.

Oh this is fine.
    We just want to keep the name of your vet safe, so I removed the name.
    The admins. have the info. so we will know who to recommend in your area.
    Thank you for sharing!

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

I found this when I googled sulfatrim

SULFAMETHOXAZOLE/ TRIMETHOPRIM

BRANDS: TRIBRISSEN, COTRIM, BACTRIM, SEPTRA 15mg/lb BID, PO
    .15cc/lb
    Bactericidal, broad-spectrum combination (antibiotic) active against many secondary infections, but not mycoplasma. Great for urinary tract infections. Tastes terrible, so is difficult to get rats to take. Prescription needed. Inexpensive. Note: Sulfonamides without Trimethoprim are bacteriostatic.

Seems it will work fine for urinary

So glad you found a vet to take her to....that's wonderful for you both

Welcome to TSB

What's your girl's name? Pics are always much appreciated

Edit: Oops! I see you're not exactly "new" you've gotten advice from our best.
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    Oh this is fine.
    We just want to keep the name of your vet safe, so I removed the name.
    The admins. have the info. so we will know who to recommend in your area.
    Thank you for sharing!
    Oh good! Thanks for letting me know. I definitely don't want to go against any rules.

What was most shocking to me is that I called two vets - one outright turned me down with no suggestions, the other gave me the number for a squirrel rehabilitator that lives an hour away. Not one of them knew to refer me to this vet. I might actually call the other vet offices back and provide them with the number for this vet in case anyone inquires about squirrel care from them in the future.

Thanks!

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to <3MeSomeSquirrels from:

Mel1959 (04-19-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Shewhosweptforest View Post
    I found this when I googled sulfatrim

SULFAMETHOXAZOLE/ TRIMETHOPRIM

BRANDS: TRIBRISSEN, COTRIM, BACTRIM, SEPTRA 15mg/lb BID, PO
    .15cc/lb
    Bactericidal, broad-spectrum combination (antibiotic) active against many secondary infections, but not mycoplasma. Great for urinary tract infections. Tastes terrible, so is difficult to get rats to take. Prescription needed. Inexpensive. Note: Sulfonamides without Trimethoprim are bacteriostatic.

Seems it will work fine for urinary

So glad you found a vet to take her to....that's wonderful for you both

Welcome to TSB

What's your girl's name? Pics are always much appreciated

Edit: Oops! I see you're not exactly "new" you've gotten advice from our best.

Thanks for the additional information! Oh, I am just so relieved to have found a vet and to have this visit behind me.

No worries; I'm new "enough", haha. I am certainly not well known on the board. I think my s/o is nervous when I get on the board because every time I do, I find out about 20 new concerns I could have about our baby. Haha. Usually I'm paranoid and overreact, but this time I think she really needed the treatment and I am looking forward to seeing her body function as it should when it heals.

My boyfriend (who rescued her) named her Icarus back when we thought she was a "he". It took us a few weeks to re-gender our terms for her, but now we just call her Squirrel.

Well. I call her lots of things. Little Baby Squirrel, Squirl-Girl, Squirrely Whurley, Dear Sweet Baby Squirrel, etc. Whatever pops into my head at the time. Those are the most recurrent.

I am about to close out of TSB for a bit to get back to studies (GRE in 10 days - yikes), but I will have to return to post pics soon. Maybe give a secondary introduction to myself and my lil one on one of the main boards.

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to <3MeSomeSquirrels:

Oh good! Thanks for letting me know. I definitely don't want to go against any rules.

What was most shocking to me is that I called two vets - one outright turned me down with no suggestions, the other gave me the number for a squirrel rehabilitator that lives an hour away. Not one of them knew to refer me to this vet. I might actually call the other vet offices back and provide them with the number for this vet in case anyone inquires about squirrel care from them in the future.

Thanks!
    I don't think I would. There are SO many rules that it would blow your mind. This might be a vet that's just willing to do it in a low key sorta way. Most vets don't want it publicly known that they will see a squirrel because there might be wildlife laws that they are breaking. If others know, he might stop seeing squirrels. It has happened before... a vet sees a squirrel, others know, etc and then gets a visit from wildlife officers. That ends that permanently so I wouldn't. You have a vet which is HUGE. If there is need in your area on TSB, an admin can refer them without fanfare.

I know SC is a little different and it might not be a problem but I wouldn't take a chance.

27. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

Mel1959 (04-19-2016), Nancy in New York (04-19-2016), Shewhosweptforest (04-19-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by HRT4SQRLS View Post
    I don't think I would. There are SO many rules that it would blow your mind. This might be a vet that's just willing to do it in a low key sorta way. Most vets don't want it publicly known that they will see a squirrel because there might be wildlife laws that they are breaking. If others know, he might stop seeing squirrels. It has happened before... a vet sees a squirrel, others know, etc and then gets a visit from wildlife officers. That ends that permanently so I wouldn't. You have a vet which is HUGE. If there is need in your area on TSB, an admin can refer them without fanfare.

I know SC is a little different and it might not be a problem but I wouldn't take a chance.
    Fair enough. I know in SC it's legal to have squirrels without any certifications or anything, but I get your point and definitely wouldn't want to jeopardize my squirrel's new vet or his ability to treat other squirrels.

Honestly, even knowing I can have her, I was nervous that maybe a vet agreed to see her in order to "seize" her. I don't think they can do that, especially here, but I have to admit, the thought crossed my mind and I was anxious myself just taking her publicly to be seen.

29. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to <3MeSomeSquirrels:

I might actually call the other vet offices back and provide them with the number for this vet in case anyone inquires about squirrel care from them in the future.

Thanks!

Just one bit of caution about doing this.
    Check with your vet first, some DON'T want their
    name out there for treating wildlife.

edit: OK I see that HRT4SQRLS replied too!

31. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast