Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP! Squirrel babies in my wall

Default Re: HELP! Squirrel babies in my wall

Oh don't be sorry...some of us are famous ramblers well I'm glad he's old...that does usually deter them from hunting...in my experience...but I'm sure there are exceptions....but since you don't see anything killed in the yard...that's a plus maybe when it's time for the babies to leave the nest...you'll see them leaving from the closet you can keep a closer eye on the cat...maybe ask your parents to keep him in....but as you said, hopefully momma will teach them I think it's good that you and your parents look out for him...my mom just took in an old cat...probably 8-10... her neighbor moved and left her my mom has taken her in....it took about a month but she's inside now but all animals are different
    Make the world a better place...one animal at a time

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY
    When despair for the world grows in me
    and I wake in the night at the least sound
    in fear of what my life and my children’s lives may be,
    I go and lie down where the wood drake
    rests in his beauty on the water, and the great heron feeds.
    I come into the peace of wild things
    who do not tax their lives with forethought
    of grief. I come into the presence of still water.
    And I feel above me the day-blind stars
    waiting with their light. For a time
    I rest in the grace of the world, and am free.

Quote Originally Posted by Shewhosweptforest View Post
    Oh don't be sorry...some of us are famous ramblers

Kourtney, thanks for explaining. Hopefully he's a lazy old cat now who won't try anything if the babies get near for whatever reason.
    Oh! Does he wear a bell? Maybe your parents could attach a bell to his collar - that might help *just in case*. The babies will likely be afraid of him but cats can be sneaky and babies do fall/get distracted/don't pay attention at times and anything could spark Cat's interest/instinct to hunt.

You're so lucky you will get to see these babies grow up. It's not everyday one finds squirrel pups in one's closet.
    Please keep us updated!

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Fireweed from:

Kourtney12210 (03-09-2016)

How do I post pictures. Is anyone else having issues uploading pictures and videos. Sorry my question mark key is broken so there is no punctuation after questions. I have tried two seperate ways to upload the photos and neither worked. It seemed to upload but then said error with a big red exclamation mark. The other area just never actually downloaded anything I selected. The only picture I was able to upload is my profile picture. THAT'S ONE OF THE 3 BABIES. I have other videos and pictures I would like to upload for you all.

Here is 1 of 3 babies in the wall

Name:  IMG_2580[1].jpg
Views: 48
Size:  95.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Kourtney12210 View Post
    Here is 1 of 3 babies in the wall

Name:  IMG_2580[1].jpg
Views: 48
Size:  95.1 KB

Kourtney I just want to say thank you for being one of the good people in the world.
    Sadly, so many people would have freaked out and killed them or had them killed because they put a hole in their precious wall.
    You're proof we can not only coexist with but also enjoy visits from our wild friends as a unique experience.
    The damage can be fixed after and simple solutions put in place for it not to happen again once the momma gets her kids out in the wild. For having the patience to allow this to happen you'll have an experience to talk about forever.

Thanks for seeing that.
    So few do.

Watch that cat when the little ones start to venture out.
    The bell is an idea many have had success with.
    Proud Squaddy to Pee Wee Squirrel, Lebron, Marino, Griese, Csonka, Patty, Sneezy, Grumpy, Shortcake, Trixie, Stinky, Hooty, Chewey, Bucky,Peyton, Dash, Braveheart, Thelma & Louise, Plumpkin & Spice, Nemo & Dori, the three little bears Smoky, Yogi and Booboo.

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Coralreefer:

island rehabber (03-09-2016), Kourtney12210 (03-08-2016), SammysMom (03-08-2016)

Name:  IMG_2581[1].jpg
Views: 29
Size:  72.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_2582[1].jpg
Views: 23
Size:  73.5 KB

Here is a video of the babies. Mommy was out collecting food. I saw her outside right before this so I knew she was not coming back right away. She won't move the babies because I truly think she feels safe there in the wall even with us being able to reach her babies. She's been there for months and I've been in the nest several times to give her food and she's stayed. Still, I don't want to upset her so I waited till she was gone to touch one in case anyone was wondering. How old would you say the babies are since you all are the experts. I did put water out for mom yesterday. It was all gone the following day so I'm not sure if she drank it or another animal.

Thank you Coralreffer! I certainly go back and forth with the omg my home is being destroyed, but they are so sweet type of thoughts! Unfortunately, my husband is one of the individuals who wouldn't think twice about evicting her in a not so nice way. He would have the day she chewed the hole and came in the bedroom if it wasn't for me scolding him about even considering hurting it! He loves me enough to not bother her and knows he would have an unpleasant couple of months if he did. He has wanted to cover the hole that leads in our bedroom, but hasn't after my repeated pleading! lol I want to be able to see her and if he patches the hole I can't! He's not loving or particularly concerned about it like I am, but won't evict her when it would mean certifan death for her and the babies.

Oh my gosh how precious babies and the hoomin baby is that your daughter? She's absolutely beeeutiful.....and you can see her personality...it just shines

I think your lil squirrel babies are close to 3 weeks....you can just see their fur coming they look nice and healthy....mom is doing a great job another 2-2 1/2 weeks and their eyes will be open these guys may end up being your yard friends especially if you keep visiting...although as much as I'd want to...I'd be really worried that Momma's going to catch on

You're sooo lucky

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Shewhosweptforest from:

Thank you! Yes, that's my little girl, Abigail! She is excited we have baby "skuirrels" in the wall. I have moving photos on my iPhone of the babies that she was elated to see. The still photos I posted on here actually move so you see the baby moving in my hand and making noise. I didn't let her near there when I touched them because that hole is inside the wall and dusty etc so I would rather her not around it.

