Thread: Re: Ivermectin for Wild Squirrels

Hybrid View

Default Re: Ivermectin for Wild Squirrels

Quote Originally Posted by VRB Black Squirrels View Post
    Hi, I'm new, hope it's alright. I treated a squirrel with very bad mange, maybe 35% to 45% overall fur loss going into winter, with Selamectin, dose adjusted from housepet weight recommendations on the box to suit a squirrel. It was the tiniest drop on a walnut half, and within a week, he was recovering, and he lived. I want to point out my squirrel looked nothing like yours does, he was waist-up bald.

Yes, selamectin (Revolution) is a great choice for treatment of mange. It is much less dangerous (lessor risk of overdosing) versus ivermectin, but more expensive and harder to obtain (requires vet Rx). Ivermectin is sometimes used as it is more readily available (can buy off the shelf at places like Tractor Supply) and less expensive... if the option of selamectin is available, I would always go that route!

Thank you for helping this squirrel!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

VRB Black Squirrels (07-05-2019)

Default Re: Ivermectin for Wild Squirrels

I actually came by Selamectin pretty easily online, no Rx, but it was expensive. I looked everywhere for Ivermectin hoping to find it over the counter with no luck, it was one of your regulars who I know from Reddit who told me about and helped me locate Selamectin.

It was stunning how quick and effective such a little dose was. The worst of winter was coming and I was worried the little guy would freeze to death. I dosed him Christmas Eve day and was doing scouting missions a couple of times a day to check for progress. That little vid there, that was me looking at him like, "Wow! I can see fur growing back already!" He really did look so awful before then that to me, that vid looked like a miracle. He was all exposed white skin running around in the cold. I gave him a follow-up dose some time later when it was safe, but I don't even know if it was necessary.