Thread: Can squirrels get the flu?

Default Can squirrels get the flu?

I made my last thread talking about how my squirrel, Fall, may be in heat. The title of it is "acting odd with picture". But now she seems to just want to sleep all day and doesn't seem very interested in food. Does this happen to other squirrels when they're in heat? I'm also curious about her behavior because I'm currently sick. Is it possible that I got her sick too?

Default Re: Can squirrels get the flu?

Two things: One, my squirrel in heat is grumpy and sleeping a lot, too. Two, could you give us a detailed description of what she eats in a day? That could help us determine if this is caused by a dietary issue, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireweed View Post
    Two things: One, my squirrel in heat is grumpy and sleeping a lot, too. Two, could you give us a detailed description of what she eats in a day? That could help us determine if this is caused by a dietary issue, just in case.
    Oh okay. From what I've read people have said their squirrel is more hyper than usual so I wasn't sure if that was normal. HHB, broccoli, cauliflower, snow peas, and blue berries. The fruits vary because I switch it throughout the week.

They can be hyper. I'm just saying her sleeping a lot might not be anything to worry about at this point. The diet looks ok, as long as she's eating her HHB and not stashing it. Have you tried other veggies from the healthy diet list? Here's the link if you need some more ideas: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Pet-Squirrels

Is she hydrated? Do you see her drinking water?

Hopefully someone else will chime in with some ideas.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Fireweed from:

ravenraskin (03-07-2016)

They can be hyper. I'm just saying her sleeping a lot might not be anything to worry about at this point. The diet looks ok, as long as she's eating her HHB and not stashing it. Have you tried other veggies from the healthy diet list? Here's the link if you need some more ideas: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...-Pet-Squirrels

Is she hydrated? Do you see her drinking water?

Hopefully someone else will chime in with some ideas.
    Yes, that's just what I have this week. That's actually the chart I go off of so thank you. Yes, she's been drinking water the same as usual. I honestly can't think of anything it could be. She's not sneezing or coughing. And I know her teeth arent the problem because she's still chewing on stuff. She just picks up her blocks and kind of nibbles on them, throws them down, and goes back to sleep.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ravenraskin from:

Fireweed (03-07-2016)

How about pee and poop? Anything abnormal? What color is her urine? How do her poops look?

How about pee and poop? Anything abnormal? What color is her urine? How do her poops look?
    No, nothing abnormal. Yellowish with no strong odor. Tanish brown little pellets like usual. She's just been rubbing her rear end on everything and leaving a little pee along with it.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to ravenraskin from:

Fireweed (03-07-2016)

I just went back and read your other thread; I think it's that she's in heat. Of course, I'm no vet but at this point, and based on everything you've said, I wouldn't be too concerned. Just watch her for any other odd symptoms.

For food, try giving her something new off the healthy lists. Maybe she's just bored of her food; that can happen. But my girl isn't eating a ton, either, now that she's in heat. So it could be just that, as well.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Fireweed from:

ravenraskin (03-07-2016)

I just went back and read your other thread; I think it's that she's in heat. Of course, I'm no vet but at this point, and based on everything you've said, I wouldn't be too concerned. Just watch her for any other odd symptoms.

For food, try giving her something new off the healthy lists. Maybe she's just bored of her food; that can happen. But my girl isn't eating a ton, either, now that she's in heat. So it could be just that, as well.
    Alright, I definitely will then. Thank you so much. It's good to know that this could be normal. I'll go to the store tomorrow and find her something new.