Thread: Need help about giving antibiotics - How much and how to administer

Default Need help about giving antibiotics - How much and how to administer

Hi,
    I have a wild squirrel who comes daily to get fed and who lives in a nest box we used when we released 6 baby squirrels last year.
    He looks like his eye is infected, and some local rehabbers have told me I need to administer AB (after seeing pictures). What I have at home is Amoxicilin 500 mg. I was told to make a syrup, but I have no clue how. Can someone help me with this?

Here is a picture of Cookie's eye taken yesterday.
    I would like to add that he has taken over the nestbox from another squirrel with mange (mild case) that we are treating with Ivermectin. So, he could perhaps have an infection related to mange, although at the moment, he has not lost a lot of hair (I see tiny spots missing).

Name:  cookie spec in ey 16 mars 2016.png
Views: 30
Size:  158.1 KB

Here's another picture to help figuring out his weight (showing the other eye, which is ok)

Name:  cookie full body pic 16 mars 2016.png
Views: 27
Size:  212.3 KB

Thank you
    ----
    Josee
    A tribute video made in honor of our beloved NR squirrel, Dixie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVZs0DikoWs&t=8s

Default Re: Need help about giving antibiotics - How much and how to administer

Fresh information about Cookie

He was in his nest box until almost 13h (which is out of character). He's acting very differently. Walking very slowly and more cautiously. He seems very thirsty and scratches a lot more today. We gave him Ivermectin. Since I did not know how to administer AB, the window of opportunity had closed for today. I would really like to know what to do before the end of the day, so I can give him AB tomorrow. Also, today his other eye seems swollen as well (less, but swollen too).

Here is a pic from a few minutes ago. I can see a film covering part of the eye.

Name:  Cookie eye close-up 17 mars 2016.png
Views: 28
Size:  179.2 KB
    ----
    Josee
    A tribute video made in honor of our beloved NR squirrel, Dixie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVZs0DikoWs&t=8s

I'm not sure what could be going on with this guy to make his eyes swell like that, although it could be a number of things including tooth issues (malocclusion). I will try to get an Amoxi dosage for you -- BRB.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

DixiesMom (03-17-2016)

Thank you so much!!!
    As far as figuring out what is going on, I would mention that this squirrel has been coming for months now. It is only the past 5 days that he started showing symptoms, and only today did he start acting very differently (moving really slowly). I think in this case, maloccusion can be ruled out. The fact the he started showing symptoms the day after he stole the nestbox from another squirrel with mange (I think) suggests that it might be what is happening. The other squirrel (Peacan) also had eyes that did not look normal. She would not come close, so all I could notice from a distance was that she looked very tired and her eyes were half closed. I have a feeling that what they both have/had is the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber View Post
    I'm not sure what could be going on with this guy to make his eyes swell like that, although it could be a number of things including tooth issues (malocclusion). I will try to get an Amoxi dosage for you -- BRB.
    ----
    Josee

The amoxi is in pill form correct?
    I can break this down for you and dose.
    I will have to do so with a "guesstimate" on the weight though.
    Do you have a 1 ml syringe?

Also you will need a good probiotic to give 2 hours prior or after dosing
    as cillian drugs are hard on their tummies.

I will include directions for that as well in a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in New York View Post
    The amoxi is in pill form correct?
    I can break this down for you and dose.
    I will have to do so with a "guesstimate" on the weight though.
    Do you have a 1 ml syringe?

Also you will need a good probiotic to give 2 hours prior or after dosing
    as cillian drugs are hard on their tummies.

I will include directions for that as well in a pm.
    Yes, it's in pill form. I do have a 1ml syringe, but this is a wild squirrel. How will I be able to administer the AB? I see him once a day... I can't really give something 2 hours prior and after. Also, he got Ivermecting today, I hope this is not too much for him.

Some rehabber I had tried contacteing for help just told me now I need to capture him. I am all confused now, and very worried. I don't want to put the stress of being captured on him, unless is absolutely necessary.
    My goodness, I'm such a worrywart, I make myself sick.
    ----
    Josee

Quote Originally Posted by DixiesMom View Post
    Yes, it's in pill form. I do have a 1ml syringe, but this is a wild squirrel. How will I be able to administer the AB? I see him once a day... I can't really give something 2 hours prior and after. Also, he got Ivermecting today, I hope this is not too much for him.

Some rehabber I had tried contacteing for help just told me now I need to capture him. I am all confused now, and very worried. I don't want to put the stress of being captured on him, unless is absolutely necessary.
    My goodness, I'm such a worrywart, I make myself sick.
    I sent the dosing instructions.
    Not to worry about the probiotics unless you see him after giving the abs.
    You can put this antibiotic on a nut in the crease of a pecan out of the shell.
    What I sometimes do when dosing a wild squirrel, is put the suspension
    of water and antibiotic on a shelled nut and let it sit until it dries. The antibiotic is still on
    the nut, but it's dry and won't drip off. You can even do one up now for tomorrow.

