Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's Discuss the 5-7% Formula Rule

nutty4squirrels Guest

Default Re: Let's Discuss the 5-7% Formula Rule

So I glad I read this! I unfortunately was only feeding my 2 babies about 6%. I will increase so that's until full from now on!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to nutty4squirrels from:

SammysMom (11-09-2018)

Default Re: Let's Discuss the 5-7% Formula Rule

Quote Originally Posted by LaurelLynn View Post
    I know most of us know not to restrict feedings too much but I think the guidelines are getting lost in translation because I've seen many people and newer rehabbers who are hearing "don't overfeed! Feedings are usually 5-7% BW" are interpreting this as "only feed 5-7%"....

I've never had problems with over feeding. I know a drastic increase causes problems but when I start a baby on formula, I'm using the guidelines to make sure they eat enough. They are usually eating less at first and then get into the routine. As they start wanting more, I just let them have it

Last year's pinkies, I had one that was eating 40-45cc almost every feeding in the last couple weeks before weaning! He never had digestive issues.

As long as they are fed at consistent times, they should eat what they need. Maybe clarifying this guideline and advising adjustments to frequency if they are having issues with over feeding instead of decreasing amount would be beneficial ?
    I'm glad this is being clarified. I'm a pretty good reader, but i also read it as a hard fast ceiling... especially having read somewhere (I suspect before I discovered this board) that squirrels will overeat if given the opportunity...leading to other digestive issues. While my boy is thriving and gaining weight, there are many times when I think he would eat more if offered more than the 7% I've been loading the feeder with!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12