Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New here

Default Re: New here

Quote Originally Posted by whitwalls View Post
    We are feeding 4-5 times a day. I have a bottle for her and it's by ml/tsp and from what I can tell she's only eating about a tsp every feeding she's actually been stopping on her own and I don't try to force her to eat anymore than she wants when she stops we stop. I don't have a scale that would actually weigh her so not exactly sure what she weighs.
    It's best to feed them with a syringe. They are so easily aspirated, which causes pneumonia. I'm a nurse, super careful, and I accidentally aspirated one of. Mine. Thankfully I had access to antibiotics and he pulled through. Please get a 1cc or 3cc syringe. Does your squirrel have its eyes open? You can got to Henry's and buy nipples and syringes.

Quote Originally Posted by KarmaKay View Post
    It's best to feed them with a syringe. They are so easily aspirated, which causes pneumonia. I'm a nurse, super careful, and I accidentally aspirated one of. Mine. Thankfully I had access to antibiotics and he pulled through. Please get a 1cc or 3cc syringe. Does your squirrel have its eyes open? You can got to Henry's and buy nipples and syringes.
    Her eyes are open. And we dont have a Henry's around here. Honestly I've never even heard of that. Lol we are in just a small country town in tennessee. The best thing we have is walmart. We don't even have a good restaurant around here just mainly fast food! We are going to have a syringe before her next feeding!

Henry's blocks are sold online here www.henryspets.com - you want to order the high protein blocks for baby squirrels in the next few weeks when you start to introduce solids. They do sell syringes and nipples too. Thanks for taking this little one in. You found TSB much the same way I did - feeding the wrong formula and ending up with diarrhea issues in your little one. Not sure what part of TN you live in, but I have some supplies I can share if you are nearby. Check your Private messages.
    Welcome to TSB - glad you found us!

Edit: Until you can get some syringes in, perhaps you could go to your local drug store and ask them if they have any syringes without the needles you can have to feed a "small newborn kitten" you found - it worked for me in a pinch! The syringes are essential as baby squirrels can aspirate VERY easily!
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

Can anyone tell me how to help with the smell? As of right now I think I've got the diarrhea calmed down a little with her but she smells horrible right now and I don't know what to do to help it.

I sent you a pm with my email address.
    You can send the pictures to me, and I will see if I can post.

Can anyone tell me how to help with the smell? As of right now I think I've got the diarrhea calmed down a little with her but she smells horrible right now and I don't know what to do to help it.
    This may be due to coccidia; many baby squirrels get it and stress brings it out.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Here's this precious little soul.

He looks like he feels just blah.........

How old is he in these photos?
    He looks to be a little dehydrated.
    Can you offer him some water with just a touch of honey, warmed of course.

Do you have him on a heating pad set half under his container?
    Does he have lots of fleece to cuddle up with?

Would you like us to try to find a rehabber to help you?

I'm trying to keep her hydrated between meals and I have a heating pad half under where she can move if she needs to. From what we have read she is about 6 weeks old. Also the second picture was the day we found her and she probably was a little dehydrated then.

I hope you are able to get that diarrhea under control - I know how stressful that can be. There is a possibility as IR suggested that she could have coccida or even parasites. They seem to be more prevalent in the south. I do hope that is not the case, but if the diarrhea persists, it is something to consider.
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

"Don't cry because it's over - smile because it happened." Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by lennysmom View Post
    I hope you are able to get that diarrhea under control - I know how stressful that can be. There is a possibility as IR suggested that she could have coccida or even parasites. They seem to be more prevalent in the south. I do hope that is not the case, but if the diarrhea persists, it is something to consider.
    So far today, I've tryed to keep her hydrated and fed and she seems to be much better!! She hasn't pooped today, so no diarrhea, which makes me feel a little better.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to whitwalls:

lennysmom (04-14-2016), Nancy in New York (04-14-2016)

As far as some of the smells goes, you can use fleece in the cage and wash it often, every other day.
    Just pull out the old set and place new fleece in the cage while you wash the old set of fleece.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
    As far as some of the smells goes, you can use fleece in the cage and wash it often, every other day.
    Just pull out the old set and place new fleece in the cage while you wash the old set of fleece.
    What's the best stuff to wash it with? I've read that ordinary laundry detergent can cause breathing problems and I don't want to hurt her.

A lot of people use All free. Just make sure whatever you use doesn't have any perfumes added to it.
    "A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song"

Quote Originally Posted by Sara in NW MS View Post
    A lot of people use All free. Just make sure whatever you use doesn't have any perfumes added to it.
    It's hard for me to change my detergent. Me and my husband both are allergic to most of the others. And the only one we can really use is the sun detergent and I don't think they offer it in a non scented version.I washed some of the fleece we have been using for her last night and the only thing I knew to do was to put a little dawn in the washer. Lol I was so worried that it was going to suds up bad and we would have a big mess.

It's hard for me to change my detergent. Me and my husband both are allergic to most of the others. And the only one we can really use is the sun detergent and I don't think they offer it in a non scented version.I washed some of the fleece we have been using for her last night and the only thing I knew to do was to put a little dawn in the washer. Lol I was so worried that it was going to suds up bad and we would have a big mess.
    I understand you not wanting to change your detergent. I keep two different detergents in my laundry room. One for the people and one for the squirrel bedding.
    "A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song"

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Sara in NW MS:

lennysmom (04-14-2016), whitwalls (04-14-2016)

So far today, I've tryed to keep her hydrated and fed and she seems to be much better!! She hasn't pooped today, so no diarrhea, which makes me feel a little better.
    Finally!! She went and it was soft, but it was solid!!!! I know we aren't quite out of the woods yet, but this just makes me feel so much better.

Since it is only for the squirrel laundry, use any detergent you like, and then when it is done, run it through a second wash cycle with NO detergent at all.

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Cesta (04-19-2016), whitwalls (04-14-2016)

Ok guys another question. Now that baby elinore is starting to feel better she's jumping around and wanting to play more. What's some things I can either get for her or give to her that she can play with?

I'm glad to hear that Elinore is feeling better.

Baby squirrels love to play with small stuffed toys or animals. Get the type without button eyes. They will snuggle next to them and roll and play with them also.

23. Serious fuzzy thank you's to HRT4SQRLS from:

whitwalls (04-14-2016)

Small balls work well, too, like the kind you get for a cat. I'm glad to hear she's feeling better

25. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

whitwalls (04-14-2016)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast