Thread: an easy one

Question an easy one

I am not an expert or rehabber at all. But I do try to do my part. Thus, I am wondering if anyone can identify the character in the pictures below and let me know if you think he's dead or not? He seems to be frozen, not breathing, and stiff either due to being so cold or rigor mortis - I think he is just cold because the feet have changed position since I have had him in my jacket. I don't believe he is moving voluntarily, but am not entirely sure. Maybe he's limp, maybe not.

My question is, is this the kind of animal that can survive being frozen (like some ground squirrels)? Is this just a mouse or rat, lol!? (See, I do not know my animals very well.)

I am currently carrying him around in my winter coat inner pocket just in case. He's a nice clean creature, no bad odor, no bugs, just a sweet little furry thing. I do this because every now and again, I have a good surprise and find an animal alive who is salvageable despite the initial appearance... Please let me know what you think. (If he is dead, that is fine, and that is the case quite often around here. But if he is not, or might not be, I will keep an eye on him.) . Thank you!

Name:  frozen1.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  70.9 KB
    Name:  frozen2.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  411.7 KB
    I found him on the pavement like in picture 2.

Default Re: an easy one

What was the outcome Rocky1?

It looks like a mouse to me.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

frankc (12-21-2019), Rocky1 (12-20-2019)

Those legs look MUCH thicker than a mouse's legs. Baby rat?

Godspeed little one, you deserved better than to die alone and cold.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Maybe a vole????
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Scooterzmom from:

Rocky1 (12-20-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Scooterzmom View Post
    Maybe a vole????

I think you are right SM, it is a vole. Very interesting little creatures that are largely monogamous and very empathic with each other.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vole

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Lightbulb Re: an easy one

What i did was gradually warm him up. The feet and hands changed color from pale peach to a slightly redder color, just like my hands when i go out in the cold and then warm them up. Thus the flesh was responding to temp changes. I had him indoors next to me for 4 hours and no obvious waking up or breathing. feet and hands changed position, but i am not sure why or if that was indicative or suggestive of life. Ultimately, I left him in a secret room temperature area since i was unsure if he would recover. I hope he does, but i would not bet on it.

I am more than open to any suggestions or thoughts about how i could handle this better next time i find a similar frozen creature. Thank you for your insight so far.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rocky1 from:

frankc (12-21-2019)

Voles do not hibernate so this vole was dead or very close to death. He may have been partially frozen and when his little body started to thaw, his feet moved a little bit. Gradually warming is the way to go but this little one may have died of old age, they only live a year or two at the longest. I find it sad that this little vole died alone in the cold. I hope he knows that someone cared for him and tried to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky1 View Post
    What i did was gradually warm him up. The feet and hands changed color from pale peach to a slightly redder color, just like my hands when i go out in the cold and then warm them up. Thus the flesh was responding to temp changes. I had him indoors next to me for 4 hours and no obvious waking up or breathing. feet and hands changed position, but i am not sure why or if that was indicative or suggestive of life. Ultimately, I left him in a secret room temperature area since i was unsure if he would recover. I hope he does, but i would not bet on it.

I am more than open to any suggestions or thoughts about how i could handle this better next time i find a similar frozen creature. Thank you for your insight so far.

-Grateful Dead

13. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

frankc (12-21-2019), kathy291 (12-21-2019), Rocky1 (12-22-2019), RockyPops (12-21-2019)