I do have some questions you might be able to answer, I appreciate all your info thus far!
    1. How long do they stay with mom? I read at 10 weeks they wean off milk and stay another couple weeks learning the ropes then leave. Will they go off on their own around 4 months old or so? Or stay with mom? That seems young to be on their own! Are there situations where they would stay as a unit for up to a year or adulthood of the babies? Do the babies tend to stay close to the moms nest once they leave mom for good?
    Ohh this is awful! I feel like I have three new children! lol I don't want anything to happen to any one of them.

Typically by 14 wks old the kids are on their own. In winter climates they may stay with mom all winter for warmth, but she will kick them out unceremoniously when she goes into heat again.....in this case, May/June would be the next mating season, so she won't want the kids there that long. AND...you don't want this to happen again for round two -- FALL baby season -- so as soon as all those kids are out and about climbing trees you'll want to patch up their entrance to your home. Otherwise you may have them all winter

I will join everyone in thanking you for being a good, humane, evolved human being who sees the absolute beauty in your little squirrel family -- and the privelege that you have, to be witnessing this from your bedroom wall I wish everyone was like you! (And what an extraordinary experience for your beautiful little girl to have, as well.)
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Kourtney12210 (03-09-2016), Shewhosweptforest (03-09-2016)

Here's another one of Mommy just laying. I am getting to enjoy this and would like to share with you all. [ATTACH=CONFIG]270420.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Kourtney12210 from:

Shewhosweptforest (03-09-2016)

Video of Mommy up close

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Kourtney12210 from:

Shewhosweptforest (03-09-2016)

Oh yes...thank you for sharing....I just love it...and the lil baby noises I love the pic of her...with the light illuminating her

I had to laugh when you started worrying about the little ones I always say it's like having your heart running free in the trees it's really tough...and proves they already own you

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Shewhosweptforest from:

Another question about ectoparasites like fleas, mites, and lice. I did see squirrel fleas all through the winter. They would get stuck to the tape over the hole. I did read the number of fleas peaks in the winter which is likely why there were so many. I haven't seen any on the babies or in the nest, thankfully. They are probably there and I just didn't see them. However, has anyone experienced lice or mites? Or a Squirrel flea infestation? The squirrel fleas look different from regular fleas and can't jump (which is nice). We just got over a flea problem after dog sitting for only 3 weeks. I gave the dog several baths over that time and I think that's why we had such a problem. They jumped off to avoid the bath and then their host went back home I guess. I don't want another flea problem and was wondering when & what you can put on the babies? I've seen advantage and dimastrious earth in some posts. I know they are to young right now but as it gets warmer there will be lots of fleas I'm sure. Any advice on this topic? I am not a fan of bugs and other insects, and don't want them to be tormented by the little bitting bastards either. If I befriend them I would be willing to continue the flea treatment if they would still allow me close when they are adults. What does the mites feel like if they get on you? The lice? Anyone had this? Your stories will not scare me, I appreciate the honesty. At what age could I put the food grade dimastrious earth in the nest? It would be for mom because I don't think she would let me close enough to put any other flea med on her. Do city squirrels vs country squirrels have more or less bugs typically? Or is it usually the same no matter the location?

Quote Originally Posted by Kourtney12210 View Post
    Video of Mommy up close

This stuff is so cool.
    Thanks for keeping the posting up.
    Your daughter is having such a cool experience.
    Who else can say they have a squirrel family in their wall?
    Proud Squaddy to Pee Wee Squirrel, Lebron, Marino, Griese, Csonka, Patty, Sneezy, Grumpy, Shortcake, Trixie, Stinky, Hooty, Chewey, Bucky,Peyton, Dash, Braveheart, Thelma & Louise, Plumpkin & Spice, Nemo & Dori, the three little bears Smoky, Yogi and Booboo.

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Coralreefer from:

I know shewhosweepstheforest! I feel invested in their well being! How do you tell a boy from girl parts? Can you tell from the picture of the baby I posted? I need to know gender since I will need to name the little pups! I will continue posting for you all to see this journey with us!

The baby looks like a girl...see how close her genital (for lack of a better word) is close to her anus...females have a protruding genital just like the boys...they can be very similar looking....but the lil girls are right next to their heinie....and lil boys are up higher on their abdomen make sense?

As far as parasites...I'd be very leery to treat the babies I hate to put any chemicals on them....if we rescue them..we usually pick them off...as you said they are easy to catch...and/or bathe them in Dawn dish detergent....the Diatomaceous earth is very good in the yard....but in the nest I'd be frightened they may inhale it...or as someone else said...get in their eyes they did not look like they had lice or mites...they looked really good...the one we could see...which means they all probably look good
    Thanks again for sharing

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Shewhosweptforest from:

Kourtney12210 (03-10-2016)

Mommy checking me out..

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  27.8 KB

Darn the video won't load for me...it just keeps turning like it's trying to load the pic was beautiful tho...I think it's frameable

I'll check back later

The Peace of Wild Things
    BY WENDELL BERRY

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast