Thread: Let's Discuss the 5-7% Formula Rule

Threaded View

Default Let's Discuss the 5-7% Formula Rule

Ok, don't stone me but I have some growing concerns about how the feeding guidelines of 5-7% are being interpreted .... I've seen multiple places, multiple people and multiple issues that seem to be a trend of under fed babies.

They are all something like this "I'm having this issue. ... explains issues" . ... pictures show skinny babies and person says they feed 5% BW but can't increase because baby refuses or gets digestive issues

Here's my theory. Those are guidelines for the minimum amount needed for maintaining life when adjusting to formula. That's the 'floor' of the 'house of formula', not the 'ceiling'. I rarely have a baby taking only 7% at feedings within a week of starting formula, let alone only 5%

But if they have been restricted to this for awhile, the system is not going to maintain it's ability to process a normal amount of food. We see it in underweight animals. ... They don't have the stomach capacity to eat regular portions and get digestive upset. I believe in some cases when we restrict intake for too long THAT'S when they start having problems trying to increase food when advised, go back to the 5% and baby wastes away

I personally start out at 5-7% as a minimum to work UP to so I know they are getting enough. Once I'm seeing formula poop I let them eat until full. I've never had problems and sometimes I have babies eating well over 10% each feeding. Occasionally I get a mushy poop once or twice that always resolves and it's usually because of too frequently feeding, not the amount

EXCEPT when they have gone too long and eat too fast, they should be able to eat until full without a problem and without being restricted according to guidelines (after adjusting of course)

My opinion is maybe we should be clearer on explaining this? It seems like it's being used to limit feeding and causing problems. Just my opinion

Thoughts?

2. 10 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to LaurelLynn:

ALittleNutty (03-27-2016), bre (08-31-2020), cava (11-09-2017), Charley Chuckles (10-05-2023), island rehabber (03-27-2016), LR (11-09-2017), madameflan (03-20-2019), MissAmy (08-21-2016), Nancy in New York (03-27-2016), Tootsie's mom (09-08-2021)