I am NOT sure about capturing him. That may be more stressful than trying to treat in the wild.
    Hopefully others will chime in as well.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Nancy in New York from:

DixiesMom (03-17-2016)

Thank you so much for your help.
    I hope one more day without AB won't make his condition go down hill.

I have another question. If I do manage to give him probiotics, would probiotics for cats and dogs do? That is what I already have at home. It's actually a probiotic/enzymes mix.

Here is the product I'm talking about.
    http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/produc...cs/148017.aspx
    Can you tell me what you think?
    ----
    Josee

Poor guy! He is very lucky to have you watching out for him... Out of curiosity, what strength and dose of ivermectin did you give him and how did you give it?
    Squirrels, squirrels and more squirrels....
    Prayers for the people who make this a better world...
    savesquirrels@sbcglobal.net

from a practical point of view, Nancy's drying advice is very good.
    Put the nut on top of a warm surface. A radiator.
    What I have found is helpful is to make a powder of some nut part.
    Drop that ground powder OVER the drop of liquid to also absorb and mask the medicine.
    IF there was any way you could keep your eye on him, while he is eating.
    Like perhaps placing a video camera where later you could play back and study the footage.
    Could be most useful in seeing that he ate the whole nut!
    Good luck.

IF he is going downhill, you might have to capture him.
    That is a whole other issue.

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to BigNibbler from:

DixiesMom (03-17-2016)

Thank you BigNibbler
    Thankfully, it's easy to keep an eye on him (for a wild squirrel). He comes at our patio door, and eats in front of us. He's been living in our yard and we see the nest box from our kitchen. It's not a very far distance (our yard is tiny). I also film him up close every day, so that I can compare to see the progression of his condition.
    I really hope we don't need to capture him. I would hate to stress him out and lose his trust in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by BigNibbler View Post
    from a practical point of view, Nancy's drying advice is very good.
    Put the nut on top of a warm surface. A radiator.
    What I have found is helpful is to make a powder of some nut part.
    Drop that ground powder OVER the drop of liquid to also absorb and mask the medicine.
    IF there was any way you could keep your eye on him, while he is eating.
    Like perhaps placing a video camera where later you could play back and study the footage.
    Could be most useful in seeing that he ate the whole nut!
    Good luck.

IF he is going downhill, you might have to capture him.
    That is a whole other issue.
    ----
    Josee

Quote Originally Posted by SammysMom View Post
    Poor guy! He is very lucky to have you watching out for him... Out of curiosity, what strength and dose of ivermectin did you give him and how did you give it?
    Thank you SammysMom

The strenght of Ivermectin is the typical 1.87% paste. The dosage I gave him was the size of a small dry grain of rice, which I put on the crease of a shelled peacan. He ate it in front of me.
    ----
    Josee

DM, if he comes to the door, I would try to keep getting him to come closer and closer every feeding, so that he is inside.
    Maybe I would take a havehart trap, turn it upside down, or use pins to keep it locked open, NOT the normal way of keeping it open, you do not want it to snap shot and scare him, UNTIL that is needed.
    OR just a four side box.
    Like a tunnel.
    Get him used to entering the tunnel for food.
    Get him used to going through the tunnel for food on the other side,
    Eventually he will be fine entering the tunnel, even when you have a fifth wall at the back end.
    THEN all you need is drop a towel over the open end and whisk him to a where you want him.

Just saying for if his condition worsens. Did you say it was a boy, I responded rapidly and forget if you said she.
    I just like planning ahead.

Hope you got the dosing info that works.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to BigNibbler from:

DixiesMom (03-18-2016)

That idea would work great, if only we did not have 2 cats... Squirrels at the door is one of their favorite shows on cat TV! They never miss an episode lol

Should we really need to trap Cookie (yes, he is a boy), we have a humane trap we would use. But there are 2 other squirrels that come at our door too, so it probably would not be that easy to trap the right one. I really hope we don't get there. These guys trust us, and that is something precious I don't want to screw up with.

Quote Originally Posted by BigNibbler View Post
    DM, if he comes to the door, I would try to keep getting him to come closer and closer every feeding, so that he is inside.
    Maybe I would take a havehart trap, turn it upside down, or use pins to keep it locked open, NOT the normal way of keeping it open, you do not want it to snap shot and scare him, UNTIL that is needed.
    OR just a four side box.
    Like a tunnel.
    Get him used to entering the tunnel for food.
    Get him used to going through the tunnel for food on the other side,
    Eventually he will be fine entering the tunnel, even when you have a fifth wall at the back end.
    THEN all you need is drop a towel over the open end and whisk him to a where you want him.

Just saying for if his condition worsens. Did you say it was a boy, I responded rapidly and forget if you said she.
    I just like planning ahead.

Hope you got the dosing info that works.
    ----
    Josee

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to DixiesMom from:

Nancy in New York (03-18-2016)

I am very happy to report that Cookie is doing a lot better! We have been able to administer antibiotics without having to trap him. After 2 days of ABs, he was doing much better already. He'll be fine and will continue on with his little squirrel life! So happy and so relieved
    ----
    Josee